babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » archived babble   » USA   » Alabama: "Ten Commandments Judge" to run for Guv'ner

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Alabama: "Ten Commandments Judge" to run for Guv'ner
Hephaestion
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4795

posted 12 January 2006 05:52 AM      Profile for Hephaestion   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post

quote:
(Birmingham) Former Alabama Chief Justice Roy Moore officially threw his hat in the ring for Alabama governor on Wednesday.  

Moore went to Republican Party headquarters in Birmingham where he paid his $1,927 registration fee to face off against Gov. Bob Riley for the GOP nomination.

An evangelical Christian who opposes same-sex marriage and supports school prayer Moore made headlines in 2003 when he was removed as Chief Justice after the state's nine-member Court of Judicial Inquiry found he had violated judicial ethical standards for defiance of a federal judge's order to move a Ten Commandments monument he had installed in the rotunda of the state courthouse.

Last month his wife gave an indication of what Moore's platform would be in an email seeking campaign donations she sent to supporters.

Kayla Moore wrote in the email that her husband is opposed by people who want to promote gay marriage and who "fear nothing more than the emergence of a powerful national spokesperson for Christian conservatism. 

"And make no mistake: If elected governor of Alabama, my husband will be that spokesman!" she wrote.

From: goodbye... :-( | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Américain Égalitaire
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7911

posted 12 January 2006 08:24 AM      Profile for Américain Égalitaire   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Scattered lyrics from "Southern Man" and "Sweet Home Alabama" come to mind, but don't do this story any justice. Perhaps "Every Man A King" (about Huey Long) might be more appropriate but Long was never a Bible thumper.

Well perhaps we NEED (?) one more example of why religion and politics shouldn't mix and the corrosive effect that mixing has on personal freedoms and general tolerance.

Well, George Wallace couldn't stop social progress so maybe Moore won't either. But then again, the country was progressing forward then and its regressing now. There are no Bobby Kennedys out there anymore.

Hell, he'll probably win. And the world will again recoil from America.

From: Chardon, Ohio USA | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sven
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 9972

posted 12 January 2006 11:51 PM      Profile for Sven     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
If he wins, even though it's Alabama, I'll be very, very surprised.
From: Eleutherophobics of the World...Unite!!!!! | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
ShyViolet
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6611

posted 13 January 2006 02:34 AM      Profile for ShyViolet     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Ditto. He seems a little too wacky...even for Alabama. And let's hope we're right.
From: ~Love is like pi: natural, irrational, and very important~ | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
HellofaSandwich
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5681

posted 13 January 2006 02:39 AM      Profile for HellofaSandwich   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Yeah, he's trailing in the polls behind the incumbent Gov. Riley. Weirdly enough, Riley's a Republican who's unpopular because he proposed a major tax increase to help pay for vital state services--it was hugely unpopular in Alabama (as Jon Stewart said, in a choice between taxes and utter decimation, Alabamans took the decimation), so everyone thought that Riley could lose either in a primary or against a Democrat like Lt. Gov. Lucy Baxley. As it is now, though, the people of Alabama have softened on Riley because they saw him as a good leader during the Hurricane Katrina crisis.

Judge Moore certainly does have some popularity, to be sure, but he's been dropping in all the polls on this race. I'd also be very, very surprised if he became governor.

HellofaSandwich
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5681

posted 13 January 2006 02:40 AM      Profile for HellofaSandwich   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
PS--This news is older than my ass. Didn't Moore jump into the race in the fall?
ShyViolet
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6611

posted 13 January 2006 02:49 AM      Profile for ShyViolet     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I'd heard about his being in the race before. Maybe though in the fall he said he'd be in the race but hadn't yet made it official? I honestly don't know; I'm just guessing.

[ 13 January 2006: Message edited by: ShyViolet ]

From: ~Love is like pi: natural, irrational, and very important~ | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Hephaestion
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4795

posted 13 January 2006 03:54 AM      Profile for Hephaestion   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post
HoaS: Gee, how old IS your ass? Is it a different age from your feet, or your head?

ShyVi: You're almost exactly right; Moore had mused about the possibility, but didn't make it official until just recently.

HellofaSandwich
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5681

posted 13 January 2006 04:27 AM      Profile for HellofaSandwich   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Well... Moore had rallies 'n shit. It's not like he was just sitting around "musing"--John Edwards was opening campaigning for President, doing all the standard campaign stuff, long before he officially declared. But yeah, I get the drift.

Heph: My ass defies time, space, and gravity.

Hephaestion
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4795

posted 13 January 2006 04:59 AM      Profile for Hephaestion   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post
LOL

So you have a timeless, multi-dimensional and remarkably buoyant ass...

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca