babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » rabble content   » babble book lounge   » Anybody reading "Keep Sweet"?

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Anybody reading "Keep Sweet"?
kablewy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 11020

posted 16 November 2005 09:23 PM      Profile for kablewy        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It's about children of polygamy in a community near Creston, British Columbia and it's giving me nightmares.
skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 17 November 2005 10:40 AM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I haven't seen the book, kablewy, but over the last six or seven years, I've been following the story, mainly through magazine articles.

It presents civil libertarians with a real conundrum, doesn't it.

I take it that "keep sweet" is the instruction given to young women that is supposed to guide their behaviour with men?

kablewy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 11020

posted 17 November 2005 11:20 AM      Profile for kablewy        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yes, that's the reference all right. I actually have no problem with polygamy but I have big problems with cults/religions and underage marriage. I also think sequestering your children in remote communities is just asking for sexual abuse and, in fact, in this community abuse was epidemic.
kablewy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 11020

posted 18 November 2005 10:18 PM      Profile for kablewy        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Turns out "keep sweet" in this community is all purpose religious advice for getting into heaven.

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca