babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » rabble content   » babble book lounge   » Bitter Chocolate: Investigating the Dark Side of the World's Most Seductive Sweet

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Bitter Chocolate: Investigating the Dark Side of the World's Most Seductive Sweet
M.Gregus
babble intern
Babbler # 13402

posted 31 October 2006 08:26 AM      Profile for M.Gregus     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Halloween seems like a timely occasion to consider Carol Off's new book on chocolate.

The book description sets up Bitter Chocolate as "a social history, a passionate investigative account and an eye-opening exposé of the workings of a multi-billion dollar industry that has institutionalized misery as it served our pleasures." I haven't read it yet but have placed a request on it at my local library. Being a fan of Off's documentary style (from CBC), I'm looking forward to her account of the history of exploitation behind chocolate.

From: capital region | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
Rundler
editor
Babbler # 2699

posted 01 November 2006 06:39 AM      Profile for Rundler     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
You can look forward to a review of this book coming up in rabble reviews too!
From: the murky world of books books books | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
M.Gregus
babble intern
Babbler # 13402

posted 01 November 2006 09:29 PM      Profile for M.Gregus     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Glad to hear it! There's nothing like a good, critical review to increase the anticipation for a book.
Rundler
editor
Babbler # 2699

posted 02 November 2006 04:46 PM      Profile for Rundler     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
If people are interested in fair trade chocolate, check out the cocoa camino ad circulating at the top of this page. (Gee, now I'm really debunking that rep for being marketing obsessed -- believe me, it's only when it comes to supporting rabble.)
From: the murky world of books books books | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 02 November 2006 04:51 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Good lord, woman.

(Although, actually, I bought a bag of their Hallowe'en chocolate and oh my GOD was it good. Vegan, fair trade chocolate. What's not to love? I was going to mention that in this thread - as my own experience, not as a marketing thing! - a few days ago and forgot.)

From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
M.Gregus
babble intern
Babbler # 13402

posted 02 November 2006 09:01 PM      Profile for M.Gregus     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Heh. I will confess that my eyes were drawn repeatedly to the cocoa camino banner in this topic/thread especially.
Lana Strop
recent-rabble-rouser
Babbler # 13491

posted 09 November 2006 05:22 PM      Profile for Lana Strop     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Halloween is one of the holidays we allow in the house. We let the children eat chocolate and sip a small amount of wine. South African wine and South African chocolate seem to have an organic relation. Perhaps it is the soil they both grow in.
From: [IMG]http://www.xs4all.nl/~ernstmul/images/nieuw/bunny7.gif[/IMG][IMG]http://www | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
M.Gregus
babble intern
Babbler # 13402

posted 10 November 2006 07:59 AM      Profile for M.Gregus     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
So about 80% of the world's chocolate comes from Africa. I didn't know that. After reading your comment about South African chocolate and wine, Lana Strop, I had to go look it up since I know little about chocolate production.

Speaking of chocolate, the absolute best vegan chocolate cake is at Cafe Mosaic in Edmonton. I don't know how or if vegan chocolate tastes different than non-vegan, but I still dream about the rich taste of that cake. Sorry if that's a tangent, but that had to be mentioned.

Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 10 November 2006 09:04 AM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'm planning to get my diabetic grandmother some fair trade, dark chocolate for Christmas. She misses chocolate a lot, and dark chocolate doesn't have as much sugar as the mass-marketed milk chocolate stuff. And a little bit goes a long way, tastewise.

The thing is, I wanted to get some from cocoa camino because I had some of their individually-wrapped little chocolates a couple of weeks ago. But apparently they only do that for Hallowe'en. I guess maybe I'll get her a couple of the chocolate bars. Unlike the rest of us, my Oma can actually control herself and won't eat the whole thing in one sitting. I just thought the individual ones would be nice, though.

I'm also breaking my lifelong Turtles-buying tradition this year. I have bought Turtles for my mother for Christmas every year, probably since before I was even conscious of giving them to her. Ever since I can remember, anyhow. But now that I'm vegan, I'm not planning to do that, and she would prefer some fair trade chocolate anyhow. So, I guess that'll become the new tradition.

From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
M.Gregus
babble intern
Babbler # 13402

posted 15 February 2007 09:00 AM      Profile for M.Gregus     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
In the radio book lounge, Alexandra Sumar discusses fair-trade chocolate in The Chocolate Episode, which includes a segment with Carol Off.
Rundler
editor
Babbler # 2699

posted 15 February 2007 01:59 PM      Profile for Rundler     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
We've got a written review and Alex Samur's interview with both Carol Off and a fair-trade chocolate co-op. As the book lounge slogan goes -- great minds don't always think alike. Can't wait to hear what some other great minds have to say right here.

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca