babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » rabble content   » babble book lounge   » The pig wants to be eaten. Think about it.

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: The pig wants to be eaten. Think about it.
Rundler
editor
Babbler # 2699

posted 15 December 2005 10:40 AM      Profile for Rundler     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The thought experiments in Julian Baggini's The Pig That Wants to be Eaten use appealing examples to raise serious questions: an environmentalist travels by greenhouse-gas-emitting jumbo jet (must we practise what we preach?); a family's cat is run over (is it acceptable for them to eat it for dinner?). Your answers are eagerly awaited. But first, read the review here: http://www.rabble.ca/reviews
From: the murky world of books books books | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
LemonThriller
babbler
Babbler # 11085

posted 15 December 2005 02:03 PM      Profile for LemonThriller     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Great review!
Normally I hate philosophical mind games -- they make me start pondering the meaning of life and that can get depressing.

But you know what this book would be AMAZING for? University papers! Profs love it when you are able to tie some kind of theory to some kind of quarky philosophical question, and if you're able to relate it to contemporary pop culture? Bam, that'll get you a definite A+ (making sure you cite of course.)

I think I might have to ask for this book as my Christmas present.

From: Halifax, N.S. | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Babbling_Jenn
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10944

posted 15 December 2005 05:38 PM      Profile for Babbling_Jenn     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
This book review reminds me of another book that's out right now...Blink by Malcolm Gladwell.

It's another one of those curiosity meets science, for the general population.

These types of questions are really interesting and I like the way the reviewer put it: "undergraduate stoner" questions. Though I'm not a stoner, I am an undergrad and I've actually thought about both of the examples provided, which is hilarious.

Quirky books like this are so much fun, and you're right, they are good gifts.

From: Rural Ontario | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Rundler
editor
Babbler # 2699

posted 15 December 2005 07:50 PM      Profile for Rundler     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
But should you eat your cat? Yikes.
From: the murky world of books books books | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
ephemeral
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 8881

posted 15 December 2005 07:54 PM      Profile for ephemeral     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rundler:
But should you eat your cat? Yikes.

I won't answer that question. Too many cat-loving babblers around.

From: under a bridge with a laptop | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 15 December 2005 08:53 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
This really does look like a fun book! I wouldn't mind reading it myself. Sounds like it kind of takes you back to first year philosophy (and that's not a put-down - I had a lot of fun in first year philosophy!) and gets you thinking critically, even if the examples given are "undergrad stoner favorites" (hee hee!).

After all, why not? Not everyone has taken undergrad philosophy courses, and I remember how neat it was when I was first exposed to the classic conundrums. I can think of one person I know right now (as well as an upcoming gift-giving occasion beyond Christmas) who would probably really like this book.

Lisa, is it being sold in the rabble book store?

BTW, good review, too. Makes me want to read it!

[ 15 December 2005: Message edited by: Michelle ]

From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rundler
editor
Babbler # 2699

posted 16 December 2005 10:15 AM      Profile for Rundler     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Thanks Michelle! (Or, rather, thanks to Mr. Tarnopolsky.) The book is sold out of the bookstore right now, unfortunately, but it's on order. Sadly, I believe they don't expect it to be available again until the new year. Drag. But thank you so much for asking. It's really helpful to have that kind of support for the bookstore. (I can't help myself, it's at http://www.rabble.ca/bookstore for those who wish to browse or buy now.)

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca