FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » rabble content   » babble book lounge   » Science books

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Science books
Contrarian
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6477

posted 30 November 2005 09:34 PM      Profile for Contrarian     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Realclimate recommends a bunch of books on global climate change. It's worth a read, including the comments which recommend more books. While the article recommends Jared Diamond's new book, several comments provide criticisms. They also mention Kim Stanley Robinson for sciene fiction. Here's just a couple of the books mentioned:
quote:
...The Discovery of Global Warming (2003) by Spencer Weart presents the accomplishments of climate science as they evolved historically. And he does it wonderfully. Weart is a science historian with a string of books on physics, nuclear issues, and straight-up history to his credit. He is not a climate scientist but he writes about the issues of the day (a hundred years of days, from Arrhenius to IPCC) as though he was there. His scientific insight and ability to summarize is very impressive. This could be a good first book to read on global warming...

..In the political and social arenas, the place to go is Boiling Point (2004) by Ross Gelbspan. Gelbspan is a journalist who treats the scientific scope, and the political response, to the threat of climate change with passion and authority...

From: pretty far west | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Serendipity
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10327

posted 30 November 2005 11:42 PM      Profile for Serendipity     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
James Kunstler's The Long Emergency
Syerah
recent-rabble-rouser
Babbler # 11108

posted 01 December 2005 10:49 AM      Profile for Syerah   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Big Bang by Simon Singh, rocks!!
blake 3:17
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10360

posted 01 December 2005 07:13 PM      Profile for blake 3:17     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I LOVE Simon Singh! The Code Book and Fermat's Enigma rock!
jeff house
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 518

posted 01 December 2005 07:15 PM      Profile for jeff house     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I read the Big Bang. I thought it was extremely good, reading everyone should make time for.
Syerah
recent-rabble-rouser
Babbler # 11108

posted 02 December 2005 12:40 PM      Profile for Syerah   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by blake 3:17:
I LOVE Simon Singh! The Code Book and Fermat's Enigma rock!

Fermat's Enigma is out of print I've been trying to get my hands on a copy for some time now...

Contrarian
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6477

posted 02 January 2006 01:18 PM      Profile for Contrarian     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Sineed found this review of a couple of books on global warming. It's a very good, thoughtful article.
quote:
The Coming Meltdown
By Bill McKibben

Thin Ice: Unlocking the Secrets of Climate in the World's Highest Mountains
by Mark Bowen
Henry Holt, 463 pp., $30.00

Dancing at the Dead Sea: Tracking the World's Environmental Hotspots
by Alanna Mitchell
University of Chicago Press, 239 pp., $25.00

[ 02 January 2006: Message edited by: Contrarian ]

From: pretty far west | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca