babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » rabble content   » babble book lounge   » Trans/forming Feminisms: Transfeminist Voices Speak Out

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Trans/forming Feminisms: Transfeminist Voices Speak Out
bigcitygal
Volunteer Moderator
Babbler # 8938

posted 09 September 2006 06:01 AM      Profile for bigcitygal     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:

Sumach Press is pleased to announce the publication of

Trans/Forming Feminisms: Transfeminist Voices Speak Out
Edited by Krista Scott-Dixon

"The clear voices assembled here provide a profound and thought-provoking exploration of gender-related political analysis and social justice initiatives. Highly recommended!"
-- Jamison Green, activist and educator, author of Becoming a Visible Man

Editor Krista Scott-Dixon has assembled a
groundbreaking anthology that challenges us to build more inclusive transfeminist politics. These 21 insightful essays reflect the academic, personal, and political perspectives of contributors from Canada, the US, and Europe. Jean Bobby Noble, barbara findlay, Miqqi Alicia/Michael Gilbert, Kyle Scanlon, Talia Bettcher, Joshua Goldberg, and Caroline White, as well as new voices in the field, explore the interconnections between trans and feminist ideas and issues.

The contributors write about individual experiences and representation; the production and reproduction of diverse identities and how these identities can work collectively; the notion of "safe spaces" and "women-only spaces" in the contexts of the Kimberly Nixon case and the entrance policies of the Michigan Womyn's Music Festival; strategies to deal with sexual assault and anti-trans violence; and policy initiatives that ensure safety within shelters.

Trans/Forming Feminisms is an invaluable collection for progressive academics, students, and social activists interested in tackling these compelling and challenging issues.

About the editor: Krista Scott-Dixon has a PhD in
women's studies and currently teaches and does
research at York University. Along with trans and
feminist issues, her research interests include
gender, work, and technology. She is one of the
editors of Trans-Health.com, an online health and fitness zine for trans people; and the author of Doing IT: Women Working in Information Technology (Sumach Press, 2004).

For more information or to book an interview with the editor, please contact sumachpublicity@yahoo.ca

Sumach Press

[ 09 September 2006: Message edited by: bigcitygal ]

From: It's difficult to work in a group when you're omnipotent - Q | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
500_Apples
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 12684

posted 09 September 2006 06:16 AM      Profile for 500_Apples   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
[Thread Drift, sorry BigCityGal]

There was a good article in a recent issue of Science by Female2Male transsexual scientist Robert Barr -I don't remember his original name - in which he critiqued the so-called Summers effect. Anyhow, a lot of women members of this board have often said to many male members words along the lines of "if only you could spend some time as a women you'd understand." Of course that'd be difficult to pull off.

It was interesting to read some of Robert Barr's anecdotes. Now that he's male, he now has better spatio-visual skills (though he doesn't find it's helping him with his driving), and he finds it very difficult to cry whereas before crying was much easier and more common. On the other hand, he's relieved he can now say a full sentence without being interrupted by a man. At one conference, he overheard a scientific colleague say that his research was "much better than his sister's." Ummm... ouch.

From: Montreal, Quebec | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
unionist
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 11323

posted 09 September 2006 06:19 AM      Profile for unionist     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by 500_Apples:
Of course that'd be difficult to pull off.

Very funny.

bigcitygal
Volunteer Moderator
Babbler # 8938

posted 09 September 2006 07:26 AM      Profile for bigcitygal     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I haven't read the book above, but it sounds amazing, and some of the contributors are Toronto-based people who I know/have heard of.

But on the issue of FTMs and presenting as male, I've found that many white FTMs experience just what you described, 500, but FTMs of colour experience the opposite. A Black FTM I know experiences, not more racism, but a different kind of racism ever since he began transitioning, has grown facial hair, etc. He presents as a Black man, which has very different implications than presenting as a Black queer butch woman.

The 519 Community Centre gives a very good Trans Awareness 101 seminar. I attended one held at my workplace awhile ago. I recommend it for anyone interested in learning more basic info about trans issues, including what transition is like for FTMs and MTFs.

From: It's difficult to work in a group when you're omnipotent - Q | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
500_Apples
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 12684

posted 09 September 2006 07:45 AM      Profile for 500_Apples   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Unionist I wasn't making any inside joke, just what the hell are you halucinating I'm talking about? Anyhow, here's a link from dictionary.com to help you understand what I was talking about:

"pull off, Informal. to perform successfully, esp. something requiring courage, daring, or shrewdness: We'll be rich if we can pull the deal off. "

Pull Off Reference

[ 09 September 2006: Message edited by: 500_Apples ]

unionist
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 11323

posted 09 September 2006 07:47 AM      Profile for unionist     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Sorry Unuionist I wasn't making any pun, just what the hell are you halucinating I'm talking about?

Oh my aren't we touchy. Ok, no more jokes, not even bad ones, they're obviously lost on you.

500_Apples
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 12684

posted 09 September 2006 10:20 AM      Profile for 500_Apples   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Unionist wrote:

quote:
Oh my aren't we touchy. Ok, no more jokes, not even bad ones, they're obviously lost on you.

Well I suspected what you meant but didn't think you were like that. I think it's very rude and insensitive to post a castration joke on a thread about transsexual. It also sidetracked the thread which is unfortunate, I'll let this subthread die as such.

bigcitygal
Volunteer Moderator
Babbler # 8938

posted 09 September 2006 10:23 AM      Profile for bigcitygal     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
I think it's very rude and insensitive to post a castration joke on a thread about transsexual.

That's why I ignored it, but I appreciate your post, 500. Thanks.

Rundler
editor
Babbler # 2699

posted 09 September 2006 11:23 AM      Profile for Rundler     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'm glad to see a thread on this book. (I worked on the book so I can say with first-hand knowledge, if rather biased, that it is a fantastic collection.) You might be interested to read a review by the editor of the collection, Krista Scott-Dixon, on rabble of another recent book about trans issues: http://www.rabble.ca/reviews/review.shtml?x=50667
From: the murky world of books books books | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca