babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » rabble content   » babble book lounge   » Beyond Token Change by Anne Bishop

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Beyond Token Change by Anne Bishop
Le Téléspectateur
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7126

posted 08 December 2006 12:11 PM      Profile for Le Téléspectateur     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I just picked up this book because I have read Becoming and Ally and really liked it.

Bishop uses the story of five women who are caught in the racist mechanisms of an East Coast Canadian University. From these stories she develops a really interesting model of how institutions function (she uses quantum theory among other things!) and why it is so hard to go beyond token change in addressing issues of race, class, gender and other forms of oppression in seemingly progressive institutions.

Her writing style is accessible and interesting and she is a brilliant academic who grounds her theory in real life.

I recommend this book to anyone and I am interested to hear what other Babblers think about the book.

From: More here than there | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
bigcitygal
Volunteer Moderator
Babbler # 8938

posted 10 December 2006 07:36 AM      Profile for bigcitygal     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I love Anne Bishop and still use "Becoming an Ally" in AR/AO workshops and trainings. I've read most of "Beyond Token Change" and I love it as well. Her analysis has always been thorough and clear.

For another rocking book on organzational change and struggle, try "Dancing on Live Embers: Challenging Racism in Organizations" by Tina Lopes and Barb Thomas, local (Toronto) educators who are kinda buds of mine and kick some serious butt!

From: It's difficult to work in a group when you're omnipotent - Q | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca