babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » rabble content   » babble book lounge   » A book banning, a golden spruce and the superhero in all of us

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: A book banning, a golden spruce and the superhero in all of us
Rundler
editor
Babbler # 2699

posted 21 April 2006 09:34 AM      Profile for Rundler     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Find it all this week in the book lounge reviews: www.rabble.ca/reviews

Discuss it all here!

So, when was the last time you thought about where your BILLY bookcase came from?

From: the murky world of books books books | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 21 April 2006 12:49 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Oh, please don't tell me IKEA are bad guys. Please! They're my last resort.
From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
eau
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10058

posted 21 April 2006 01:21 PM      Profile for eau        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I haven't read the Golden Spruce yet, but several of my friends have and without exception they all have commented on the book and the story as a must read. I am next in line for the book which is being passed along to me and I can't wait.
Rundler
editor
Babbler # 2699

posted 21 April 2006 01:34 PM      Profile for Rundler     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
IKEA's website actually indicates for each product specifics on the material used, so it's possible to chose IKEA stuff that uses recycled stuff, and other good things.
From: the murky world of books books books | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 21 April 2006 01:49 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Well, I had thought they had some environmental policies like that (trying to use recycled products), which is why I thought it might not be so bad to shop there. I never buy furniture for the sake of buying it anyhow, so I guess they're as good as anywhere else when you need a bed or a table.
From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
arborman
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4372

posted 27 April 2006 05:48 PM      Profile for arborman     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Michelle:
Well, I had thought they had some environmental policies like that (trying to use recycled products), which is why I thought it might not be so bad to shop there. I never buy furniture for the sake of buying it anyhow, so I guess they're as good as anywhere else when you need a bed or a table.

Actually, they aren't nearly as good as a used furniture store. Save an extra hundred, go buy a solid used table that has been around for 40 years - implying a likelihood of another 40. Anything from Ikea has a life expectancy of less than 5 years or two moves.

We've given up on Ikea altogether - a bookshelf from Ikea's about $100, a solid, nice bookshelf at an antique store or other used furniture store about the same or a bit more.

Our Ikea bookshelf is currently (barely) standing at the end of the hallway, with a wall on each side propping it up. Anywhere else and it would be a hazard.

From: I'm a solipsist - isn't everyone? | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca