babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » rabble content   » babble book lounge   » Racial Profiling in Canada: Challenging the Myth of a Few Bad Apples

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Racial Profiling in Canada: Challenging the Myth of a Few Bad Apples
bigcitygal
Volunteer Moderator
Babbler # 8938

posted 10 September 2006 05:22 AM      Profile for bigcitygal     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I just saw this review on the babble book lounge. I bought the book a month or so ago, but haven't had a good look at it yet.

From the review, by Shannon Devine:

quote:

Long before the first security certificate (used by police and government to remove a permanent resident suspected of terrorism, organized crime or human-rights violations) was ever issued, Black, Aboriginal and other communities of colour suffered from criminalization, heavy surveillance, high rates of incarceration, and routine police harassment and violence in Canada as elsewhere. Racial profiling is a manifestation of the same colonial legacy that enacted genocide on Aboriginal peoples, stole the children of those who remained, made it illegal during slavery for African Canadians to learn to read or write, and barred Chinese people from entering the country from 1923-1947. You could say racial profiling is as much a part of Canadian heritage as log houses and maple syrup.

Full review here

From: It's difficult to work in a group when you're omnipotent - Q | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
jeff house
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 518

posted 10 September 2006 11:25 AM      Profile for jeff house     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The book looks good. I am not so sure about the review, which speaks of racial profiling as being a heritage of colonialism.

I suppose that is true if one means that the entire colour-coded social structure results from
colonialism.

But I think lots of people who are racist are not colonizers. Anti-black racism is present in the South East Asian community, in the Chinese community, and elsewhere.

I have met Frances Henry, and know her work, which is generally excellent. I am sure babblers will learn from this book. I will.

BetterRed
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 11865

posted 11 September 2006 09:02 AM      Profile for BetterRed     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
I suppose that is true if one means that the entire colour-coded social structure results from
colonialism.

Well the topic is touchy, but I think that colonialism has a part to play here. For decades,most immigrants were coming from Commonwealth countries. Either "mother England" or her colonies, like India, Pakistan, Hong Kong, Jamaica, Guyana etc. Many still immigrate from there.

So,yes, these people would be moving and interacting throughout the British Empire. Some of the mutual prejudices could date back to that era. That includes other communities' views on blacks, like you mentioned.
Just because Canada never had colonies, doesnt mean that we wouldnt be affected by colonial legacy.
Also one must note the systemic prejudice against immigrants who dont happen to come from the Commonwealth, and thus speak no ENglish.

From: They change the course of history, everyday ppl like you and me | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
scooter
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5548

posted 14 September 2006 06:55 AM      Profile for scooter     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jeff house:
which speaks of racial profiling as being a heritage of colonialism.

How would that explain racial profiling around the world? Much of it developed well before the British Empire. I can think of the caste system in India, tribal systems found all around the world.

Slavery was actively practiced by a number of native tribes in B.C. well before Canada was colonized.

Makwa
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10724

posted 14 September 2006 09:07 AM      Profile for Makwa   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by scooter:
Slavery was actively practiced by a number of native tribes in B.C. well before Canada was colonized.
Well, the next time a BC native group establishes a 400 year global system of brutality, enslavement, genocide and colonialism we'll talk. Otherwise you don't get a 'please excuse the historical racism' card from me.

From: Here at the glass - all the usual problems, the habitual farce | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
kropotkin1951
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2732

posted 14 September 2006 04:28 PM      Profile for kropotkin1951   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
bump to de-spam
From: North of Manifest Destiny | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
bigcitygal
Volunteer Moderator
Babbler # 8938

posted 04 October 2006 04:32 PM      Profile for bigcitygal     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:

Book Launch!!

For the book: Racial Profiling in Canada: Challenging the Myth of a "Few Bad Apples" by Carol Tator and Frances Henry

Join the co-authors and panelists: Charles C. Smith, Maureen Brown, Co-founder of Association of Law Enforcement Officers in Canada David Mitchell, President of the Jamaican Canadian Association Sandra Carnegie-Douglas and Alok Mukherjee, Chair of the Toronto Police Services Board.

Thurs Oct 19
6:30 to 9:30pm
Centre for Social Innovation
215 Spadina Ave, Suite 120
Toronto

From: It's difficult to work in a group when you're omnipotent - Q | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
busternrockys_mom
recent-rabble-rouser
Babbler # 13296

posted 04 October 2006 04:58 PM      Profile for busternrockys_mom     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by bigcitygal:
[QB][/QB]

Would if I could, but I can't. I abhor driving in Toronto. I'll have to wait until the book comes to Chapters or Coles. It sounds fascinating, though. Thanks for the heads up.

[ 04 October 2006: Message edited by: busternrockys_mom ]

From: Newbury, Ontario | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
bigcitygal
Volunteer Moderator
Babbler # 8938

posted 04 October 2006 05:08 PM      Profile for bigcitygal     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
[drift]
Hey busternrockys_mom. Welcome to babble.

I hope you can get the book but PLEASE don't buy it or any other books at Chapters or Coles! Don't get me started!
[/drift]

Rundler
editor
Babbler # 2699

posted 05 October 2006 07:31 AM      Profile for Rundler     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Maybe we can get in in the rabble online bookstore for you -- then you're supporting babble and getting a great book at the same time! Find the bookstore here: www.rabble.ca/lounge
From: the murky world of books books books | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
bigcitygal
Volunteer Moderator
Babbler # 8938

posted 05 October 2006 09:59 AM      Profile for bigcitygal     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Jeez, you marketing types never miss a chance do you?
Rundler
editor
Babbler # 2699

posted 23 October 2006 04:04 PM      Profile for Rundler     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Marketing me again! I believe the book will be in the rabble bookstore very shortly. Yay!! Support rabble and have a book delivered to your door too! www.rabble.ca/bookstore
From: the murky world of books books books | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca