babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » walking the talk   » anti-racism news and initiatives   » Kingston, Ontario hasn't come a long way, baby.

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Kingston, Ontario hasn't come a long way, baby.
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 13 December 2004 07:02 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'm so pissed off about this.

quote:
In his decision yesterday afternoon, the hearing adjudicator, retired OPP Inspector Gregory Connolley,

A retired police officer adjudicating! Gosh, I'll bet he had no bias whatsoever.

quote:
cleared both constables Clint Wills and Curtis Borel of unlawful or unnecessary arrest for their decision to handcuff and search Mark Wallen, then 19, and Adrian Parkes, then 17, as they walked home from basketball practice on March 24, 2003.

Although neither teen was ever charged with any crime, the officers had reasonable suspicion that they had been peering into cars along Kingscourt Avenue and appropriate cause to arrest and search them, Connolley ruled.

Apparently it's illegal to peer into cars in Kingston. Illegal enough to stop teenagers and arrest them at gunpoint.

quote:
Connolley sifted through sometimes contradictory testimony from nine witnesses and 11 pieces of evidence to render his decision. He said where testimony differed, he would rely on the word of the two police officers over that of the teens.

Yup, no bias on the part of this former cop!

quote:
In his first interview since the incident with the teens 20 months ago, Wills said he was relieved that the hearing, which stretched on over four months, had ruled in his favour, lifting a cloud that had been hanging over his reputation.

“I’m feeling great. It felt good from the start. I felt good about the whole thing,” he said.

I feel great! I can draw my gun on anyone and my cop buddies'll whitewash it all the way! Gosh I'm happy!

quote:
Now that the hearing is over, Wallen says she needs to get away from Kingston.

She plans to leave for the Caribbean next Wednesday to care for her mother following the recent death of her father.

Andrew has arranged to stay with friends until his mother returns in March and once he graduates high school next year the entire family will move away from Kingston permanently, Wallen said.

And with that, a bunch of racist cops run one of my best friends and her family out of my hometown.

[ 13 December 2004: Message edited by: Michelle ]

From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
dillinger
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7346

posted 14 December 2004 03:41 PM      Profile for dillinger   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
the only way for a cop to get convicted would be is he shot up a busload of nuns.

... make that white nuns.

... from a well established religion.

Chris Borst
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 731

posted 14 December 2004 04:14 PM      Profile for Chris Borst     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
While it's clear that the family is in no position to do this, is there a way to appeal this ruling? Do you know if any groups are supporting the Wallens and Parkes, or if there's anything that can be done to do so?

On the bigger scale, are there options on policing other than setting up our own counter-police forces? The politicians don't seem to see any percentage in fighting for civilian oversight, and such bodies don't seem (from what I've heard) to have a lot better record at rectifying abuses.

(Edited to remove unnecessary and excessive expression of anger.)

[ 14 December 2004: Message edited by: Chris Borst ]

From: Taken off to the Great White North | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bacchus
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4722

posted 14 December 2004 04:16 PM      Profile for Bacchus     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
The only good cop is a dead cop.

That is a completely uncalled for comment Chris and totally against the rules here

audra trower williams
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2

posted 14 December 2004 04:26 PM      Profile for audra trower williams   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I agree, that's not okay at all. Please refrain from similar comments in the future.
From: And I'm a look you in the eye for every bar of the chorus | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mr. Magoo
guilty-pleasure
Babbler # 3469

posted 14 December 2004 04:28 PM      Profile for Mr. Magoo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Thank you for tipping your hand though Chris. It's good to know who's advocating murder and who isn't.
From: ø¤°`°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°°¤ø, | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Chris Borst
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 731

posted 14 December 2004 04:52 PM      Profile for Chris Borst     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by audra trower williams:
I agree, that's not okay at all. Please refrain from similar comments in the future.

Check.

From: Taken off to the Great White North | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
swirrlygrrl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2170

posted 14 December 2004 05:21 PM      Profile for swirrlygrrl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Michelle called both my reaction and the first comment that jumped out at me (that where testimony differed, the cop would be taken as telling the truth), but there's also this that gave me a start:

quote:
At the start of his shift, Wills had learned of a police alert for a mulatto man with a pit bull and a tall, white woman who was known to carry a handgun.

I didn't know people used that word anymore - thought it went out the window along with "coloured" and such.

The systematic recording of race of all people stopped by police will be interesting - I'm sure it will show some systemic problems, things that make clear WHY black teenagers in Kingston might react hostilely to police. Belligerence and attitiude makes sense to me as a reaction to yet again being stopped by police for doing things that are suspicious because you are black (driving a nice car, walking down the street with gym bags).

quote:
Wills said he has no regrets about stopping or pulling his gun on the teens, the first time he has drawn his service pistol on a suspect.

This guy completely overreacted. He PULLED A GUN on two kids who weren't even accused of a crime.

quote:
the officers had reasonable suspicion that they had been peering into cars along Kingscourt Avenue

This justifies drawing a loaded weapon and pointing it at people???? In what universe? If they'd knocked over a convenience store or committed an assault or were accused of anything of that magnitude, MAYBE it would be justified. But there wasn't even a crime committed that he knew of, and I have no idea how he or anyone could not see this as a total racist overreaction which seems to be par for the course for Kingston cops. Four pull overs by police in three months, two involving police drawing their weapons. Bullshit that racial profiling isn't involved, or a vendetta by police against this particular black teenager.

quote:
A man Wills had once arrested approached him at the criminal court house to wish the officer luck.

“He shook my hand and said: ‘I’m sorry to hear about all the crap you’re going through,’ ” Wills recounted. “ ‘I just want you to know I’m behind you.’ And he said ‘you were always good to me.’ ”

Funny that they don't feel the need to mention the ethnicity of the guy who told the cop this. Couldn't be that this guy who wasn't manhandled was white, could it? Racists of the world, unite.

From: the bushes outside your house | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca