babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » rabble content   » babble book lounge   » Ancient Book Bound in Human Skin Discovered

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Ancient Book Bound in Human Skin Discovered
robbie_dee
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 195

posted 09 April 2006 02:03 AM      Profile for robbie_dee     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Associated Press

quote:
LONDON - A 300-year-old book that appears to be bound in human skin has been found in northern England, police said Saturday.

The macabre discovery was made on a central street in Leeds, and officers said the ledger may have been dumped following a burglary.

Detectives were trying to trace its rightful owner and believe it may have been taken from a dwelling in the area.

Anyone else read H.P. Lovecraft? Because my first thought was that this was the Necronomicon, although the AP article provides a more rational explanation later on.

[ 09 April 2006: Message edited by: robbie_dee ]

Papal Bull
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7050

posted 10 April 2006 11:18 AM      Profile for Papal Bull   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Do you think that it could be HAUNTED?
From: Vatican's best darned ranch | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Nikita
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 9050

posted 10 April 2006 12:59 PM      Profile for Nikita     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Gross!

I don't know why I find this so repulsive, I suppose it isn't that different from using cow skin for things. Not that I own any leather garments; wearing leather gives me the heebie-jeebies.

jeff house
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 518

posted 10 April 2006 05:50 PM      Profile for jeff house     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The story does not refer to any authority for the suggestion that the book is bound in human skin.

Why would we believe that it is? Because a police officer says so?

I have never heard of the practice they refer to. I am extremely sceptical about this story.

Kindly Wise
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 8699

posted 10 April 2006 06:05 PM      Profile for Kindly Wise     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
There are books bound in

human hide even in North American libraries.

Maybe the cover of this ledger has a tattoo of some patriotic slogan or ornamentation that a cow or pig would be unlikely to have. (For that matter, how many people do you know that have "Little, Brown & Co" or "Penguin Press" tattoed on their chest, back or buttocks?)

And, really, 1700 isn't exactly ancient, just old. Older than me, at least, which is saying a lot.

From: Etobicoke, Ontario | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
jeff house
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 518

posted 10 April 2006 06:29 PM      Profile for jeff house     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Thanks for that link. There is useful information there. I don't at all think that 1700 is very long ago; on the contrary it is nearly modern.

I was trying to imagine a publisher doing this; the link suggests it was done (on those rare occasions when it WAS done) by doctors who used the skins of cadavers they were dissecting (probably illegally.)

So I am less skeptical than before. Still, there is no source for the suggestion that it is HUMAN skin. I know many other types of animal skins were used in books. A few years ago, a gnostic gospel was analysed to determine the type of animal skin used in its pages. The DNA analysis showed that it was the skin of a cheetah.

Sven
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 9972

posted 13 April 2006 02:36 AM      Profile for Sven     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Eewww!!
From: Eleutherophobics of the World...Unite!!!!! | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Critical Mass2
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10908

posted 13 April 2006 05:55 PM      Profile for Critical Mass2        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
bump
From: AKA Critical Mass or Critical Mass3 - Undecided in Ottawa/Montreal | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca