babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » walking the talk   » anti-racism news and initiatives   » A Daughter retraces her parents trip to Auschwitz

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: A Daughter retraces her parents trip to Auschwitz
miles
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7209

posted 19 January 2005 08:46 AM      Profile for miles     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Todays Globe and Mail has a guest column whose author recounts her parents survival and following their deaths her own pilgrimage to Auschwitz.

By TOBY SALTZMAN
Special to The Globe and Mail
Wednesday, January 19, 2005 - Page R10

quote:
Like many Holocaust survivors, my parents lived under a perennial cloud of sadness, yet they rarely broke the silence of remembrance. They were hesitant to speak of their first spouses and four children (who perished), or their arrival at Auschwitz, or how my mother, a petite, blue-eyed blonde with "Aryan looks," was scarred on her forehead by Dr. Josef Mengele during an "operation to remove the Jewish part" of her brain. They were more inclined to reminisce about their good lives before the war (never mentioning the names of their former spouses), about concerts, walks in the park in Lodz, or travels to nearby cities of Warsaw or Krakow.

Edited to try to fix the link to the article

[ 19 January 2005: Message edited by: miles ]

here is the link to the article. It is saying that you have to register although all I did was a search with the authors name and found it for free. Sorry I do not know of another way to post it.

globe article

[ 19 January 2005: Message edited by: miles ]

johnpauljones
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7554

posted 19 January 2005 03:46 PM      Profile for johnpauljones     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I just read the hardcopy of this article. Quite simply it is an amazing story.

To think that her parents lived to talk about it is quite amazing. But I also found it interesting that in those times when the pre-war days were talked about the one item never mentioned was the spouses etc. Everything else from the village to lifestyle was except that.

From: City of Toronto | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Bacchus
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4722

posted 19 January 2005 04:21 PM      Profile for Bacchus     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Apparently you can even buy relics from then

Now what did purple signify?

audra trower williams
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2

posted 19 January 2005 04:24 PM      Profile for audra trower williams   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Jehovah's Witnesses.
From: And I'm a look you in the eye for every bar of the chorus | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bacchus
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4722

posted 19 January 2005 04:29 PM      Profile for Bacchus     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Ahh thanks Audra, I had forgotten that one.
skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 19 January 2005 04:51 PM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It must have been impossibly painful for her parents to remember those two first families. Beyond imagining for most of us.

But what testimony to the spirit that they started over, and apparently so joyfully. The photo of the author as a wee girl with her parents, still in Lodz in the late forties, that ran with this article in the Grope is a beautiful snap of a happy family -- it is hard to believe that the mother and father in that photo were only three or four years beyond the horror of the camps.

lagatta
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2534

posted 19 January 2005 06:50 PM      Profile for lagatta     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Here is another picture of Holocaust survivors who have found some joy in spite of their dead families, friends and communities: new mums with their babies in a DP camp in Germany in 1948.

That was a remarkable article - the dad was really at the upper end of those ever selected to live - most middle-aged persons (and all seniors, of course) were eliminated immediately, as were wee children and pregnant or nursing mums. One would have a few quibbles - such as the author's description of ... what was it (I read it this morning) "uncivilised violence" or something, in reference to the Nazi mass murderers. On the contrary, Nazi violence was most modern and "civilised" ... and alas not the last case of that we've seen since. Other than the current war on Iraq, etc, I'm thinking of the current trial of one of the Argentine torturers who threw dying torturees out of planes on "death flights" over the Rio de la Plata.

From: Se non ora, quando? | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Fidel
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5594

posted 21 January 2005 12:14 AM      Profile for Fidel     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
And the infamous "Skool of the Americas" has been given a name change: Western Hemisphere Institute for Security Cooperation, and still training right wing death squads for oppressive, fascist roles throughout Latin America.

[ 21 January 2005: Message edited by: Fidel ]

From: Viva La Revolución | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
lagatta
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2534

posted 26 January 2005 06:00 AM      Profile for lagatta     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Here is the remarkable story of a Buenos Aires couple who actually met at Auschwitz: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/4206089.stm

Fidel, the "Cooperative" renaming of the infamous torture School of the Americas should get the Orwell Newspeak prize.

I wonder what the Buenos Aires couple thought during the "genocidal dictatorship" in Argentina? Among its many other crimes (against dissidents, trade unionists and anyone suspected of being "subversive") the dictatorship was also viciously anti-semitic, and the torturers were inordinately fond of Nazi symbolism.

From: Se non ora, quando? | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Chelives
recent-rabble-rouser
Babbler # 8092

posted 02 February 2005 12:45 AM      Profile for Chelives     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
They were hesitant to speak of their first spouses and four children (who perished), or their arrival at Auschwitz, or how my mother, a petite, blue-eyed blonde with "Aryan looks," was scarred on her forehead by Dr. Josef Mengele during an "operation to remove the Jewish part" of her brain.

LOL!

How incredibly feckin stupid are you people??

Brain surgery was 90% fatal in 1940's.. Yet the gifted Dr. Mengele was able to cut into this woman's skull and leave only a small scar after attempting to remove a part of her brain. No other side effects could be noticed.

You dopes can't possibly be this stupid, can you?

[ 02 February 2005: Message edited by: Chelives ]

Chelives
recent-rabble-rouser
Babbler # 8092

posted 02 February 2005 12:52 AM      Profile for Chelives     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
And then Dr. Mengele sewed me and my sister at the hip and dressed us in cheerleader outifts....

ShyViolet
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6611

posted 02 February 2005 01:03 AM      Profile for ShyViolet     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
shove it, troll.
From: ~Love is like pi: natural, irrational, and very important~ | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Mandos
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 888

posted 02 February 2005 04:06 AM      Profile for Mandos   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Where'd you get this 90% number from? It's actually relatively easy to open up someone's skull and poke around without killing them, as I understand it. Intricate operations <i>non</i>, stupid pseudo-scientific fooling around <i>oui</i>. A small scar is all the evidence that need remain of temporarily taking off the lid, as it were.
From: There, there. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Macabee
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5227

posted 02 February 2005 07:59 AM      Profile for Macabee     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chelives:

LOL!

How incredibly feckin stupid are you people??

Brain surgery was 90% fatal in 1940's.. Yet the gifted Dr. Mengele was able to cut into this woman's skull and leave only a small scar after attempting to remove a part of her brain. No other side effects could be noticed.

You dopes can't possibly be this stupid, can you?

Holocaust denier ALERT

Mandos
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 888

posted 02 February 2005 10:20 AM      Profile for Mandos   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yes, we know. Well, at least I do.
From: There, there. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca