FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » rabble content   » babble book lounge   » Online Literature Index

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Online Literature Index
Vansterdam Kid
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5474

posted 09 October 2005 10:21 PM      Profile for Vansterdam Kid   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I've found a really neat website. They have a large selection of classic online literature. This is this link: Online-Literature.

I was thinking that this thread might be a good place to post links to similar websites. I'm taking the opportunity to read 1984 on this site, since I've never had an opportunity to read it before, even though I understand the moral of the story.

Rand McNally
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5297

posted 09 October 2005 10:28 PM      Profile for Rand McNally     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Some general links

http://digital.library.upenn.edu/books/

http://directory.google.ca/Top/Arts/Literature/Electronic_Text_Archives/

Lovecraft's collected works

http://www.dagonbytes.com/thelibrary/lovecraft/

[ 09 October 2005: Message edited by: Rand McNally ]

paxamillion
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2836

posted 09 October 2005 10:35 PM      Profile for paxamillion   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Adjusted for sidescroll.
From: the process of recovery | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
chubbybear
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10025

posted 09 October 2005 10:57 PM      Profile for chubbybear        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Over 16000 books on line.
quote:
Project Gutenberg is the first and largest single collection of free electronic books, or eBooks. Michael Hart, founder of Project Gutenberg, invented eBooks in 1971 and continues to inspire the creation of eBooks and related technologies today.
Project Gutenberg

Contrarian
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6477

posted 09 October 2005 11:20 PM      Profile for Contrarian     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
This thread, Digital Libraries in the culture section, has many links.
From: pretty far west | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Papal Bull
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7050

posted 10 October 2005 12:34 AM      Profile for Papal Bull   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
http://www.jstor.org/

You can access it on UoT computers, or at home. I've not tried back at the homestead lately.

It's great to read old issues of Speculum

edit:: It doesn't work, but seriously, if you can get a computer at UoT or something. Browse it. I <3 it.

[ 10 October 2005: Message edited by: Papal Bull ]

From: Vatican's best darned ranch | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Yst
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 9749

posted 10 October 2005 07:13 AM      Profile for Yst     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I've been reading ebooks voraciously for years, ever since I got my first PalmPilot Pro eight years ago and started reading books on-screen as much as on the page. Online literature certainly wasn't as easy to come by then (this is before the first major P2P networks came into existence - for the most part, people would trade files by setting up FTPs and exchanging logins or by hanging out on IRC), but finding ebooks is certainly extremely convenient these days.

I've always got a book or two active on the Pocket PC in my pants pocket and seldom read paper texts save where compelled (textbooks, paper manuals, old reference texts), or when digitisation cannot be ideally accomplished (heavily illustrated, non-narrative or non-roman texts).

In the last six months, I've read around 20 narrative texts, and have read none of them - not a single one - in its print copy, even in the cases of those of them for which I already own the print copy.

I find the most convenient source for texts these days is P2P networks. Particularly, Emule (a superior, open source client for the Edonkey network) will find you almost any text you could conceivably want in any language in a selection of formats. No matter how obscure, it's a virtual certainty some fan somewhere has transcribed it or OCRed it.

And often, the texts on P2P networks will be more cleanly and conveniently formatted than texts found available as pages or PDFs on web-based online collections. P2P traded texts usually contain a minimum (typically, a total absence) of proprietary junk and are provided in a maximally compatible and platform-agnostic format (e.g., RTF, TXT, basic HTML, etc.). Formatting tends in general to be better than that available in the texts found on Project Gutenberg, however, for which formatting is often either virtually non-existent or deeply problematic to the reading of the text as it was meant to be read.

From: State of Genderfuck | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Boom Boom
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7791

posted 10 October 2005 08:13 AM      Profile for Boom Boom     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
This morning I've been reading the UofT Alumni magazine, and there's a good article about a new online service called "Google Scholar". I gather it's accessible through the UTL website. The article says GS allows users to search collections of proprietary electronic journals and a variety of online repositories of scholarly papers. I'm impressed. I did my Bachelor's and Master's before significant information was widely available on computer. I think I'd be overwhelmed by the available choices if I were to go back to university today.
From: Make the rich pay! | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Stargazer
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6061

posted 10 October 2005 08:42 AM      Profile for Stargazer     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I was searching on the net for some good on line book links and as a coincidence I was also reading about HP Lovecraft in the latest issue of Rue Morgue so I thank Rand McNally for posting the link to HP! Thanks!

I found this repository for banned books on line. These are books that have been banned throughout different eras in history. For example - Doctor Doolittle. The original 1920's story was modified and 'cleaned up' in the 1960's story. This site also has some invaluable links to the dreadful history of Slavery (written from the Slave's perspective) and Women's Suffrage Movement.

Banned Books On line

It's not as racy as the link suggests although there are some things that are non-PC. But for the rest of the information and books you can read, this IMO can be overlooked.

YST, do you know if EMule puts a lot of spyware on your system to use it to download books?

From: Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist. | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Yst
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 9749

posted 10 October 2005 09:01 AM      Profile for Yst     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stargazer:

YST, do you know if EMule puts a lot of spyware on your system to use it to download books?

No, Emule is free open source software, not a commercial product and therefore contains no known malicious code.

From: State of Genderfuck | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Stargazer
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6061

posted 10 October 2005 09:11 AM      Profile for Stargazer     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Thanks YST. I appreciate the response. I've had my computer wiped out twice due to my 22 year old son downloading P2P apps. He has since been banned!
From: Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist. | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca