babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » rabble content   » babble book lounge   » Would you recommend...?

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Would you recommend...?
Jesse Dignity
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7131

posted 14 April 2005 01:56 AM      Profile for Jesse Dignity   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Tonight as I was walking home from a concert in downtown Halifax, I caught sight of a copy of Ten Thousand Roses in the window of Venus Envy. Seeing it there struck me as an almost jarring reminder that it actually exists as a book that one might read, and that it's not just a feature of this website!

Yeah I know, it's a brilliant insight.

Here's the thing though - I think I'm a feminist, I care about issues that I think are feminist issues, but I don't really have any but the sketchiest, most rudimentary education as to the history of feminist movements. It's not something we got a lot of in school, and I haven't got any university. I would estimate that I've perhaps tripled my awareness of that history since becoming friends with Audra late last autumn, but it's not like we even talk about history very often so triple practically nothing is still probably all that much.

So with all of that said - would Ten Thousand Roses be a good book for me to read right now? Would it make a useful primer, or does it rely upon a reader having some background in the subject? Would I be lost in a sea of difficult references?

I know I could just pick it up and see for myself whether it's on my level, but I thought maybe if I asked here, I could get recommendations for any other books that might be useful to read first, if there are any.

If not, I'll totally just read Ten Thousand Roses and see how I make out!

thanks,
jesse

From: punch a misogynist today | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
kingblake
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3453

posted 14 April 2005 02:05 AM      Profile for kingblake     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think it'd make an awsome intro to the history of the feminist movement in Canada post-1960. I don't think you really need all that much prior knowledge at all. Of course, if you do, you'll probably get a bit more out of it, and you might recognize more names and such, but that's always true.

Plus, if there's any unfamiliar territory, you know where to ask questions!

I'd say for sure go for it.

From: In Regina, the land of Exotica | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Jesse Dignity
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7131

posted 14 April 2005 02:42 PM      Profile for Jesse Dignity   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
thanks!
From: punch a misogynist today | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
April
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7882

posted 04 May 2005 11:43 AM      Profile for April     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Jesse, it is a truly great book, and will DEFINITELY give you a primer and Introduction to the issues and how they have been fought in the last 50 years or so. At the same time, the book is not heavy on the specifics of feminist theories, so that is where you might want to look next.

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca