FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » rabble content   » babble book lounge   » 04/07/2005: "The Pope"

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: 04/07/2005: "The Pope"
audra trower williams
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2

posted 09 April 2005 03:15 PM      Profile for audra trower williams   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
I am sure you are as tired as I am of the wall to wall Pope coverage. Sure there are alot of Catholics in this country but the general media adoration of the Pope is getting to be a bit much. He was charismatic but also a total autocrat. Talk aobut patriarchy. Gregory Baum , who is a man I admire greatly, had an op ed piece in the Globe and Mail praising the Pope for his anti-war stance but also for his "progressive" positions on economic and social issues. Even the radical U.S. web site Znet has an article on the Pope's anti-neo-liberal economic policies It's true that he opposed both the war in Afghanistan and Iraq but on economic issues and that he has challenged neo-liberal orthodoxy. But how can you be progressive on economic issues when your policies on women create such hardship?
This reminds me of the criticism of the National Action Committee on the Status of Women for opposing Charlottetown when it contained native self-government. Left-wing critics, mostly male, never accepted that the lack of charter protection for aboriginal women was a legitimate reason to oppose Charlottetown. Excuse me folks, when you oppose the rights of half of humanity, you are not progressive.

You said, it Judes!

From: And I'm a look you in the eye for every bar of the chorus | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Boom Boom
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7791

posted 09 April 2005 03:35 PM      Profile for Boom Boom     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yet more Popery. Arrrggghhh!
From: Make the rich pay! | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
bodhitrees
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 8000

posted 11 April 2005 11:08 AM      Profile for bodhitrees        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Why can't the people who aid and abet criminals get charged ? Did not crimes of abuseoccur against some of the most vulnerable in Canada? I don't expect money helps but incarceration of the perps and their protectors would be nice IMHO.
The catholic church could be charged and extradition from Italy probably could assist catching these criminals ,consider the abuse of boys and girls crimes against humanity ,as i do.
I am thoroughly disgusted with the bleating of forgiveness ,is what god wants me to do.
God didn't help the victims this crime wave of abetting the perps sickens me to the point where i want the Canadian govt. to act and ban the Catholic chuch from operating in Canada .
Why laud the Pope by the way,his organization has the funds to solve hunger /famine in many places the world over but fails to do so. The church i'm lead to believe plays heavy on the stock markets especially NYSE.
Perhaps Canada could confiscate property ,which the church has nnot paid taxes on,including stocks and bonds,and liquidate these finance instruments to form a fund to pay survivors families of the suicide after effects of molestations.

Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 11 April 2005 11:17 AM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Right on, Judes!
From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jesse Dignity
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7131

posted 11 April 2005 11:58 AM      Profile for Jesse Dignity   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I can scarcely contain my exasperation every day I see ANOTHER headline, ANOTHER cover photograph, ANOTHER promise of more inside!

Like... NEWSFLASH: POPE STILL DEAD! STAY TUNED FOR UPDATES!

From: punch a misogynist today | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
audra trower williams
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2

posted 11 April 2005 02:01 PM      Profile for audra trower williams   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Regan, too!
From: And I'm a look you in the eye for every bar of the chorus | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Cougyr
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3336

posted 11 April 2005 02:08 PM      Profile for Cougyr     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Even the Pope's "anti war" stance didn't impress me. Praying for peace doesn't do it. Now, if he had stood up and loudly told all Catholics to lay down their arms and not fight in Bush's wars . . .
From: over the mountain | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Jesse Dignity
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7131

posted 11 April 2005 06:59 PM      Profile for Jesse Dignity   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by audra trower williams:
Regan, too!

Yeah but at least Reagan attracted more criticism right away.

From: punch a misogynist today | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Raos
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5702

posted 11 April 2005 07:52 PM      Profile for Raos     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
But really, I expected all of the coverage from most sources, but I was pretty disappointed that the same was given from newsworld. Before, I could always count on newsworld having something interesting when nobody else did, but for days every time I watched them, there was some special about the pope.
From: Sweet home Alaberta | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca