babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » rabble content   » babble book lounge   » Too close for comfort, apocalypse,THEN the rapture

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Too close for comfort, apocalypse,THEN the rapture
Brian White
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 8013

posted 04 December 2005 03:40 PM      Profile for Brian White   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Maude Barlow's book, too close for comfort, is a great read. It goes into detail about how desperate the usa is for canadian water and oil and how they aim to get it with deep intigration.
It details the danger to the world posed by genetically engineered plants and their patented ownership. Your animal invades my farm, I can shoot it for trespassing. Monsanto's plant invades my farm, they demand (and get) money from me because it invaded! CRAZY!
But I digress, The scariest most immediate thing in the book is that aparently many people believe the end of the world is close. Karl Rove and others high in THAT leadership are among them.
I havnt read the bible in many years (I just read the God of love bit) but the trouble is caused by revelations as far as I know.
Believers presume that they are chosen for this fantastic high, (the rapture) but they have to blow up the world first, AND they are close enough to the button to do it.
So, we need a scientific analysis of the writings of revelations and the letters of saul.
As far as I am concerned, the guy writing it was mentally ill, or possessed. Could this be determined after the fact by comparing the writings to those of people in mental institutions? (Perhaps the study has been done already and just needs publicity?)
Perhaps it may help put a few firebrand preachers away too! We need to be able to better see the Paterns of Psychosis in people with Charisma.
Revelations might have been useful to keep people fighting their heathen neighbours early on in the christian era but now, George is the keeper of the bomb, he thinks God talks to him directly, apocalypse is there for him if he wants and who knows, perhaps he is looking for that alltime high? He attacks the basis of science, why not attack the basis of his crusade?

Nanuq
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 8229

posted 04 December 2005 05:58 PM      Profile for Nanuq   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Personally, I don't have a problem with the idea of the rapture since only the thunder-and-brimstone Jerry Falwell types are going to get caught up anyway. Things ought to be downright heavenly here once they're gone.
Toedancer
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10934

posted 04 December 2005 06:02 PM      Profile for Toedancer     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nanuq:
Personally, I don't have a problem with the idea of the rapture since only the thunder-and-brimstone Jerry Falwell types are going to get caught up anyway. Things ought to be downright heavenly here once they're gone.

No Yards
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4169

posted 04 December 2005 06:06 PM      Profile for No Yards   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Well, isn't this rapture thing supposed to be followed by 1000 years of peace after God take away all the freaking chosen wingnuts?
From: Defending traditional marriage since June 28, 2005 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Brian White
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 8013

posted 04 December 2005 11:02 PM      Profile for Brian White   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Problem is that we that are left behind are all murdered. (I am not concerned about the safety of the raptured people). I am much more worried about sinners (like me). The fear for me is that some rapture wanting people might hasten apocalypse to get their fix of rapture. They are pretty close to the nuclear buttons.
Those guys might unleash all sorts of weapons of mass distruction on us. Chicken flu for example.
They dont have to worry about the consequences. The Rapture is the puritan version of pretty young virgins up in heaven. Apocalypse, smugly watching all us poor sinners being cut to pieces and dieing horrible deaths, as you glide up to heaven, is just the icing on the cake and rapture means you dont even have to die in the havoc that you cause!
Another problem, global warming. It fits in nicely.
So, its a bit slower but we might end up cooking to our deaths. Why stop it if it is part of Apocalypse? No reason whatsoever to intervene if you are one of the lucky ones. In fact, you might be encouraged to speed it up!
Bush thinks he talks to GOD.
You can believe what you like as far as I am concerned but if your beliefs involve watching other people die with a big smile on your face,
someone is in big trouble.

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca