babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » archived babble   » USA   » Survey: overweight ain't so unattractive after all

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Survey: overweight ain't so unattractive after all
Hephaestion
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4795

posted 14 January 2006 09:09 AM      Profile for Hephaestion   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post
quote:
(AP) Thin is still in, but apparently fat is nowhere near as out as it used to be.

A survey finds America's attitudes toward overweight people are shifting from rejection toward acceptance. Over a 20-year period, the percentage of Americans who said they find overweight people less attractive steadily dropped from 55 per cent to 24 per cent, the market research firm NPD Group found.

With about two-thirds of U.S. adults overweight, Americans seem more accepting of heavier body types, researchers say. The NPD survey of 1,900 people representative of the U.S. population also found other more relaxed attitudes about weight and diet.

While body image remains a constant obsession, the national preoccupation with being thin has waned since the late 1980s and early 1990s, said the NPD's Harry Balzer.

Those were the days when fast food chains rushed to install salad bars. In 1989, salads as a main course peaked at 10 per cent of all restaurant meals. Today, those salad bars have all but vanished and salads account for just 5 1/2 per cent of main dishes.

"It turns out health is a wonderful topic to talk about," Balzer said. "But to live that way is a real effort."

... and we all know that anything that takes effort is just sooooooo not worth it, right?

From: goodbye... :-( | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Américain Égalitaire
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7911

posted 14 January 2006 09:48 AM      Profile for Américain Égalitaire   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Hm. I frankly doubt this is a overall trend but perhaps its so in many places in the US.

However, the big stick is going to be deployed someday - triaging the obese from the health care system unless they lose weight. With costs continuing to skyrocket a new scapegoat has to be found and study after study point to overweight people as costing the system disproportionately. The job is nearly done with smoking and smokers.

From: Chardon, Ohio USA | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
deBeauxOs
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10099

posted 14 January 2006 01:37 PM      Profile for deBeauxOs     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
posted by Hephaestion: ... and we all know that anything that takes effort is just sooooooo not worth it, right?
This may be a drop in the bucket, but ... As I have mentioned previously, my main news source is radio and the occasional newspaper. My television set is used for watching v-tapes and dvds - no cable.

However, last year I was at my Dad's home, watching the umpteenth rerun of his favourite show - JAG - when I was clicking through the other channels and caught a promo for a new 'reality' show. The premise: ten average 'murrican citizens, between the ages of 25 - 50, selected for their obesity and willingness to become "the biggest loser". Intrigued, I switched over to the program after my Dad's show. I was agreably surprised to see that the show, though de rigueur based on the competitive imperative set by the other 'reality' shows, promoted health, well-being, commitment and mutual support. It is now in its third season, and it has generated an intense following as well as testimonials from people who were inspired by the participants. A surprising success, but it appears that this show taps a desire in the US psyche to challenge unhealthy eating habits and improve fitness levels.

[ 14 January 2006: Message edited by: deBeauxOs ]

From: missing in action | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
anne cameron
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 8045

posted 14 January 2006 02:18 PM      Profile for anne cameron     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
But with the growing number of morbidly obese people, it would appear to be one of those "great idea for someone else" kinds of things.

I've never been "heavy", most of my life I've collected nick-names like "stretch" and "slim", and at times I've even been called "ribs" and "skinnimalink" so I really can't speak from any experience with extra weight. I do know I find rolls and aprons most unattractive and I imagine the people burdened by them must feel terrible. Several of my long-term and very best friends have struggled with diet, excersize, and even hard physical work to lose extra weight..I find it very "interesting" they are ALL of them extremely good cooks.

I think AE is right, though, the official persecution will soon begin, not just in Amerikkka, but here. Seems we always just gotta have a goat!

From: tahsis, british columbia | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
solomongrundie
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 11720

posted 14 January 2006 02:34 PM      Profile for solomongrundie        Edit/Delete Post
Everyone has their own subjective opinion of what's 'attractive'.

I've always been attracted to fit people who lead a healthy lifestyle. My friends have always been outdoors oriented folks who enjoy hiking and similar activities.

There's a comment above about restaurant food. Why does someone have to eat in a restaurant? Except when we travel, we prepare all our own food. The best dates my wife and I have are filling up the daypack, going for a hike and eating a delicios healthy meal out in the mountains or even down the road in a city park.

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca