babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » rabble content   » babble book lounge   » Judy Rebick, Ten Thousand Roses

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Judy Rebick, Ten Thousand Roses
skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 18 February 2005 08:13 AM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I got my copy yesterday!

Of course, the first thing I did was to look up everyone I could think of in the index, so I have to confess that I was reading out of order for a while, skipping back and forth, refreshing my memory of people and events I had at least known about.

I was pleased as punch to be reading a few old friends I'd lost touch with over the years. It is so wonderful to hear those voices again, and to know that people are doing well. Lots of the old grils are going to love this book for that reason.

But I've settled down now and I'm reading through faithfully from the beginning. So much comes back, but there is lots that is news to me, and hearing this history through the voices, often, of the women who organized it is just priceless. These interviews are important historical sources.

Links to the book site and to the Women's Bookstore have been posted before, but I'll repeat them here:

Ten Thousand Roses

Women's Bookstore

I note from the latter site that there will be a book launch and discussion of the book on 8 March at Ryerson University in Toronto (details on the bookstore site). I'm sure there will be events in other towns and cities as well.

Congratulations, and thanks, Judy.

[ 18 February 2005: Message edited by: skdadl ]

belva
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 8098

posted 18 February 2005 10:31 AM      Profile for belva     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I just ordered a copy!

THANKS for the notice!

skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 18 February 2005 10:52 AM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
belva, while the focus is definitely Canadian, the more general continental and international context is there too. I'm sure that any woman who remembers or is interested in the first stirrings of women's liberation here or in the U.S. or in Europe in the 1950s-1960s will both recognize and learn so much from the early chapters.

And then there are the stories of the internal political struggles, the nitty-gritty of getting any practical work done -- again, so familiar to feminists everywhere from those last thirty years of the C20, and often so personally moving.

Last thing last night I was reading through the section on the Montreal Massacre of 1989 -- fourteen young engineering students mowed down by a young man who believed that feminism had blighted his life. That is a particularly haunting story here, but it is also one that I think should resonate with feminists and other activists elsewhere.

Judy R. does a wonderful job of setting that horror in the context of an international turn to the right, a backlash against feminism but also against social-justice movements of all kinds. Some of the interviews with Quebec feminists are riveting, heart-stopping. You can see individuals changing even as they struggle to articulate the effect of that massacre on them, and even more the amazingly insensitive first reactions to it from the mainstream press and many, many citizens.

That section especially is spinning on in my mind.

Sharon
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4090

posted 18 February 2005 11:43 AM      Profile for Sharon     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Is it in the bookstores yet?
From: Halifax, Nova Scotia | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 18 February 2005 11:47 AM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Oh. The Women's Bookstore must have it, because they sent it to me. (Remember -- we all pre-ordered? Somewhere?)

Am I being bad in publishing a review ahead of release date? And me an editor, too.

lagatta
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2534

posted 18 February 2005 11:48 AM      Profile for lagatta     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yes, after the Polytechnique massacre, I'll never forget the nasty comments by editorialists such as the "cool" Richard Martineau of Voir, a supposedly alternative weekly, speaking out against those nasty feminists who would take advantage of the madman to strike a blow against men.

As babblers may recall, I was on campus at U de M when the massacre occurred, writing a final exam...

At the same time, it did make me feel somewhat better about the younger people I was studying with at Université de Montréal - I had returned to university - after never finishing because I always wound up working full-time on activist causes - and was disgusted by the apathy and dismissal of feminist and social conquests of decades past among the student body. I do think the reaction among the public helped rebuild the women's movement - which played such an important role in relaunching social movements here in Québec.

I haven't bought the book yet - a friend will be lending me her copy - and have so many other books to read given to me by other authors I know that I won't get round to reading it for at least a month or so!

Does anyone know if a French translation is planned? I could review Judy's book for À babords here, but it would get much more of an echo if it is available in French.

[ 18 February 2005: Message edited by: lagatta ]

From: Se non ora, quando? | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 18 February 2005 11:56 AM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
lagatta, do you remember what happened on babble last 6 December?

We started a discussion thread that was simply overwhelmed by angry backlashers. It got so impossible that I started a wordless memorial thread somewhere else.

lagatta
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2534

posted 18 February 2005 12:00 PM      Profile for lagatta     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
EVERY 6th of December anniversary brings the misogynists out of the woodwork. The most recent local example of that mindset, though, is the campaign in support of hate radio in Québec City, "C'est mon choix".

I know Judy likes to keep at arm's length from babble - moreover she does have a life - but I hope she'll be dropping in on this forum.

Judes
publisher
Babbler # 21

posted 18 February 2005 02:35 PM      Profile for Judes   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Here I am. I will certainly participate in this forum and I am doing a blog on the Penguin site which should be up my March 1. The book should be in most bookstores by the end of this week. The best thing is to ask for it in your local bookstore so if they don't have it, they'll order it.

I will drop in on this forum on a regular basis. I am going to send people from my blog over to babble if they want to discuss the book. On my blog I am hoping women will post their stories.

April
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7882

posted 18 February 2005 02:45 PM      Profile for April     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hi Judy! I am relatively new here, and your book sounds like a great one! I am going to try and get a copy.
belva
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 8098

posted 18 February 2005 02:56 PM      Profile for belva     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
My regular bookseller here in Penn's Woods said she'd have my copy in about 10 working days.
Stargazer
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6061

posted 18 February 2005 03:05 PM      Profile for Stargazer     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Oh my gosh Judy! You have no idea how much you have influenced me and changed my life in so many ways - by your words and your actions!

It is so nice to finally say a huge Thank-you!

You are and always will be one of my greatest inspirations and heros.

From: Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist. | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
janew
webmistress
Babbler # 199

posted 18 February 2005 03:14 PM      Profile for janew     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Here's a picture of the book cover...

Congratulations, Judy! Can't wait to read it :-)

From: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
belva
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 8098

posted 18 February 2005 03:17 PM      Profile for belva     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lagatta:
[QB]EVERY 6th of December anniversary brings the misogynists out of the woodwork.

Tis sadly true many places it seems. I struggle repeatedly not to be "anti-male"; however, at times I feel as 'tho my anger may overwhelm me. Apparently, so few men "get it." At lunchtime today, I had the pleasure of bumping into a male colleague & chatting with him for a few minutes. As I walked back to my office, I realized, as I have before about this individual, that I like him & value his friendship because he is so unlike most men that I know. I told him one time some years ago that he had a woman's heart & he thanked me for the compliment.

I absolutely reject biological determinism--I do not believe that hormones or chromosones constitute one's destiny. Which leaves me thinking that our society's failure must rest in the ways in which males, the majority of males, it seems, are socialized. What else can explain that when women lie dead in such brutal fashion, the explanation/justification from some is "it must be their fault"???

Yet I find myself always balancing my anger & frustration with hope & love that we shall yet make humankind better. Oh, foolish heart, to hold such hope within!

lagatta
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2534

posted 18 February 2005 03:38 PM      Profile for lagatta     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
No, I certainly don't think the misogynist creeps that crawl out from the primeval swamp every 6 December and upon similar occasions are typical of men.

Pervasive sexism is different - it is part of the culture and history, and is internalised by women as well, just as ethnocentrism is (although "biological" racism is less acceptable than a few generations past). And, I would add, as is acceptance of the existing social order by the working and popular classes held in thrall by it. It is a form of alienation - like the others, shored up by the hegemony of the outlook of the powerful but also by very real, but secondary, privileges. Higher wages, the right to look down on women or people of colour, the perks of living in a G8 nation...

But as we said in another forum, (about Walmart?) we must UNTIE!

Judes
publisher
Babbler # 21

posted 18 February 2005 03:49 PM      Profile for Judes   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Here is the details of my book tour for those who are interested:
For Immediate Release

March 8th - Toronto: (International Women's Day)

Ryerson University, 2nd Floor, Jorgenson Hall, Room JOR-250 at 7 pm.

Vancouver: Monday, March 14th:

Vancouver Public Library at 7 pm. For more information, please call (604) 732-4128.

Tuesday, March 15th: Victoria

Bolen Books at 7 pm

March 17th Winnipeg:

McNally Robinson, Grant Park on March 17th.

[ 18 February 2005: Message edited by: Judes ]

Cartman
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7440

posted 18 February 2005 05:25 PM      Profile for Cartman        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
EVERY 6th of December anniversary brings the misogynists out of the woodwork.

I am shocked by the behaviour you describe. I did not know that these sorts of things happened regularly. That is really, really twisted.

From: Bring back Audra!!!!! | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Jumble
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7453

posted 18 February 2005 10:23 PM      Profile for Jumble     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'll look for it. It sounds like a really interesting look at feminism in both English and French Canada.

The cover is really beautiful. Who created it?

From: Gatineau (Québec) | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Tommy_Paine
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 214

posted 19 February 2005 10:57 AM      Profile for Tommy_Paine     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I am shocked by the behaviour you describe. I did not know that these sorts of things happened regularly. That is really, really twisted.[/QB][/QUOTE]

There's a memorial inspired by the Montreal Massacre in London's Victoria Park. It's a plain black marble slab, with the ghostly images of women lightly etched into its surface.

I don't find myself in the park often, but every time I'm there I check it out.

It's always covered in spit.

From: The Alley, Behind Montgomery's Tavern | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
kingblake
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3453

posted 19 February 2005 04:43 PM      Profile for kingblake     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Judes: I can't wait to buy a copy of the book at the book launch in Toronto. What better way to celebrate the women's movement than through an oral history? Bravo!
From: In Regina, the land of Exotica | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
neeuqdrazil
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4643

posted 19 February 2005 11:27 PM      Profile for neeuqdrazil   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I saw a whole stack of Ten Thousand Roses at Pages (on Queen W. in downtown Toronto) this afternoon - they've got it on the 'new non-fiction' table, quite prominently.

Go Judy!

[ 19 February 2005: Message edited by: neeuqdrazil ]

Jumble
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7453

posted 20 February 2005 11:09 AM      Profile for Jumble     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I may seem uninformed, but why is the book entitled "Ten Thousand Roses"? What is the significance of the chosen title?
Judes
publisher
Babbler # 21

posted 20 February 2005 11:54 AM      Profile for Judes   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Ten Thousand Roses comes from a story in the book. A rose grower in Drummondville was so inspired by the march on poverty when women marched from Montreal to Quebec City to make demands to eliminate poverty that he brought 10,000 roses to Quebec City for the rally.

Metaphorically it represents the thousands of women who worked for change in the women's movement.

Sharon
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4090

posted 20 February 2005 12:42 PM      Profile for Sharon     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I got my book yesterday -- Dan picked it up at Frog Hollow Bookstore in downtown Halifax. I'm so looking forward to reading it -- if I ever find the time!
From: Halifax, Nova Scotia | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jumble
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7453

posted 20 February 2005 03:02 PM      Profile for Jumble     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Thanks Judy. I remember that march. Wasn't it also called "Du pain et des roses"? I had never heard the story about the rose grower from Drummondville though. Somehow I missed that in the news.

It's a great title for your book.

lagatta
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2534

posted 20 February 2005 03:34 PM      Profile for lagatta     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yes, it was La marche du pain et des roses - as in the old song "Bread and Roses". I took part in the first and the last day of the march. It was an important renewal in the women's movement here in Québec - and had an impact internationally with the next march, in 2000. I'm unfamiliar with plans for the march this year in the "RoC" - (the coalition is well in place in Québec and I'm familiar with the coalitions not only in Europe but in African countries and other places in the Global South where autonomous women's movements are a very new development. http://www.marchemondiale.org/

Will Judy be doing a book launch here in Québec, in conjunction with the march? (La Maison Parent-Roback would be the most likely venue).

[ 20 February 2005: Message edited by: lagatta ]

Negad
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7863

posted 20 February 2005 07:03 PM      Profile for Negad   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
At the time of Dec 6th massacre I was an engineering student.
I remember that many students from other programs were offering their condolences to us even some women.
I was very shaken up and angry about the lost of lives, however it was making me sad when a group of people who obviously themselves were shaken up were offering their condolences to engineering students.

Right or wrong at the time a few of my class mates and I discussed amongst ourselves that we felt that they (students from other programs) weren’t sharing our sorrow and it may have been seen as our tragedy alone. I felt guilty for those thoughts at the time and I feel guilty now. It wasn’t about us it was about those who lost their lives, yet we were talking about feeling alone in this.

It was final exam time and this tragedy put us all in a daze. In soem ways those days are very vivid and some ways those days are blurry.

How sad that someone can feel so much hateret to spit on a memorial piece. How threatend one must be?

lagatta
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2534

posted 20 February 2005 07:33 PM      Profile for lagatta     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I have deleted all comments to Negad - there is no point in my discussing with someone I hate.

[ 21 February 2005: Message edited by: lagatta ]

Negad
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7863

posted 20 February 2005 08:07 PM      Profile for Negad   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
I was going to say "about as much as to express vitriol towards unions" but then thought that was snarky, as here you seem to be a human being with feelings and not a union-baiting troll.

This is so interesting here you are speaking about feminist movement and then you are calling a person who is trying to put struggles of another group of people on the agenda of unions a “union troll”.

What happened, do you feel threatened that a person of colour is entering a feminist thread an space that many of you consider as being yours?

So you claim you are or were a feminist then if men considered you as un-human that must have been acceptable form you.

So what if you were involved in a union organizing? So were many people of colour. You expect people of colour to not assert their rights and forget about their rights because criticism makes your fund memories to hurt. If you are happy then others are not allowed to fight for their rights. The proper function of a system is not measured through the eyes of a group of privileged self absorbed people, “I can’t hear about these things I was involved in organizing. So what?” you are in-human, you are a troll. How dare you read a book that includes anti-racism with this attitude? Wake up and smell the coffee: “NOT THE WHOLE WORLD IS ABOUT YOU”

lagatta
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2534

posted 20 February 2005 08:15 PM      Profile for lagatta     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 

Jumble
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7453

posted 20 February 2005 08:37 PM      Profile for Jumble     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Yes, it was La marche du pain et des roses - as in the old song "Bread and Roses". I took part in the first and the last day of the march.

That must have been a great experience Lagatta.

Negad
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7863

posted 20 February 2005 08:46 PM      Profile for Negad   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Why on earth do you assume I'm a white person?-

I care as mcuh about you actual colour of skin as much as I care about Colour of skin of Condeleezza Rice

If you must know - I don't give a shit about you, you fucking management toady -[/QB][/QUOTE]
No I don't care about what you and people like you may think about me. If I did I would never take any step in my life to change anything.

Unions are suppsoe to be a tool for all workign people including people of colour and women and if it is not doing any good for them then there is something wrong with it.

Perhaps instead of making the assumption that it actually works for everyone first make a effort to educate yourself aobut struggles of people of colour before demanding that people stop talking about their rights.

but if babblers must know, in much of the 1970s and 1980s I devoted a great deal of energy to the difficult task of making unions here more inclusive, more multicultural, more devoted to organising ghettoes of discriminated workers. And my thesis relates to a topic on immigration and the workers' movement.

But you are a class enemy.[/QUOTE]

If you feel that you made unions inclusive and implemented anti-racists agendas then obviously some one along the way has un-done your work and you should be calling them names. However your name calling towards me is not going to stop me from speaking out.

If your intention is to save the union then you should address those who do not respect human rights isntaed of trying to stop those who are fighting for their rights.

I am sure when you were involved in feminst movement you had to deal with people who called you names and were trying to stop you from speaking out but spoke any way.

Waht wre they calling you? A class enemy?

lagatta
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2534

posted 20 February 2005 08:48 PM      Profile for lagatta     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 

Negad
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7863

posted 20 February 2005 09:09 PM      Profile for Negad   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Judy
After discussions on "racism and sexism within union" thread about making use of our struggles and other people's struggle in which one of your friends Skel was involved I used the following quote to emphasis on a point that allies do not always enter within the terms of those who they are supposedly supporting and used the following two quotes. I also made a point that if people who own the struggle have to first have to fight the supposed allies before they can feel empowered to fight their struggles then that is problem. This is on the web and I assumed that can be quoted however I removed it because I can make my point without it any way and let Lagata to calm down by removing it.
If your friend feels that quoting it in an antiracism discussion is “downright slanderous” then it is better not be used at all.

These are the quotes:

“The student movement was dominated by articulate young men who were arrogant and full of themselves. Women were intimidated, and there was a lot of nasty, misogynist stuff that happened. When the student left organization at Simon Fraser University invited some left-wing activists from Germany to speak, the women’s caucus there decided to hold a meeting with the woman member. The male left was so outraged that we would have a woman-only meeting that they tried to drown us out."

"The women were the workhorses in these organizations. We did the cooking and the cleaning. The men would get up and talk and talk. Men were the leaders, and we were told to do the grunge work. Anne Cools came to one of these meetings, and she blasted the men. She challenged us women in the room as to why we were not talking. In those days, I just sat quietly in the back of the room. I would sit there and sweat. I was afraid to speak, afraid that I would get shut down. Anne cursed the men out, saying, “fucking” this and “fucking” that. We had never heard a woman talk like that. She really empowered me. After that I thought, “I’m going raise my voice.”"

Jumble
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7453

posted 20 February 2005 09:15 PM      Profile for Jumble     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Other than recognising Judy's book and our history, I think the most important point would be to support the 2005 march around the Charter.

I was just reading about this year's Women's Day events and about the Charter. I found lots of good info at: Cybersolidaires The Web site also has many interesting sections and articles and offers a myriad of good links. 20 February 2005: Message edited by: Jumble ]

[ 20 February 2005: Message edited by: Jumble ]

audra trower williams
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2

posted 20 February 2005 10:51 PM      Profile for audra trower williams   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
lagatta, Negad, can we keep that fight out of this forum, and focus here on discussions of the book instead? Thanks.
From: And I'm a look you in the eye for every bar of the chorus | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Negad
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7863

posted 20 February 2005 11:35 PM      Profile for Negad   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I am all for it. I came to this site to enjoy reading about a book before I was subject of an attack.
lagatta
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2534

posted 20 February 2005 11:43 PM      Profile for lagatta     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 

Fidel
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5594

posted 21 February 2005 11:42 AM      Profile for Fidel     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Watchit Negad. lagatta's a firey Latin one. And we've got her back.

[ 21 February 2005: Message edited by: Fidel ]

From: Viva La Revolución | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
thwap
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5062

posted 21 February 2005 11:52 AM      Profile for thwap        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
So, who likes the book? Any reviews available?
Judes
publisher
Babbler # 21

posted 21 February 2005 12:02 PM      Profile for Judes   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Reviews of the book won't be out until after Feb 24. The publisher asks media to hold to make sure that all the bookstores have it before there are reviews. So no reviews yet in mainstream media.

But there were a couple of articles from Carol Goar on the book in

rabble

babbler reviews are welcome

belva
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 8098

posted 21 February 2005 12:05 PM      Profile for belva     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Judes:
Ten Thousand Roses comes from a story in the book. A rose grower in Drummondville was so inspired by the march on poverty when women marched from Montreal to Quebec City to make demands to eliminate poverty that he brought 10,000 roses to Quebec City for the rally.

Metaphorically it represents the thousands of women who worked for change in the women's movement.

Judes, your title reminds me of the "Bread & Roses" strike in Lawrence, Massachusetts in 1911-1912 & the song that came out of it. Do you know it? "Give us bread but give us roses, too!"

I love this 10,000 roses story--beautiful!

Haven't received my copy of the book yet--I'll let you know when I do. [Hate it when the brain goes faster than the fingers! Age?] I really look forward to reading it.

[ 21 February 2005: Message edited by: belva ]

thwap
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5062

posted 21 February 2005 12:07 PM      Profile for thwap        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
So what made the Canadian women's movement the longest-lasting such coalition in the Western world?

Somebody give me a hint, .. i'll read later.

Yah, I might check the book out when finances permit.

Melsky
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4748

posted 21 February 2005 12:12 PM      Profile for Melsky   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Are any Toronto babblers going to the reading on March 7? It might be fun to go as a group.
Negad
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7863

posted 21 February 2005 01:04 PM      Profile for Negad   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 

[ 21 February 2005: Message edited by: Negad ]

skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 21 February 2005 01:08 PM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Negad, no one has removed your posts here.
Albireo
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3052

posted 21 February 2005 01:12 PM      Profile for Albireo     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
...except for you yourself, apparently.
thwap
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5062

posted 21 February 2005 02:53 PM      Profile for thwap        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
The women were the workhorses in these organizations. We did the cooking and the cleaning. The men would get up and talk and talk. Men were the leaders, and we were told to do the grunge work. Anne Cools came to one of these meetings, and she blasted the men. She challenged us women in the room as to why we were not talking. In those days, I just sat quietly in the back of the room. I would sit there and sweat. I was afraid to speak, afraid that I would get shut down. Anne cursed the men out, saying, “fucking” this and “fucking” that. We had never heard a woman talk like that. She really empowered me. After that I thought, “I’m going raise my voice.”

I take it though, that Ms. Cools has become something of a disappointment to you all?

I quoted this because of:

1.) I was surprised to hear about Anne Cools that way,

and

2.) I'd been hearing about 'women afraid to speak/men dominating meetings even when they want to help' for years, and I just personally think that those days are (happily) passing.
At a group discussion with an internationally-reknowned lefty bigwig in Hamilton recently, young women (including women of colour) were confidently talking out of turn and disputing things with the bigwig and everyone else.

and, I guess:

3.) I'm kinda glad that I read that "10,000 Roses" link. As a man, I'm always uncomfortable hearing about what my sex used to/still does do to women. There's jerks on all sides of every debate, but for whatever reason, men are responsible for the bulk of the crap in the whole men-women thing. I get ashamed and defensive, so I generally tune that stuff out.
Reading that link, and how everything was described, I realize that Ms. Rebick has compiled an important work, and I congratulate you all on your successes.

p.s. And if that was patronizing, my apologies.

spatrioter
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2299

posted 21 February 2005 03:21 PM      Profile for spatrioter     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Melsky:
Are any Toronto babblers going to the reading on March 7? It might be fun to go as a group.
I plan on it. Who else is in? (Isn't it March 8th?)

[ 21 February 2005: Message edited by: spatrioter ]

From: Trinity-Spadina | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
kingblake
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3453

posted 21 February 2005 04:06 PM      Profile for kingblake     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'll be there.
Melsky
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4748

posted 21 February 2005 04:11 PM      Profile for Melsky   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by spatrioter:
I plan on it. Who else is in? (Isn't it March 8th?)

[ 21 February 2005: Message edited by: spatrioter ]

oops, typo. It's March 8 at 7:00.

Judes
publisher
Babbler # 21

posted 21 February 2005 05:54 PM      Profile for Judes   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Here's the details of the Toronto launch. It would be great to see a good turnout of babblers there

PANEL DISCUSSION, BOOK SIGNING
AND RECEPTION

International Women's Day
Tuesday, March 8th • 7 to 9 PM
at Ryerson University
2nd Floor, Jorgenson Hall
Room POD-250
350 Victoria Street, Toronto

Join Judy Rebick, Akua Benjamin, Ursula Franklin, Anjula Gogia of the Toronto Women’s Bookstore and Carolyn Egan, labour and abortion rights activist, as they discuss the issues and achievements of second wave feminism and today’s feminist issues.

The evening will be opened by native singer and drummer Zainab Amadahy and will feature performances by Rosina Kazi of Lal and poet/spoken word artist Motion.

Free light refreshments follow the panel discussion.

And BTW the Montreal launch is April 4, no details yet

Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 21 February 2005 05:57 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I've had it marked in my calendar since the day this thread started, Melsky. I'm looking forward to it too.
From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Cartman
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7440

posted 22 February 2005 01:16 AM      Profile for Cartman        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It sounds like an interesting read. I look forward to it.
From: Bring back Audra!!!!! | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 22 February 2005 10:13 AM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Barring, y'know, the usual, I will be there too.
Polunatic
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3278

posted 22 February 2005 05:47 PM      Profile for Polunatic   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I hope to be there too.
From: middle of nowhere | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Nam
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3472

posted 22 February 2005 07:33 PM      Profile for Nam     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Any chance of a Calgary event?
From: Calgary-Land of corporate towers | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
spatrioter
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2299

posted 22 February 2005 10:35 PM      Profile for spatrioter     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I got my copy at the Women's Bookstore today! Off I go to read...
kingblake
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3453

posted 24 February 2005 03:14 AM      Profile for kingblake     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'd planned on waiting 'til the launch, but I cheated and bought a copy today. The York Bookstore's having a 50% off sale on everything, including new books, so i splurged...

I'll start it right after Red Diaper Baby, which I also got.

Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 24 February 2005 08:46 AM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Whaa? Where's the York Bookstore? (Please don't tell me it's at 4700 Keele. But where else would it be? Seriously though - my budget is so tight right now but I'd love to get one at 50% off. Is the sale still on today?
From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
kingblake
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3453

posted 24 February 2005 11:48 AM      Profile for kingblake     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Sadly it is all the way up there. I'll pick one up for you and give it to you at the launch if you wanna avoid making the trek.
Judes
publisher
Babbler # 21

posted 24 February 2005 12:40 PM      Profile for Judes   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Penguin has just put my blog up. I am posting stories from the book tour but women can post their own stories about their struggles for equality and men too if they have related stories. Help pass the word about the
Ten Thousand Stories blog

bodhitrees
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 8000

posted 26 February 2005 03:21 PM      Profile for bodhitrees        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
May be judes book could go on a blog? The internet seems very poular at my local library,the letter size is adjustable and that's helpful for me,and others also many languages are available.
On a sad note, I report that a male acquaintance opines that the Polytechnique massacre from his view was not as reported.It is so sad to hear his conspiracy theories,he doesn't get it yet

belva
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 8098

posted 28 February 2005 02:45 PM      Profile for belva     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I picked up my copy from the bookstore on Friday evening. I spent most of the day yesterday reading it. My tears flowed all afternoon as I read. After dinner, I called a dear, dear friend & read parts to her--we cried & laughed together.

THANK YOU, Judes--very well done! I'm going to try to organize a book group to read & discuss it together.

THANK YOU, again, on behalf of women everywhere!

Bacchus
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4722

posted 28 February 2005 05:49 PM      Profile for Bacchus     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'll be there March 8th and I'll bring mrs bacchus too
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 28 February 2005 05:59 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Oh goody! I get to meet Mrs. Bacchus! And tell her all sorts of ... well anyhow. See you there!

Bacchus
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4722

posted 28 February 2005 06:07 PM      Profile for Bacchus     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
We will be coming straight from a massage appt so she will be too relaxed to freak on me

lol Now if only I can get Judes to autograph the book "To Bacchus"

Looking forward to seeing you there michelle

Judes
publisher
Babbler # 21

posted 28 February 2005 06:58 PM      Profile for Judes   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'll sign the book with anything you like within certain reason of course

And Belva, thanks for the beautiful feedback.

Mr. Magoo
guilty-pleasure
Babbler # 3469

posted 03 March 2005 02:09 PM      Profile for Mr. Magoo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
This may repeat some information, but I just got this in my e-mail:

Judy Rebick, Ryerson's CAW-Sam Gindin Chair in Social Justice, will launch her new book at an on-campus event March 8, International Women's Day. "Ten Thousand Roses: The Making of a Feminist Revolution" tells the stories of Canadian second-wave feminists and the issues that rallied them to activism between the 1960s and 1990s.

The evening will offer performances by native singer and drummer Zainab Amadahy, Rosina Kazi of the group LAL and poet/spoken word artist Motion. A panel discussion on the achievements of second-wave feminism and today's feminist issues will feature Ms. Rebick, Dr. Akua Benjamin, Director of the School of Social Work, advocate and author Dr. Ursula Franklin, Anjula Gogia of the Toronto Women's Bookstore and Carolyn Egan, labour and abortion rights activist.

What:
Panel discussion, book signing and reception for "Ten Thousand Roses: The Making of a Feminist Revolution"

When:
Tuesday, March 8
7 - 9 p.m.

Where:
The Commons, POD 250

For more information, call the Toronto Women's Bookstore at 416-922-8744.

From: ø¤°`°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°°¤ø, | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
yankcanuck
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5582

posted 03 March 2005 09:53 PM      Profile for yankcanuck     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
BREAD AND ROSES

As we go marching, marching
In the beauty of the day
A million darkened kitchens
A thousand mill lofts grey
Are touched with all the radiance
That a sudden sun discloses
For the people hear us singing
Bread and roses, bread and roses

We battle too for men
For they are women’s children
And we mother them again
Our lives shall not be sweetened
From birth until life closes
Hearts starve as well as bodies
Give us bread, but give us roses

We bring the greater days
For the rising of the women
Means the rising of the race
No more the drudge and idler
Ten that toil where one reposes
But the sharing of life’s glories
Bread and roses, bread and roses

Words by James Oppenheim (1912)

A version by John Denver was recorded, as well as (I think) one by Judy Collins (now pitching for Big Pharma, alas).

From: What wisdom can you find that is greater than kindness? | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Iggy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7779

posted 03 March 2005 10:22 PM      Profile for Iggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Those looking for reviews: Sarah Liss has one in the latest issue of Now Magazine. Check it out at Judy's blog.
kingblake
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3453

posted 18 March 2005 02:51 PM      Profile for kingblake     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Judes:
I'll sign the book with anything you like within certain reason of course
Sadly I left my book at home, and wasn't able to bring it to the Toronto launch for an autograph. Great event though!

spatrioter
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2299

posted 18 March 2005 03:12 PM      Profile for spatrioter     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I got my book signed "to spatrioter..."! I'm SUCH a babble geek.
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 18 March 2005 10:02 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I know what you mean! She signed it with my babble handle too!

Er...oh.

audra trower williams
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2

posted 19 March 2005 07:41 PM      Profile for audra trower williams   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hee!
From: And I'm a look you in the eye for every bar of the chorus | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
James
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5341

posted 26 March 2005 09:08 AM      Profile for James        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Judes to be interviewed CBC Radio 1, "Fresh Air", 8:30 AM local times TODAY.
Judes
publisher
Babbler # 21

posted 26 March 2005 01:33 PM      Profile for Judes   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Ten Thousand Roses made the Quill and Quire bestseller list for paperback non-fiction. Bestseller List

Toronto area babblers might be interested in an event on Monday night at Ryerson. From Second to Third Wave Feminism/ Someone wrote me an angry e mail telling me I was a dinosaur for not knowing about fourth wave feminism. Does anyone?

audra trower williams
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2

posted 26 March 2005 03:30 PM      Profile for audra trower williams   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I don't!

Have you read this, Judy? It's a good article.

Judes
publisher
Babbler # 21

posted 26 March 2005 05:03 PM      Profile for Judes   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Thanks Audra. That's a great article. I'm going to post it on my blog in preparation for Monday's discussion.
steffie
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3826

posted 07 October 2005 10:26 PM      Profile for steffie     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I found a photo I took of Judy speaking at the launch in Winnipeg, March 2005:

Looking at it brings back the terrific feeling of empowerment I felt (and pride) as I listened to these great women share their stories.

From: What are the roots that clutch, what branches grow / Out of this stony rubbish? | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
N.Beltov
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4140

posted 07 October 2005 10:31 PM      Profile for N.Beltov   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I was there too. Turns out that Susanna June Menzies (first on Judy's left) is ...my neighbour. And I never knew.
From: Vancouver Island | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca