babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » archived babble   » USA   » GOP hijacked by religious fanatics, Senate candidate says

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: GOP hijacked by religious fanatics, Senate candidate says
Hephaestion
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4795

posted 18 January 2006 05:49 PM      Profile for Hephaestion   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post
quote:
(Washington) Ohio's Republican leader wants Democratic U.S. Senate candidate Paul Hackett to apologize for calling some conservative Republicans religious fanatics and comparing them to terrorist mastermind Osama bin Laden.

Hackett was unapologetic Tuesday for the comments in a newspaper story, saying religious fanatics of any flavor should be ashamed.

"I said it. I meant it. I stand behind it," he said.

Hackett said in a Sunday column in The Columbus Dispatch: "The Republican Party has been hijacked by the religious fanatics that, in my opinion, aren't a whole lot different than Osama bin Laden and a lot of the other religious nuts around the world."

Hackett, an Iraq war veteran from the Cincinnati suburb of Indian Hill, is running for the Democratic nomination for U.S. Senate against Rep. Sherrod Brown. They are vying to run against two-term Republican Sen. Mike DeWine.

Hackett also said the practice of denying gays equal rights is un-American. The newspaper asked Hackett if that meant the 62 percent of Ohioans who voted to ban gay marriage were un-American.

"If what they believe is that we're going to have a scale on judging which Americans have equal rights, yeah, that's un-American," Hackett said.

[ 18 January 2006: Message edited by: Hephaestion ]

From: goodbye... :-( | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Reality. Bites.
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6718

posted 18 January 2006 05:54 PM      Profile for Reality. Bites.        Edit/Delete Post
Ah yes, the "but if lots of people believe something how can you call them bigots?" argument. One I've heard a lot.

From the not-so-dearly departed.

From: Gone for good | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Américain Égalitaire
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7911

posted 18 January 2006 07:10 PM      Profile for Américain Égalitaire   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
"I said it. I meant it. I stand behind it," he said.

I've never heard of this guy but I like him already!

From: Chardon, Ohio USA | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
fake_oxygen
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 8898

posted 18 January 2006 07:18 PM      Profile for fake_oxygen     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I've heard of him a few times, he's really fiery, one of the types of politicians the Dems need. For so long it seems like they just sit there and take it. Whenever I've heard Hackett speak I've found myself saying "rock on man". He once got accosted by some war supporter and was threatened by him, so he basically said "oh yeah, you want to make something of it?"...something not typically said by politicians, but it definately helped make him a bit of a populist figure in the Dem. party.
pogge
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2440

posted 18 January 2006 07:22 PM      Profile for pogge   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Paul Hackett is the Dem who ran against Mean Jean Schmidt in the special election for congress in Ohio. He surprised everyone by almost taking it.

He's a tough cookie -- he's a Marine. He's not about to back down from anyone.

From: Why is this a required field? | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Hegemo
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5176

posted 18 January 2006 08:26 PM      Profile for The Hegemo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Hackett ran against Schmidt in the 2nd District which is where I grew up, and voted until 2004. It's been known as one of the most heavily Republican districts in the country -- Willis Gradison and then Rob Portman routinely received 70%+ of the vote. Hackett came within a couple points of knocking off Schmidt, which really is amazing (although it also makes me wonder what could have happened all those other years the Dems just put up a nominal candidate who spent $5000 on his campaign in the 2nd) and has won him a lot of attention nationally.

Hackett is now aiming to take on Mike DeWine for U.S. Senate this year, although he has a tough primary opponent in Lorain Rep. Sherrod Brown. Brown likely has more support from the Democratic establishment but Hackett has drawn more national attention.

The one thing that kind of bothers me about Hackett -- and it's really not so much about him as it is about people who support him -- is that there seems to be something of a cult of personality developing around him. I hear a lot of people talking as if Hackett is the only choice and Brown is horrible and really distorting Brown's record to make him sound much more conservative than he is (he's probably to the left of Hackett on a lot of things) and how dare he run against Hackett. It's a similar kind of thing that grew up around Dean in 2004 (and a lot of the people I hear it from are erstwhile Deaniacs), and it creeps me out a little. I really haven't made up my mind yet who I'm supporting in the primary, though.

On this, though, good on Hackett. I'm sick to death of not being allowed to call these bigots what they are.

From: The Persistent Vegetative States of America | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
josh
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2938

posted 19 January 2006 09:41 AM      Profile for josh     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Yes, Hackett has become something of a cult figure on internet sites like daily kos. The truth is he can't hold a candle to Brown. Except for Bernie Sanders, Brown would be the most progressive candidate running for any senate seat in the country. However, because of the primary, whoever wins will have less of a chance of winning in November than had there been no primary. Hackett could have taken another run at the Ohio-2 seat. By running for the senate seat, he reduces the chances of the Democrats winning either race.
From: the twilight zone between the U.S. and Canada | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
HellofaSandwich
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5681

posted 20 January 2006 07:45 PM      Profile for HellofaSandwich   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Sherrod's good on the issues, but Hackett definitely has more of an allure to him. As an Iraq War Vet, he also has the personal capital to appeal to a broader cross-section of voters than Sherrod might be able to.

I like the way Hackett successfully reframes debates--eg. abortion is an issue of privacy; the Republican party isn't the party of Christian conservatism but of extremist fundamentalists, etc. I think he could have the cultural appeal to win this one in the Buckeye state.

Whether he wins the primary, is a whole other matter, though.

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca