babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » archived babble   » USA   » Ohio: woman's mummified body left in home 2 1/2 years

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Ohio: woman's mummified body left in home 2 1/2 years
Hephaestion
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4795

posted 11 January 2006 07:32 AM      Profile for Hephaestion   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post
quote:
(Cincinnati) The mummified body of a woman who didn't want to be buried was found in a chair in front of her television set 2 1/2 years after her death, authorities said.

Johannas Pope had told her live-in caregiver that she didn't want to be buried and planned on returning after she died, Hamilton County Coroner O'Dell Owens said Monday.

Pope died in August 2003 at age 61. Her body was found last week in the upstairs of her home on a quiet street. Some family members continued to live downstairs, authorities said. No one answered the doorbell at Pope's home Monday afternoon.

It could take weeks to determine Pope's cause of death because little organ tissue was available for testing, Owens said.

An air conditioner had been left running upstairs, and that allowed the body to slowly mummify, he said. The machine apparently stopped working about a month ago, and the body began to smell.

[...]

"The caregiver is not someone you'd think was from another planet or really seems off the wall - (she's) a pretty normal kind of person," he said. "But I think out of loyalty, friendship and love of her friend, (she) decided to keep the body at home."

From: goodbye... :-( | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Yst
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 9749

posted 11 January 2006 08:14 AM      Profile for Yst     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Interesting. I was just having a discussion today with some friends about whether one's body could be expected to naturally mummify under any fairly easily achieved conditions such as these.
From: State of Genderfuck | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
beibhnn
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3178

posted 11 January 2006 10:50 AM      Profile for beibhnn     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
The article fails to mention the most important issue: was the television on and if so, which television station is favoured by formerly crazy now dead people?

I see a possible new slogan for FOX.

scooter
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5548

posted 11 January 2006 11:37 AM      Profile for scooter     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by beibhnn:
The article fails to mention the most important issue: was the television on and if so, which television station is favoured..

I assumed she was watching the comedy network. You know their slogan.
quote:
It's time well wasted

The Hegemo
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5176

posted 11 January 2006 12:08 PM      Profile for The Hegemo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
This happened a block from my erstwhile elementary school. I feel so world famous by extension.
From: The Persistent Vegetative States of America | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca