FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » rabble content   » babble book lounge   » what you'd like to read

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: what you'd like to read
Rundler
editor
Babbler # 2699

posted 16 February 2006 12:28 PM      Profile for Rundler     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hi all book-loving babblers,
As editor of the book-review section on the site, I'm looking for your thoughts, comments and suggestions about what we're doing, what you'd like to see us do, what would make you want to gallop in vast numbers to the review section... I can't guarantee we'll be able to act on the suggestions but it would certainly help guide me as the section develops. And don't forget, if you're interested in writing a review, drop me a line with your writing credentials and your ideas at lisa@rabble.ca.
Best,
Lisa

From: the murky world of books books books | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 17 February 2006 11:14 AM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Lisa, I have two divergent reading interests - one is ultra-fine writing of any kind (essays, fiction, history, memoirs); the other is the world of health care and medical research.

It may be that the kind of critical views of medicine and health care I'm interested in don't often end up being books - that would be a practical problem, for sure.

Every once in a while we get good, moderately political summary columns from a couple of the regular Globe writers, though, and I wonder whether it might be worth talking to one of them to keep an eye out for interesting books, written for lay readers, about what is happening in the various health-care and research industries.

Sorry to be so vague, but that's because I don't know enough, even though I suspect that there's more out there we should be hearing about, and someone in the biz would know more.

I know, eg, that there are good books around about Big Pharma. That would be more political. There are also a few around about breakthroughs in various kinds of therapy - those might be more self-help.

Rundler
editor
Babbler # 2699

posted 17 February 2006 12:37 PM      Profile for Rundler     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
This is very helpful. I'll keep my eye out for stuff. Which Globe writers in particular seem to cover this beat?
From: the murky world of books books books | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 21 February 2006 09:47 AM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Lisa, I will watch through the week for a couple of others of my favourites to pop up, but for sure the Globe health reporter I always read seriously is Andre Picard.

He is into the politics of it all, even the economics. There have been a couple of times he has written a bit coldly, I thought, about the economics of (what shall I call them? extreme? most advanced?) new treatments for particular small groups, although I would always acknowledge that people need to hear much more realistic assessments of many health challenges, and he does that really well.

I always pay attention to what he's writing.

And he goes out and reports, too. Yesterday he published a splendid article (front page, too! although below the fold) about the collaboration between a leading researcher into autism (who happens to be Canadian) and a Canadian woman who has autism - it was really inspiring to me and to anyone, I think, who is convinced that new therapies are promising for all kinds of people with mental disabilities.

Take him to lunch, Lisa!

lagatta
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2534

posted 21 February 2006 10:04 AM      Profile for lagatta     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
That is also a good excuse to come to Montréal, Lisa!

Hmm, I like to read all sorts of things - of course I'm interested in languages, but beyond that, on resistances and initiatives in different parts of the world, in particular by women. And a particular interest of mine is urbanism, town planning and the development of public transport and town planning that favours walking, cycling and the use of public transport accessible to all, including disabled people, seniors and parents with small children.

From: Se non ora, quando? | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 21 February 2006 12:40 PM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Lisa: Also Carolyn Abraham. I don't recall ever seeing her write a column on the pre-ed page (where Picard does regularly appear) - she is out reporting, often on big, slow stories, it seems to me. Lately she seems to have been working on DNA research.
Rundler
editor
Babbler # 2699

posted 21 February 2006 03:07 PM      Profile for Rundler     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
This is all amazing. Thank you. I think a few of the pieces I have in the works will interest you, L. And I love taking people to lunch. Now about that expense account...
catje
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7841

posted 22 February 2006 01:42 AM      Profile for catje     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Y'know, it is a weird weird category, but I find that most of the novels I have really enjoyed lately have been by Globe columnists. Rick Salutin's 'The Age of Improv'; anything by Russell Smith. I just got one of Lynn Crosbie's novels out of the library, and I'm [don't hit me!] quite looking forward to Leah McLaren's.

There are a lot of journalists Whose. Punchy. Writing. Drives. Me. Mad. if stretched over more than three paragraphs, but something about the Globe crew- a keen eye for characteristic detail and human paradox I suppose, really does it.

skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 22 February 2006 08:51 AM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
catje: Forgive me, but if you say "Leah McLaren" one more time, I may ...

Just kidding. I only take verbal swings.

I guess she's ... harmless. Probably. More or less.

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca