FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » rabble content   » babble book lounge   » Another Story Bookstore

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Another Story Bookstore
The Hegemo
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5176

posted 23 October 2005 10:30 AM      Profile for The Hegemo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I just returned from my sojourn in Canada, and when I was in Toronto on Thursday, I made my usual stop at Another Story Bookstore on the Danforth. Only it wasn't there anymore!

Please tell me it moved and didn't shut down altogether, because it is one of my favorite bookstores.

From: The Persistent Vegetative States of America | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
urbandrifter
recent-rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10761

posted 24 October 2005 04:00 PM      Profile for urbandrifter     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Not to worry! Another Story is alive and well and has moved to Parkdale:

315 Roncesvalles Avenue
Toronto, Ontario
M6R 2M6

From: toronto, ontario | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Albireo
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3052

posted 24 October 2005 04:07 PM      Profile for Albireo     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It seems odd that they moved right across town. Few clients are loyal enough to trek that far just for a visit to the bookstore, so it'll mean building a whole new clientele in the new neighborhood.
gopi
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6163

posted 24 October 2005 04:57 PM      Profile for gopi     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It isn't the only bookstore in Toronto that has either moved or shut down. When I first visited the city in the 1970s there were more than a dozen bookstores on Queen West alone - bus tours from the US used to visit to do a weekend "book crawl." Now only two or three of these stores are left.

I suspect that internet book shopping has had an enormous impact on the stores.

jrootham
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 838

posted 24 October 2005 05:17 PM      Profile for jrootham     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
That's not what killed Queen St. It was dead long before that. Rent increases are the basic culprit there.
gopi
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6163

posted 24 October 2005 05:35 PM      Profile for gopi     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
And not just bookstores - I hear that most businesses on Queen West - from restaurants to clothing stores - are suffering ludicrous rent increases.

Bookstore owners who occupy less expensive real estate in the city (such as Annex Books on Bathurst) tell me that online business accounts for more than half of their sales.

obscurantist
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 8238

posted 24 October 2005 05:42 PM      Profile for obscurantist     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I started a thread on a similar topic about downtown Vancouver a few months back, which included a story about a Vancouver bookstore that had planned to move but instead had to shut down suddenly after a sudden increase in its lease rate.

Downtown Vancouver: nice place to live, but not to work?

From: an unweeded garden | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
jrootham
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 838

posted 24 October 2005 06:24 PM      Profile for jrootham     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
And not just bookstores - I hear that most businesses on Queen West - from restaurants to clothing stores - are suffering ludicrous rent increases.

The restaurants and clothing stores are the businesses that could afford the rents the bookstores could not pay. The modus operandi of the landlords along Queen are to jack the rents until the business closes down. The way leases work it takes a few years for this to happen.

Mick
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2753

posted 24 October 2005 11:41 PM      Profile for Mick        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by urbandrifter:
Not to worry! Another Story is alive and well and has moved to Parkdale:

315 Roncesvalles Avenue
Toronto, Ontario
M6R 2M6

1. Roncesvalles is not really Parkdale, it's Roncy which is a neighborhood all it's own. Completely different feel to it than Parkdale. I should know I used to live there.

2. The new location is awfully close to She Said Boom! Does Roncy really need another Indy bookstore so close?

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca