FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » rabble content   » babble book lounge   » The Conflict

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: The Conflict
audra trower williams
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2

posted 30 March 2005 06:52 PM      Profile for audra trower williams   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
My favourite part of the book was the way the different women didn't agree with each other. I know that might sound daft, but it's easy -- as a young feminist -- to think it was all sisterhood and light. And so to hear about the in-fighting that happened in the movement was fantastic for me.

Do you think it is useful to bring this stuff to light? Or is it better to provide a unified front?

From: And I'm a look you in the eye for every bar of the chorus | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
steffie
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3826

posted 30 March 2005 07:39 PM      Profile for steffie     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Well, the things that women share are important to put forth, like sexual oppression and the way the media attempts to brainwash (is brainwashing) young women to look/behave/occupy their world in a certain way, pay equity, freedom of choice, etc.

Differences allow the women's movement to stay vital, vibrant, and ever evolving. I think what I learned from the book was that differences needn't rend, but can certainly help add depth to a movement that affects fully half the human race.

When expressing differences it's valuable to explain why women disagree, not just where, where these beliefs originate, and how women can work to accomodate one another (perhaps by making some concessions.) Or to work alongside together while not in complete agreement.

The differences that stood out for me were the "no men allowed" vs. the "work alongside men" and whether or not they should be smoking dope on their caravan to Ottawa (chapter three.) But on a larger scale,

quote:
Our differences were not only over the "Smash Capitalism" slogan and dope smoking. We were debating whether we were for the right to abortion only, or whether we were fighting to smash a system. p.42

Has that changed? Is the "system" still the enemy, now that women may take part?

From: What are the roots that clutch, what branches grow / Out of this stony rubbish? | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca