babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » rabble content   » babble book lounge   » This week in the book lounge reviews

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: This week in the book lounge reviews
Rundler
editor
Babbler # 2699

posted 09 February 2006 09:09 AM      Profile for Rundler     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Maggie Helwig on John Terpstra's The Boys, or, Waiting for the Electrician's Daughter, a nominee for the 2006 Charles Taylor Prize for Literary Non-Fiction: http://www.rabble.ca/reviews/review.shtml?x=46518

Judy Rebick on workplace must-have — A Troublemaker's Handbook: http://www.rabble.ca/reviews/review.shtml?x=46519

Kathleen O'Grady on the newest Our Bodies, Ourselves: http://www.rabble.ca/reviews/review.shtml?x=46590

From: the murky world of books books books | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Babbling_Jenn
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10944

posted 09 February 2006 03:15 PM      Profile for Babbling_Jenn     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I followed the link on Our Bodies, Ourselves and was disappointed that the website was basically a giant advertisement for the book. I was hoping to find some extra health information or perhaps some easily accessible info from the book, but the site basically makes you go around in circles reading about how good the book is and trying to get you to buy it.

Boo.

From: Rural Ontario | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
lagatta
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2534

posted 09 February 2006 03:20 PM      Profile for lagatta     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Moreover, I could have done without a sensationalist photo of a woman beaten up by her spouse and run over by a car. What next, colour slide-shows on female genital mutliation?

I think there are ways of getting across both the horror and the seriousness of violence against women without pandering to the desire to rubberneck at car crash sites.

Our Bodies, Ourselves was a groundbreaking book, but I feer it might have veered off into a very odd direction. Tabloid feminism?

From: Se non ora, quando? | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Kathleen O'Grady
recent-rabble-rouser
Babbler # 12054

posted 09 February 2006 07:44 PM      Profile for Kathleen O'Grady   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Just a note to say that while there is certainly promo stuff for the book on the OBOS website, there's also alot of free health content too.

But you have to click on the 'Companion website' link on the left hand side of the homepage (it contains all the many things they couldn't fit into the book).

If you want to go directly to it, it can be found here:
http://www.ourbodiesourselves.org/book/default.asp

Just fyi!

All the best,
Kathleen

Rundler
editor
Babbler # 2699

posted 13 February 2006 12:08 PM      Profile for Rundler     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
For discussion of The Boys review (as it relates to fact and fiction in writing), check out the Into the Frey thread.
From: the murky world of books books books | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 13 February 2006 12:13 PM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think I caused that confusion of threads - sorry.

Note to self: finish reading book; continue conversation.

Rundler
editor
Babbler # 2699

posted 13 February 2006 01:18 PM      Profile for Rundler     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
No, not at all. It follows well in the Frey thread. And I probably shouldn't have started this one as a general "all three reviews" thing, but I'm trying lately to back off and not cram three separate threads down the collective babbler's throat, since it makes more sense for the conversations to happen organically. I'm always chomping at the bit to discuss the reviews, since I've spent all week thinking about them, but I don't want the conversations to be all about what happens to be in my brain. So, anyway, I like that you brought up The Boys in the other thread. It was a neat connection.
(Hmmm. I think I must be hungry or something with all these mouthy metaphors.)

Jane at Labor Notes
recent-rabble-rouser
Babbler # 12087

posted 22 February 2006 05:17 PM      Profile for Jane at Labor Notes     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rundler:
Maggie Helwig on John Terpstra's The Boys, or, Waiting for the Electrician's Daughter, a nominee for the 2006 Charles Taylor Prize for Literary Non-Fiction: http://www.rabble.ca/reviews/review.shtml?x=46518

Judy Rebick on workplace must-have — A Troublemaker's Handbook: http://www.rabble.ca/reviews/review.shtml?x=46519

Kathleen O'Grady on the newest Our Bodies, Ourselves: http://www.rabble.ca/reviews/review.shtml?x=46590

From: Detroit, Michigan | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Jane at Labor Notes
recent-rabble-rouser
Babbler # 12087

posted 22 February 2006 05:28 PM      Profile for Jane at Labor Notes     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I want to thank Judy for her generous review of Troublemaker's Handbook 2. She really got what we were trying to do! I agree that the strength of the book is that it's workers' own voices telling how they accomplished this and that victory.
Don't sell us short on the Canadian content, though--there are 9 Canadian stories, including two that tell about Canadian unions' work in communities (in Ontario and Alberta, chapter 12).
When people ask me my favorite story from the book, I always tell them about the Toronto postal workers locking out their boss for the day (chapter 3).
While reading the book is fun and educational, possibly even better is to come to our biennial conference May 5-7, just across the river from Windsor. I know that the CAW local at CAMI in Ingersoll is sending 6 members. There'll be 70 workshops and meetings to choose from (people break down by industry and union at some points), and you'll meet some of the best troublemakers the American labor movement has to offer. Go to www.labornotes.org to find out more.
We need our Canadian sisters' and brothers' shining example to inspire us, so please come.
In solidarity,
Jane Slaughter

From: Detroit, Michigan | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 22 February 2006 05:33 PM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Our Bodies, Ourselves was explosive when it first appeared, and it really did drive major changes for women of my cohort. I think that is one of the enduring achievements of sixties/early seventies feminism, the effect that feminists had on the medical profession, on challenging the profession's traditional paternalism, on educating doctors themselves about women and about enlightened ways of dealing with all their patients. (Not that we've managed to retrain all the old fogeys even yet. )

If Kathleen is still about, a question: Did you find any barriers or limitations to usefulness for Canadian readers in this edition? I've been scanning a lot of the best-known manuals in another health field (dementia), and while many of them are good practical guides to the illnesses themselves and to, eg, caregiving, I find that I am often skipping entire sections and chapters that are aimed at explaining American resources and the U.S. health-care system.

skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 22 February 2006 05:36 PM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Welcome to babble, Jane.

We cross-posted, and I see that I also raised coincidentally a similar issue with books in a different area.

Rundler
editor
Babbler # 2699

posted 23 February 2006 12:36 PM      Profile for Rundler     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yes, welcome Jane and thanks for the posting! Re the Can Con in OBOS, I'll mention to Kathleen you've posted a question however last she wrote she was very close to giving birth so she may not be available for babbling.

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca