babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » walking the talk   » anti-racism news and initiatives   » Auschwitz liberation 60 years on

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Auschwitz liberation 60 years on
lagatta
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2534

posted 09 January 2005 01:37 PM      Profile for lagatta     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
There will no doubt be articles all month. In this one, a "Mengele twin" says she would forgive her torturer. I can't fathom that, but I guess people have different ways of finding peace of mind...

More stories by survivors, counsellors and liberators.

[ 09 January 2005: Message edited by: lagatta ]

From: Se non ora, quando? | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
VanLuke
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7039

posted 11 January 2005 11:15 PM      Profile for VanLuke     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Lagatta

Impossible to comprehend indeed. Just reading the article turns one's stomach upside down.

Btw the second link is for paying subscribers only

Papal Bull
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7050

posted 11 January 2005 11:21 PM      Profile for Papal Bull   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It was truly the lowest point in human history what happened at that "camp".

It is easily the most disgusting thing in the world, what happened then.

And as for forgiveness, it is hard to do, but completely possible.

From: Vatican's best darned ranch | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Fidel
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5594

posted 12 January 2005 04:48 AM      Profile for Fidel     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think Eli Weisel called it an experiment in evil.

But they needed Hitler to stop the spread of communism, just like they needed bin Laden and dozens upon dozens of evil bastards around the world in between.

From: Viva La Revolución | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
lagatta
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2534

posted 27 January 2005 10:56 AM      Profile for lagatta     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Among all the thoughtful, humanitarian comments on the Auschwitz horror and the persistence of genocide, anti-semitism and other forms of racism from people from all milieux, ethnic groups and faiths, Ariel Sharon is his usual thuggish self:

ARIEL SHARON, Israeli PM, speaking in the Knesset

"The Allies knew of the annihilation of the Jews and did nothing. Israel learnt that we can trust no one but ourselves. This phenomenon - of Jews defending themselves and fighting back - is an anathema [to] the new anti-Semites. Legitimate steps of self-defence which Israel takes in its war against Palestinian terror - actions which any sovereign state is obligated to undertake - are presented by those who hate Israel as aggressive, Nazi-like steps."

Guess no old resistance fighters (including a friend of mine who personally saved Jewish refugees, in France) will give him the punch in the nose he deserves. Fortunately veteran Israeli peace activist Uri Avnery seems to have anticipated Sharon's thuggish comments:

URI AVNERY, Israeli peace activist
The Holocaust overshadows everything the Israeli people think and do. Our attitude is conditioned by the Holocaust. It conditions Israel to justify any means because compared with the Holocaust any bad things we do are negligible by comparison. It is a standard of comparison which gives a kind of moral permit to do anything. In a way we are still victims of the Holocaust today but in a different way. It twists our outlook on things."

http://news.independent.co.uk/europe/story.jsp?story=604970

johnpauljones
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7554

posted 27 January 2005 11:03 AM      Profile for johnpauljones     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The first part of the quote from sharon is accurate.

quote:
ARIEL SHARON, Israeli PM, speaking in the Knesset

"The Allies knew of the annihilation of the Jews and did nothing. Israel learnt that we can trust no one but ourselves. This phenomenon - of Jews defending themselves and fighting back - is an anathema [to] the new anti-Semites.

It is the sentance after this that I have problems with.

But Sharon in the above part is correct. Although the were groups of those who did everything they could to stop the Holocaust and usually paid with their lives it is true that Roosevelt knew of the camps but did nothing. Churchill knew and did nothing.

Why did Churchill not order Bomber Harris to bomb the railroads leading to the camps but rahter did nothing.

Why did George Marshall Army Chief of Staff not order Hap Arnold and the 8th Air Force to bomb the railway lines but rather did nothing.

From: City of Toronto | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
lagatta
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2534

posted 27 January 2005 11:14 AM      Profile for lagatta     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
My point is that fascism first destroyed the workers' movement and the left and violently crushed all forms of dissent - including precisely those who were allies in the fight against anti-semitism and other forms of racism. Sharon's response is to excuse his thuggish actions against the Palestinian people - who played no role in the Holocaust, it was a European crime (with complicity from Europeans' descendants in the Americas, from the US and Canada ("None is too many") down to Argentina.

I do agree with what you say about Allied leaders. Fighting Hitler's genocidal racism was at best a sideline for them.

I mostly wanted to point out the jarring tone of Sharon's comments, as compared with the elegiac notes of all the others.

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca