babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » rabble content   » babble book lounge   » Guilty non-pleasures: books you feel guilty for disliking

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Guilty non-pleasures: books you feel guilty for disliking
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 05 May 2007 02:05 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Alias Grace by Margaret Atwood. I've never been able to get past the first chapter for some reason. Maybe the time just hasn't been right.
From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Life, the universe, everything
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 13982

posted 05 May 2007 03:13 PM      Profile for Life, the universe, everything     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Anything by Alice Munro. I can recognize the quality of the writing, but I can't bring myself to like it no matter how hard I try.
From: a little to the left - a bit more-there perfect | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
jrose
babble intern
Babbler # 13401

posted 05 May 2007 08:37 PM      Profile for jrose     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
What a great thread...

A Year of Magical Thinking by Joan Didion. I liked it, but I didn't like it AS MUCH as I felt that I was supposed to, after reading a dozen glowing reviews. I certainly didn't hate it, and took some pleasure from reading it, but I feel slightly guilty that I can't go rave about it to the many people I know who loved it and recommended it to me.

bigcitygal
Volunteer Moderator
Babbler # 8938

posted 06 May 2007 09:47 AM      Profile for bigcitygal     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
(This example doesn't quite count, but I wanted to join the conversation!)

A number of years ago a friend gave me the book "Almanac of the Dead" by Leslie Marmon Silko. It is a trade-sized paperback and is almost 800 pages long, quite long for fiction. Rumour has it it took the writer 10 years to write it. Over the years I tried at LEAST 10 times to read it and each time got into it about 30 or 40 pages and gave up. But I'm always fascinated by books that people tell me are their favourite, and feel that if a friend recommends a book then it would be worth my while to give it a read.

Finally, I finished it and I have to say, it fucking blew me AWAY. I've meant to re-read it in recent years. I highly recommend it, and understand if it takes a few years to get through it.

[ 06 May 2007: Message edited by: bigcitygal ]

From: It's difficult to work in a group when you're omnipotent - Q | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Stephen Gordon
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4600

posted 06 May 2007 12:09 PM      Profile for Stephen Gordon        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The English Patient, by Michael Ondaatje. I've tried several times, but I can't get past the first couple of chapters. This pains me: I adored In the Skin of a Lion.
-=+=-
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7072

posted 06 May 2007 12:44 PM      Profile for -=+=-   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The book David Adams Richards wrote after Mercy Among the Children. It actually seemed like a bit of a cariacture of his previous writing. I only read the first chapter.
From: Turtle Island | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Farmpunk
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 12955

posted 07 May 2007 02:06 AM      Profile for Farmpunk     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I agree with most titles and authors put forward, starting with Alias Grace. Atwood is either on, or off, for me. I made it throught the English Patient, but just barely, and I kept wondering when something was going to happen.

I wasn't that hot on Chabon's 'Cavalier and Clay'.

"No Great Mischief", Alistair Macleaod. Just because he takes five years plus to write his books doesn't mean they're any good. Repetitve. Take out the phrase "gille beag ruadh" and the book becomes a long short story.

M.Gregus
babble intern
Babbler # 13402

posted 07 May 2007 06:09 AM      Profile for M.Gregus     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The Shipping News by Annie Proulx. Maybe I could try returning to it now, but picking it up a couple of years ago on the way to Newfoundland for a wedding did not go well. It felt like a slow, heavy slog and after a couple of chapters (which are SHORT!), with several hours to go on the ferry, it was not opened again.
From: capital region | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
jas
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 9529

posted 07 May 2007 07:11 AM      Profile for jas     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Anything by Kafka. Or Chomsky, for that matter
From: the world we want | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 07 May 2007 08:25 AM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Oh, well, if we're going to get academic about it, I could list half the philosophy writing I had to read in university. Lord but so much of that writing was utter crap, despite the great ideas that came out of it.
From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
N.Beltov
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4140

posted 07 May 2007 08:35 AM      Profile for N.Beltov   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Michelle:I could list half the philosophy writing I had to read in university. Lord but so much of that writing was utter crap ...

You're in very good company. Philosopher Daniel Dennett, an adaptationist similar to Richard Dawkins, has noted that standard philosophical terminology is worse than useless and a major obstacle to progress since it consists of so many errors.

From: Vancouver Island | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca