FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » archived babble   » USA   » Laura Bush on abstinence

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Laura Bush on abstinence
Andy (Andrew)
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10884

posted 18 January 2006 08:46 PM      Profile for Andy (Andrew)   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
http://tinyurl.com/7mr4f

Sorry in advance about the source.

quote:
How refreshing to have a first lady who backs her husband’s policies and is not afraid to speak out for abstinence. The United States does not fund agencies that distribute condoms and strongly opposes promoting condoms as a “cure-all” for sexually transmitted diseases. The U.S. has, instead, promoted an ABc program: A means Abstinence is the best choice along with Being faithful in marriage and condoms are an option only when one member of a couple is unwilling or unable to be abstinent or faithful.

The first lady’s clear, unequivocal message powerfully endorses the official U.S. policy and will strengthen U.S. efforts abroad, as well as promote women’s well-being in Africa. Who knows how many lives she saved and how much she encouraged the young women of that great continent?

Who better to speak out on abstinence but someone married to George Bush?

[ 18 January 2006: Message edited by: Andy (Andrew) ]

Doug
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 44

posted 18 January 2006 09:16 PM      Profile for Doug   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I sure wish George and Barbara Bush had abstained.
From: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sandy47
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10648

posted 20 January 2006 11:25 AM      Profile for Sandy47     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I was unable to access the article. Maybe later? But jeez... just reading what was put up

quote:
The first lady’s clear, unequivocal message powerfully endorses the official U.S. policy and will strengthen U.S. efforts abroad, as well as promote women’s well-being in Africa.

Who knows how many lives she saved and how much she encouraged the young women of that great continent?

I'm fairly certain the answer to that question is zero(0), zip(0), nada(0), nil(0), and likely fuckall(0).

Why are these people allowed to open their mouths/stroke their keyboards and spew this shit? When is it going to be 'enough already'?

From: Southwest of Niagara - 43.0° N 81.2° W | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Américain Égalitaire
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7911

posted 20 January 2006 11:34 AM      Profile for Américain Égalitaire   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I would expect that kind of gee-whiz drivel from the CWA.

quote:
"I'm always a little bit irritated when I hear the criticism of abstinence, because abstinence is absolutely 100 percent effective in eradicating a sexually transmitted disease," Mrs. Bush said, before tying her answer in with one of the major themes of her trip, women's rights in Africa.

"In a country or a part of the world where one in three people have a sexually transmitted deadly disease, you have to talk about abstinence, you really have to," she said. "In many countries where girls feel obligated to comply with the wishes of men, girls need to know that abstinence is a choice."

Abstinence is also a state that is unnatural to the human species. When will these people ever get over their anti-sex and racist notions of healthy sexual behaviour? People fuck. Its what they do. And sex is not the province of rich, white people with proper bona fides. Its really racist to come to Africa and lecture people on abstinence but of course she doesn't see that.

Of course, she won't talk about genuine economic reform and debt relief which could really improve conditions in Africa, nor about US political meddling on the continent especially where oil is concerned.

The elitism is just sickening.

From: Chardon, Ohio USA | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
peacenik2
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10286

posted 20 January 2006 12:21 PM      Profile for peacenik2        Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Américain Égalitaire:

Abstinence is also a state that is unnatural to the human species. When will these people ever get over their anti-sex and racist notions of healthy sexual behaviour? People fuck. Its what they do. And sex is not the province of rich, white people with proper bona fides. Its really racist to come to Africa and lecture people on abstinence but of course she doesn't see that.

Of course, she won't talk about genuine economic reform and debt relief which could really improve conditions in Africa, nor about US political meddling on the continent especially where oil is concerned.

The elitism is just sickening.

Very well put AE, & good luck with that surgery.

From: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
chilipepper
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 11377

posted 20 January 2006 12:24 PM      Profile for chilipepper     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
[QB]I would expect that kind of gee-whiz drivel from the CWA.

QB]

Why on earth is it racist to suggest people abstain? Safe sex would be the preference but if you can't do that, then please, do abstain.

bigcitygal
Volunteer Moderator
Babbler # 8938

posted 20 January 2006 02:06 PM      Profile for bigcitygal     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
AE: loved your post! Best wishes, too, for a healthy recovery.

chilipepper:

quote:
Its really racist to come to Africa and lecture people on abstinence but of course she doesn't see that.

Think about what it means for a white privileged woman who's the wife of the President of the US, to go to various countries in Africa and talk about AIDS, safe sex and abstinence.

What are her qualifications? What research in a culturally-appropriate context is she aware of? What is her motivation? Why should anyone pay attention to what she says?

Those are rhetorical questions, btw.

From: It's difficult to work in a group when you're omnipotent - Q | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
anne cameron
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 8045

posted 20 January 2006 03:56 PM      Profile for anne cameron     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Jesus knows if I were married to Dubya I'd be all in favour of abstinence, too!

Not to overlook the possibility I'd belong to the NRA and have a couple of cute little handguns under my pillow.

From: tahsis, british columbia | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Mr. Magoo
guilty-pleasure
Babbler # 3469

posted 20 January 2006 04:05 PM      Profile for Mr. Magoo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I love it when religious nutters feel the need to remind everyone that not having sex is an option.

Duh!

What about eating? I mean, I'm putting food in my mouth constantly because I guess I'm supposed to or something. Would it be OK to sometimes not eat for a few hours? Help me out here.

And dancing. All the kids are doing it, apparently, and I'm pretty much exhausted from dancing 16 hours a day (while eating). Could I take a break? Nobody's ever explicitly told me I could, and I didn't want to chance it, but I'd sure love it if some rich lady would come and tell me it's OK for me to not dance sometimes.

And drinking. Boy, you've never had to pee so bad as when you're drinking all the time. I'd love nothing better than to stop for a while, but I read somewhere where you have to drink or you'll die, and I just naturally assumed that meant "constantly".

Honestly, I've about had it up to here with doing all sorts of things — eating, drinking, getting tattooed, renovating my bathroom, driving, scrubbing things, playing, feeding my cat, and a million other things — and now I find out that they're not mandatory! I could have said no to any of them!

Why didn't the rich lady tell me sooner?

From: ø¤°`°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°°¤ø, | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Transplant
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 9960

posted 20 January 2006 04:09 PM      Profile for Transplant     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
"In many countries where girls feel obligated to comply with the wishes of men, girls need to know that abstinence is a choice."

Yeah, right, a choice that will just likely get them beaten and raped in many circumstances.

Thanks a lot for the free advice Laura.

It's worth what it cost.

From: Free North America | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
chilipepper
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 11377

posted 20 January 2006 04:10 PM      Profile for chilipepper     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigcitygal:
AE: loved your post! Best wishes, too, for a healthy recovery.

chilipepper:

Think about what it means for a white privileged woman who's the wife of the President of the US, to go to various countries in Africa and talk about AIDS, safe sex and abstinence.

What are her qualifications? What research in a culturally-appropriate context is she aware of? What is her motivation? Why should anyone pay attention to what she says?

Those are rhetorical questions, btw.

Hmmm, all very abstract, but I don't see how it is racist at all, insensitive I would say - but not racist. Good grief, does it matter what your culture is or what country you live in if safe sex or abstinence is a matter of life or death? Surely education about high risk behaviour is a given for any country. Even if we had a vacine against HIV, or a cure shouldn't we be helping to educate people on being safe? After all, it is high risk behaviour that has promoted the spread of aids, not blood tranfusions.

Mr. Magoo
guilty-pleasure
Babbler # 3469

posted 20 January 2006 04:19 PM      Profile for Mr. Magoo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Good grief, does it matter what your culture is or what country you live in if safe sex or abstinence is a matter of life or death?

I guess it must. I mean, she's not touring around Britain, lecturing the locals about keeping their knees together, right? She's not dropping by France with some pamphlets, is she? They have HIV in Germany... why isn't she giving her little chats there?

From: ø¤°`°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°°¤ø, | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
lagatta
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2534

posted 20 January 2006 04:23 PM      Profile for lagatta     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
It would not be racist for a person from the same culture to advocate safer-sex behaviour - unrealistic perhaps, but not racist. But for someone coming from a rich industrialised country to preach to people in countries long exploited by imperialism on how to live is definitely racist, classist and arrogant.

Many young (and some not so young) women in many African societies have little choice in the matter. Remember, a lot of those countries have been ravaged by endemic civil wars in recent years. In Europe as well, such protracted conflicts led to mass rapes and a callous attitude to women, not only in the world wars but also in the recent conflicts in the former Yugoslavia.

African women will be the ones who can heal their societies - there are several such initiatives under way, including in Rwanda and Burundi, after the genocides. And they are certainly capable of demanding outside aid and support.

From: Se non ora, quando? | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Bacchus
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4722

posted 20 January 2006 04:59 PM      Profile for Bacchus     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Isnt there also a belief in Africa that men with HIV/Aids can cure it by screwing a virgin?

Would that make "no thanks Im abstinent" a moot point?

eau
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10058

posted 20 January 2006 05:10 PM      Profile for eau        Edit/Delete Post
Maybe when Laura visited Africa she should have visited the King of Swaziland, they probably move in the same social circle.

I can't count as high as he has wives, but I doubt if any of them, picked for virginity, have much say in abstinence.

Papal Bull
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7050

posted 20 January 2006 05:53 PM      Profile for Papal Bull   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Abstinence is also a state that is unnatural to the human species. When will these people ever get over their anti-sex and racist notions of healthy sexual behaviour?

People fuck. Its what they do.

First off abstinence is quite natural for me. To actually be driven to fall into a sexual act would be very unnatural feeling and I would be most uncomfortable. I don't believe that I am in anyway anti-sex or ignorant of healthy sexuality. HOWEVER anyone who is willing to say that abstinence is unnatural/a sort of realm of aversion to human behaviours needs to take a look beyond their preconceived notions of sex and understand that some humans don't dig it. People fuck. However that's not what I do.

/offtopic

That said abstinence based education is obscene. Teenagers NEED to be educated on sex so that they can make good choices and be safe. I have no respect for people that choose to force a single choice on people. And that's in Canada/America.

Denying this education and extremely important foundation to the young of areas at risk to deadly diseases...such as AIDS in Africa. It's also a dangerous game that transcends simple racism - this is a game of international politics that have TENS OF MILLIONS of lives at risk. And it is something that shouldn't be a game; this issue should have a definitive international mandate of caring, understanding and stopping a pandemic.

From: Vatican's best darned ranch | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
M. Spector
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 8273

posted 20 January 2006 11:24 PM      Profile for M. Spector   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Abstinence doesn't work

Abstinence-only education is irresponsible and dangerous

From: One millihelen: The amount of beauty required to launch one ship. | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca