FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » rabble content   » babble book lounge   » 04/01/2005: "Optimism"

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: 04/01/2005: "Optimism"
audra trower williams
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2

posted 09 April 2005 03:11 PM      Profile for audra trower williams   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
On this day when death dominates the headlines what with Terry Schiavo and the Pope, I thought I talk about optimism. One of the features of Ten Thousand Roses is the optimism of the women about the possibiity for change. I have always seen optimism as a marker of youth but today well placed cynicism seems to have replaced optimism among young people. No wonder with the hypocricy of our society. Just look at the horror show around Schiavo. The same religious right that has no problem executing young black men for their crimes or sending hundreds of young working class men to their death in Iraq or sacrificing thousands of civilian lives in Afghanistan and Iraq are blown to smithereens but one woman in a vegetative state for fifteen years--her life is of such concern that Congress holds a special session. Good god how can you not be cynical.

Full entry here.

From: And I'm a look you in the eye for every bar of the chorus | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jesse Dignity
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7131

posted 11 April 2005 12:04 PM      Profile for Jesse Dignity   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yeah it's certainly not a new form of duality for the right-to-lifers to be barking up one tree and pissing on the next, but late events sure have provided a pointedly absurd illustration.
From: punch a misogynist today | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca