babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » rabble content   » babble book lounge   » A Must Read - "Too Close For Comfort"

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: A Must Read - "Too Close For Comfort"
rbil
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 582

posted 24 December 2005 01:50 AM      Profile for rbil     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Just finished reading Maude Barlow's latest book, "Too Close For Comfort". It's a very hard read because it exposes so much of what is being pulled off by the corporations and their political lackies, like the Bush neo-cons and the Paul Martin Liberals. Although I follow the alternative media very closely, Maude has been able to dig deep into so much that goes unreported and open more horrifying exposes for me. If there is ever a book that every progressive person needs to read, it's this book! In fact, it is so well done, any rightwinger with an ounce of morality and concern about our country, its children and the world, may find their myths and fallacies totally blown away after reading this book.

I purchased my copy through this link ...

http://www.rabble.ca/bookstore/detail.shtml?x=44115

Cheers.

From: IRC: irc.bcwireless.net JOIN: #linuxtalk | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
M. Spector
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 8273

posted 24 December 2005 01:53 AM      Profile for M. Spector   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I agree. Excellent book. Must read.

I got it from the library and only had a chance to read a bit of it. I couldn't renew the loan because of the pent-up demand for it.

From: One millihelen: The amount of beauty required to launch one ship. | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Brian White
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 8013

posted 24 December 2005 03:38 PM      Profile for Brian White   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yeah, super book. I can vouch for the international flavour of what she covers too. The Patent (I think) for glyphosate (a plant hormone) is what got Monsanto started on the road to world domination,
In the 1970's.
Other companys could produce the stuff far cheaper but were not allowed. So monsanto had monopoly on a cheap and relatively safe weedkiller and oodles of cash on their hands for 14 years or more.
Roundup kills almost every green thing (except dandelyons) by causing a spurt of crazy growth that tears the plant vessels apart.
Making genetically engineered plants that would tollerate high doses of roundup as they grew (and being able to patent them) helped them sell more roundup AND take over the sead market.
And until the american government allowed people to patent life forms and genes nobody ever did it before. And you dont have to make a gene to patent it, you just have to discover or record the gene.
It was all about getting a trade advantage in the world for the USA. And now terminator genes and now gene drift from monsanto pollen into the wild and onto other peoples farms. Monsanto is not responsible for the wild weeds resistant to roundup from that drift but "owns!" the crops accidently pollinated by its crops! Nor is it responsible for sterile saved seed polinated by terminator pollen!
It is a seriously F''ked up legal situation and Maude goes into it pretty deeply. For years individual agricultural rights have been taken away all across the world and given to that giant company. Monsanto owns most of the seed supply in the world now! All the major food crops are having their genetic bases narrowed by that idiot company as they throw out old varietys.
And Monsanto have NO answer to rusts and blights and molds which can reduce a variety of wheat, barley, maize or rice to nothing in 3 week of ideal weather in any country.
We need genetic diversity in our plants.
And we need to allow farmers to be allowed to save their seeds.
It should be enshrined in law.
Our Civilization is based on farmers saving their seed and we should not forget it.
Brian

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca