babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » rabble content   » babble book lounge   » Summer library reading programs

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Summer library reading programs
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 04 July 2006 08:46 AM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Last summer, my son signed up for the Toronto Public Library's summer reading program, and he was so excited about it. It was the first time I was able to get him to read books willingly, and not be so frustrated about not being able to read quickly or sounding out letters or whatever.

When the children sign up for the program, they get a poster and a booklet. Everytime they go to the library and hand in the books they've read, they get a sticker to put on the poster (they only count one book per visit, so if you've read three or four, tough luck, only one counts). At the end of the summer, if you've read a certain number of books (maybe eight?), you get a certificate. My son didn't get his certificate because, despite having read the books, they only counted one per visit (and he wasn't with me for the whole summer, so we didn't get to the library eight times), and we went in with the final book one day after the deadline, which was before summer was over (stupid me, I hadn't checked), so he didn't get one. So, I bought him a bunch of stickers to make up for the ones he didn't get from the library, and he was happy.

Anyhow, so we're signing up again this summer (going tonight, in fact, since he just arrived on Saturday), and this time, we'll be going twice a week, and making sure to get that certificate. Not that it would matter. My munchkin, who was so frustrated last summer over sounding out words, is now such a bookworm that he reads through everything, and has his nose in a book every night once he gets into bed. He has two magazine subscriptions ("Know" and "Chickadee"), and devours them. I love this age!

So...anyone else have summer reading clubs in their libraries? Are your kids (or kids close to you) involved in it? Memories of reading clubs you were in as kids?

From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Whazzup?
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1471

posted 06 July 2006 02:49 AM      Profile for Whazzup?     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think the summer reading club in Ontario public libraries is a province-wide thing. It's great. My two kids love it, and they even let two-year-olds, like my son, join. He gets to count books that have been read to him.

My only complaint about the program this year is the whole theme -- "Quest for Heroes." The poster and accompanying booklet have a big cartoon of a couple kids wearing a superhero costume a la Superman (with a big "H" instead of an "S".) Isn't there a better way of luring kids into the world of imagination than evoking a crappy old comic book? I mean, really. I understand that comic books can be a useful way of getting a kid to read -- I know some very sharp people who learned to read by reading comic books. But is it necessary to promote this view, particularly when it involves the absolute worst example of a Superhero? Don't books have other more imaginative worlds to evoke than this?

OK, curmudgeon mode off.

From: Under the Rubble | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 06 July 2006 03:29 AM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Oh, is it province-wide? That's neat! I should have known, actually, because I saw the same poster in the Picton library, but it also said "Toronto Public Library" on it, so I thought maybe they just borrowed it from Toronto.

Anyhow, yeah, I know what you mean about the superheroes. However...in their booklets and stuff, they list a bunch of "heroes" like Einstein and Laura Secord and others. So, perhaps the superhero thing is the "grabber" and then they suck them in to learning about great scholars and historical figures.

From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Whazzup?
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1471

posted 06 July 2006 10:09 AM      Profile for Whazzup?     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Michelle:
OSo, perhaps the superhero thing is the "grabber" and then they suck them in to learning about great scholars and historical figures.

Yeh, I was thinking about that this morning. Maybe it even works. Along the same lines, how about "Lara Croft: Book Raider," or maybe "X-books" [instead of x-box, of course]. The possibilities are endless. (And painful to contemplate.)

From: Under the Rubble | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 06 July 2006 04:26 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
X-books! I love it.
Babbling_Jenn
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10944

posted 10 July 2006 09:24 PM      Profile for Babbling_Jenn     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I want the sticker system for adults. That would be amazing. And the certificates too.
From: Rural Ontario | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca