babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » rabble content   » babble book lounge   » I Hate Myself and Want to Die: The 52 Most Depressing Songs You've Ever Heard

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: I Hate Myself and Want to Die: The 52 Most Depressing Songs You've Ever Heard
Adam T
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4631

posted 21 June 2006 02:09 AM      Profile for Adam T     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
By Tom Reynolds
Not a political book, but it looks like an enjoyable read.

The idea is sad songs that went so off the rails somewhere they are just awful, or, as the author puts it, depressing.

As this Seattle Times article shows, his writing style is lively and witty.

http://tinyurl.com/8oq4l

The last paragraph in the article is worth showing here:

"A few who've read the book have said that I'll burn in hell for what I wrote. But then again, after listening to 30 different covers of "Send in the Clowns," including Grace Jones' disco version, all I can say is "been there, done that.""

Fidel
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5594

posted 21 June 2006 08:54 AM      Profile for Fidel     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I know she's a godess, but when Carol Pope sang the words, "I'm a victim of fashion, fashion and access-o-ries" in the 1980's, I instinctively searched for the nearest bridge to throw myself off of. I swear it was a CIA mind control experiment gone awry.
From: Viva La Revolución | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
S1m0n
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 11427

posted 21 June 2006 09:00 AM      Profile for S1m0n        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Lou Reed's Berlin is the most depressing rock & roll ever made.
Fidel
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5594

posted 21 June 2006 09:12 AM      Profile for Fidel     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Still can't listen to "The Wall" album when I've got dolls on. As John Candy once said, boohoo it hurts.
obscurantist
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 8238

posted 21 June 2006 10:50 AM      Profile for obscurantist     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Quoting Nick Hornby (and not for the first time on this topic):
quote:
Some of my favourite songs: 'Only Love Can Break Your Heart' by Neil Young; 'Last Night I Dreamed That Somebody Loved Me' by the Smiths; 'Call Me' by Aretha Franklin; 'I Don't Want to Talk About It' by anybody. And then there's 'Love Hurts' and 'When Love Breaks Down' and 'How Can You Mend a Broken Heart' and 'The Speed Of The Sound Of Loneliness' and 'She's Gone' and 'I Just Don't Know What To Do With Myself' and ... some of these songs I have listened to around once a week, on average (three hundred times in the first month, every now and again thereafter), since I was sixteen or nineteen or twenty-one. How can that not leave you bruised somewhere? How can that not turn you into the sort of person liable to break into little bits when your first love goes all wrong?

What came first, the music or the misery? People worry about kids playing with guns, or watching violent videos, that some sort of culture of violence will take them over. Nobody worries about kids listening to thousands, literally thousands of songs about heartbreak, rejection, pain, misery and loss. Did I listen to pop music because I was miserable? Or was I miserable because I listened to pop music?

From: an unweeded garden | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
paxamillion
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2836

posted 21 June 2006 11:06 AM      Profile for paxamillion   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Cabaret Voltaire: "Why Kill Time When You Can Kill Yourself"
From: the process of recovery | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Papal Bull
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7050

posted 21 June 2006 07:35 PM      Profile for Papal Bull   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Elliot Smith...anything.
From: Vatican's best darned ranch | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Fidel
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5594

posted 21 June 2006 07:37 PM      Profile for Fidel     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Lyin' Eyes, Eagles
My Heart Will Go On, Deline Cion
"Without You", Harry Nilsson
"So Lonely", Police
"Bohemian Rhapsody", Queen
"It's Alright, Ma(I'm only Bleeding)" Bob Dylan
"Sweet Sixteen", William "Billy" Broad
"Auld Lang Syne", Guy Lumbago
"Suspicious Minds", Elvis/Dwight Yoakam
"Mother", Pink Floyd
"The Sounds Of Silence", Simon & Garfunkel
"The Lion Sleeps Tonight", The Tokens
"You've Lost That Loving Feeling", Righteous Brothers
"California Dreamin'",Mamas And The Papas
===
My god I've got to stop. I'm weeping so much already I can't see the screen!!!

arthur
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 11794

posted 21 June 2006 08:00 PM      Profile for arthur     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Goblin is at various times either eerie, beautifully eerie or as depressing as slush.
Doug
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 44

posted 22 June 2006 11:28 AM      Profile for Doug   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 

From: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
mayakovsky
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5171

posted 22 June 2006 07:28 PM      Profile for mayakovsky     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Joy Divison 'Still' an amazing collection. And the live section at the end. I turn the lights out but with the lights out its not less dangerous.
Américain Égalitaire
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7911

posted 22 June 2006 07:54 PM      Profile for Américain Égalitaire   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Flying seagulls - The Story of a Young Heart - the whole album.

Atlantic City - Bruce Springsteen

Unsent - Alanis

Say Hello, Say Goodbye -- Soft Cel (a REAL tear jerker)

(am I dating myself as an 80s guy here?)

I Don't Like Mondays -- Boomtown Rats (but in a fun way).

He Thinks He'll Keep Her - Mary Chapin Carpenter (the bounciest sad song in history)

Shriner's Park (personal favourite sad song) - Melissa Etheridge

Father Christmas - Emerson Lake and Palmer

Old Friends/Bookends - Simon and Garfunkel

Taxi - Harry Chapin (ok, I'm a sap, I admit it). Also include his version of Remember When the Music.

Camelot Finale - Richard Burton (double sap, it makes me think of a country I used to know - 'for one brief shining moment. . .')

No More I Love You's -- Annie Lennox

Enough, I'm depressed enough already.

From: Chardon, Ohio USA | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Fidel
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5594

posted 22 June 2006 09:24 PM      Profile for Fidel     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
<--- he's supposed to be weeping buckets

[ 22 June 2006: Message edited by: Fidel ]

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca