babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » walking the talk   » anti-racism news and initiatives   » Defining Racism

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Defining Racism
salaam
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4670

posted 04 January 2005 12:46 AM      Profile for salaam     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The ICERD (International Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Racial Discrimination) defines racial discrimination as:
“Any distinction, exclusion, restriction, or preference based on race, colour, descent, or national or ethnic origin which has the purpose or effect of nullifying or impairing the recognition, enjoyment, or exercise, on equal footing, of human rights and fundamental freedoms in the political, economic, social, cultural, or any other field of public life.”

Can we all agree on this definition?

Edited : ( racism -> racial discrimination)

[ 04 January 2005: Message edited by: salaam ]

Phonicidal
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7635

posted 04 January 2005 01:00 AM      Profile for Phonicidal     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by salaam:
The ICERD (International Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Racial Discrimination) defines racism as:...
Possibly a minor point: that is not how they define "racism", it is how they define "racial discrimination."

Here's a link to the ICERD

From: Thornhill, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
remind
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6289

posted 04 January 2005 01:13 AM      Profile for remind     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Your a little beyond belief phoni, racism = racial discrimination.

Main Entry: rac·ism
Pronunciation: 'rA-"si-z&m also -"shi-
Function: noun
1 : a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race
2 : racial prejudice or discrimination
- rac·ist /-sist also -shist/ noun or adjective

http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?book=Dictionary&va=racism&x=22&y=14

From: "watching the tide roll away" | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Phonicidal
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7635

posted 04 January 2005 02:39 AM      Profile for Phonicidal     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by remind:
racism = racial discrimination.
All poodles are dogs. But not all dogs are poodles. Racism is a form of racial discrimination, but it is not entirely synonymous. In the example that salaam gave, which I linked to, the word "racism" is not used once. Plus, it includes some uncomfortable loopholes. Therefore, I don't see the definition as wrong, just incomplete.

[ 04 January 2005: Message edited by: Phonicidal ]

salaam
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4670

posted 04 January 2005 02:48 AM      Profile for salaam     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I've edited the post, Phonicidal. Are you ok with it now?
Jeit
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7780

posted 04 January 2005 03:17 AM      Profile for Jeit     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
“Any distinction, exclusion, restriction, or preference based on race, colour, descent, or national or ethnic origin which has the purpose or effect of nullifying or impairing the recognition, enjoyment, or exercise, on equal footing, of human rights and fundamental freedoms in the political, economic, social, cultural, or any other field of public life.”

No it's not a very good definition.

National origin certainly does not equate race, most nations have many races.

It's also too long (run on). It doesn't define fundamental freedoms yet uses that to generalize to any field on public life.

Listing political, economic, social, cultural is also redundant when you say 'any other field of public life'.

Also, the word "discriminate" does not imply a negative. I could say "Native people are smart", I am still discriminating, yet according to that definition I’m not.

Phonicidal
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7635

posted 04 January 2005 03:28 AM      Profile for Phonicidal     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by salaam:
I've edited the post, Phonicidal. Are you ok with it now?
I'm OK with your post. But, I still don't think that the definition is 100% perfect. One reason for this may be that a UN convention like that is subject to a lot of political pressures. Every country wants to be able to look good by signing the thing, but they don't want it to apply to them. So, it gets watered down so that more countries will support it and sign on to the convention.

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca