FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » archived babble   » USA   » Mouse sets home on fire

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Mouse sets home on fire
Clog-boy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 11061

posted 09 January 2006 08:37 AM      Profile for Clog-boy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Trapped mouse thrown into fire gets revenge: sets home ablaze

Mouse sets home on fire

quote:

FORT SUMNER, N.M. - A mouse got its revenge against a homeowner who tried to dispose of it in a pile of burning leaves. The blazing creature ran back to the man's house and set it on fire.

"I had some leaves burning outside, so I threw it in the fire, and the mouse was on fire and ran back at the house," Mares said from a motel room Saturday.

Village Fire Chief Juan Chavez said the burning mouse ran to just beneath a window, and the flames spread up from there and throughout the house.

"I've seen numerous house fires," village Fire Department Capt. Jim Lyssy said, "but nothing as unique as this one."

Didn't know where to post this, so it ended up here. But I just couldn't let y'all miss this...

[ETA: D'oh! Should have been in Babble Banter..! Michelle (or any of the other moderators), could you please move this thread to Banter? Thanks in advance..!]

[ 09 January 2006: Message edited by: Clog-boy ]

From: Arnhem, The Netherlands | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 09 January 2006 08:44 AM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Good. He deserves it for throwing a poor creature who isn't dead onto a fire! I hope the house burned right to the ground.

I guess I'll move it to USA, which is where we usually post general interest or political stories that happen there.

From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Clog-boy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 11061

posted 09 January 2006 08:51 AM      Profile for Clog-boy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Yeah, hadn't even thought of posting it in USA. Guess I'm still a little fuzzy in the head from last night's binge...
Anyway, thanks for straightening out my goof up!

Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 09 January 2006 08:57 AM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
That's okay, I had to think for a few minutes about where to post it as well.
From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Reality. Bites.
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6718

posted 09 January 2006 09:06 AM      Profile for Reality. Bites.        Edit/Delete Post
So if I understand this correctly, a babbler is an arsonist and no one seems to care.

http://www.rabble.ca/babble/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_profile&u=00007732

From: Gone for good | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 09 January 2006 09:33 AM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Michelle:
Good. He deserves it for throwing a poor creature who isn't dead onto a fire! I hope the house burned right to the ground.

Word.

And the guy deserves to be hanged, drawn, and quartered. This is one of the few offences for which I favour a return of capital punishment.

Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 09 January 2006 09:37 AM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Well, I wouldn't go that far. I think the mouse got a pretty good revenge anyhow, unconscious or not. It's pretty poetic, no?

Edited to say: the link to the story didn't work for me when I first read it, but now it did, and I see that:

quote:
No was hurt inside, but the home and everything in it was destroyed.

Good.

[ 09 January 2006: Message edited by: Michelle ]

skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 09 January 2006 09:54 AM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Not good enough. He would have had insurance.

I want this guy in a court. Actually, I want this guy in a dark alley.

Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 09 January 2006 09:56 AM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
He might not have. Lots of people don't have house insurance. In any case, I think losing everything you've accumulated over 81 years is probably punishment enough. No amount of insurance money can buy memories and photos and all the sentimental value stuff.
Cartman
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7440

posted 09 January 2006 10:11 AM      Profile for Cartman        Edit/Delete Post
I cannot fathom the mentality of a person who could do that to a living creature. Unfortunately, I have met a lot of people over my life who find animal cruelty to be rather easy to deal with or even funny at times. The number of cat cruelty jokes I have heard makes me ill. IME, a lot of these people are also hunters. Make of that what you will.

Seems to me that if a person can set an animal on fire, they are not that far off of doing something sick to a human being. I could care less if he lost his personal possessions, I want him removed from soceity until such time as he can be evaluated for mental fitness. People like that should be institutionalized because they are ill. After all, one good predictor for engaging in murder in adulthood is animal cruelty in youth.

From: Bring back Audra!!!!! | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Maritimesea
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 8953

posted 09 January 2006 12:09 PM      Profile for Maritimesea     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Think this takes the cake? Has anyone seen this.
RP.
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7424

posted 09 January 2006 12:47 PM      Profile for RP.     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by skdadl:
And the guy deserves to be hanged, drawn, and quartered. This is one of the few offences for which I favour a return of capital punishment.

I'm guessing you don't really advocate state sanctioned torture and murder?

From: I seem to be having tremendous difficulty with my lifestyle | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Bacchus
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4722

posted 09 January 2006 12:54 PM      Profile for Bacchus     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Crap I posted this without looking for similar posts~!

Good on the mouse! I wish he had escaped alive but I suspect he didnt

On a lighter note, Mrs Bacchus and I got to watch a playful possum on our porch last night. I even took a pick with my phone of him

skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 09 January 2006 12:59 PM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by RP.:

I'm guessing you don't really advocate state sanctioned torture and murder?

Usually, no.

In cases like this? For sadistic treatment of animals? I'm thinking about it.

RP.
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7424

posted 09 January 2006 01:06 PM      Profile for RP.     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
In cases like this? For sadistic treatment of animals? I'm thinking about it.

But not for sadisitic treatment of people, I'm guessing, and not for sadistic treatment of animals when they're used for food, clothing or testing medicine?

(this is rhetorical)

From: I seem to be having tremendous difficulty with my lifestyle | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Fartful Codger
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 9019

posted 09 January 2006 02:06 PM      Profile for Fartful Codger     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:

I want this guy in a court.

I'll see your and raise you one. If this happened in Canada, he couldn't be charged with animal cruelty because he wasn't the owner of the mouse. In other words, I could torture my neighbour's pet as long as I didn't kill it. (In which case, it's a property offence.)

Reality. Bites.
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6718

posted 09 January 2006 02:19 PM      Profile for Reality. Bites.        Edit/Delete Post
Here's more of a feel-good story from the animal kingdom. http://tinyurl.com/d9u5q

quote:
For six years, Patches the pooch has lived on his own in an abandoned house, relying on the kindness of strangers.

The springer spaniel was left behind when his family pulled up stakes and left the house in a clearing in the woods of Milner Ridge

He has two dog houses, water from an underground spring, three types of dog food that people bring him (in addition to a deer scraps from hunters), an old shack for shelter, a dense woods where he catches bush rabbits, and a community that loves him.

"If we have a steak dinner, we always leave a little meat on the bones for Patches," said Ernie Okrainec, 67, who drops off food every Sunday, and brought 12 bales of flax straw to make a bed for the dog.

Other people drop off food and water on other days. Nearby residents decorate Patches' yard at Christmas and Halloween.

People have tried to adopt him but without much success.

Okrainec said Patches, who is now about 12 years old, will leave his own legacy behind when his time comes. About a year ago, a female dog of a different breed, who lives about five kilometres down the road, had a litter of eight pups.

Every one looked like Patches.

But to the people that abandoned him
These stories rarely end happily.

From: Gone for good | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Timebandit
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1448

posted 09 January 2006 02:23 PM      Profile for Timebandit     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
IME, a lot of these people are also hunters. Make of that what you will.

I don't think that's an entirely fair statement. I'm sure there are cruel hunters out there, but that kind of blanket statement is uncalled for, especially since the topic had nothing to do with hunting.

Of all the hunters I've known -- and that would include my father, all my uncles (blood and honourary), several friends and myself -- the object is a quick, clean kill. Nobody wants to have to deal with a distressed or wounded animal.

I find throwing a living creature into a fire as repugnant as anybody else. Horrible. The house burning down was sheer poetic justice.

From: Urban prairie. | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 09 January 2006 02:25 PM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
RP, I know where sadistic murder comes from, and this is how it bleeding starts.

quote:
Originally posted by Fartful Codger:

I'll see your and raise you one. If this happened in Canada, he couldn't be charged with animal cruelty because he wasn't the owner of the mouse. In other words, I could torture my neighbour's pet as long as I didn't kill it. (In which case, it's a property offence.)

So you're with me, Fartful, I assume, in your anger against Senator Anne Cools and the exceptionally well-funded NRA-backed gun lobby, who have for - how many years now? six? seven? more? - blocked the most thoroughly revised and re-edited piece of legislation in Canadian history, that continually frustrated attempt to give judges some authority to use against the wilful, sadistic abuse of animals?

You're standing up to salute at my side, Fartful? Yay.

Mr. Magoo
guilty-pleasure
Babbler # 3469

posted 09 January 2006 02:37 PM      Profile for Mr. Magoo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
RP, I know where sadistic murder comes from, and this is how it bleeding starts.

It's true. Experts say you should watch your 81 year old child closely for signs of animal cruelty, bedwetting, or firestarting. It can indicated a propensity toward violence or cruelty later in that 81 year old's life.

From: ø¤°`°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°°¤ø, | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 09 January 2006 02:41 PM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Magoo:

It's true. Experts say you should watch your 81 year old child closely for signs of animal cruelty, bedwetting, or firestarting. It can indicated a propensity toward violence or cruelty later in that 81 year old's life.

Precisely. Guess how the old fart got this far, Mr Magoo? It's people like you who let them go on and on and on!

deBeauxOs
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10099

posted 09 January 2006 02:48 PM      Profile for deBeauxOs     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
WTFF!! I didn't realize that the Hon. Senator Cruels, the poster gal for right-wing idjots in Canada was holding up this legislature. It figures.
quote:
posted by skdadl: So you're with me, ... in your anger against Senator Anne Cools and the exceptionally well-funded NRA-backed gun lobby, who have for - how many years now? six? seven? more? - blocked the most thoroughly revised and re-edited piece of legislation in Canadian history, that continually frustrated attempt to give judges some authority to use against the wilful, sadistic abuse of animals?
Oh YES!!!

From: missing in action | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Fartful Codger
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 9019

posted 09 January 2006 02:53 PM      Profile for Fartful Codger     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:

You're standing up to salute at my side, Fartful? Yay.

The only thing worse than the state of animal cruelty laws in Canada is the lack of the political will to enforce the weak laws we have. Here in B.C., the organization that is required by statute to enforce animal cruelty laws is the BCSPCA. The BCSPCA receives about $70,000 a year from the provincial government to do cruelty investigations and is left to do bake sales, sell calendars and make animal-control deals with municipalities to fund their operations.

So yes, one prong of the attack is to continue to press for stronger animal cruelty laws, but we also need to press for the infrastructure to actually enforce the laws we have.

Mr. Magoo
guilty-pleasure
Babbler # 3469

posted 09 January 2006 02:53 PM      Profile for Mr. Magoo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Guess how the old fart got this far, Mr Magoo?

Silliness aside, my thinking is that he's not some sadist who threw the mouse in to watch it squirm so much as someone who thought he'd killed a mouse and wanted to dispose of it hygienically. The article doesn't have anything in it to even suggest he knew the mouse was still alive.

What do you do with a cockroach you've smacked? Do you check its tiny nose for breath signs? I sure don't. And while I don't think I'd be so cavalier with a mouse or any other cute furry thing, it's not hard to imagine someone for whom a mouse is just another kind of vermin and who would therefore be entirely unsentimental about one, the way I am about a roach (or a fly, or a silverfish, etc.)

I really doubt we're dealing with another Jesse Power here.

From: ø¤°`°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°°¤ø, | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
worker_drone
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4220

posted 09 January 2006 03:20 PM      Profile for worker_drone        Edit/Delete Post
Good on the mouse. That's a textbook case of poetic justice in action.

I can't really get too worked up over the mouse though, my outrage is reserved for another ongoing case right now. This is the kind of thing that makes me question my opposition to the death penalty:

Two Charged in Slaughter of Va. Family

Contrarian
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6477

posted 09 January 2006 03:32 PM      Profile for Contrarian     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
On the good news side, I heard this guy briefly on local radio Oopsadazy Rescue and Sanctuary Society at Gleichen, Ablerta. He says he started by falling in love with a pot-bellied pig at the SPCA and started rescuing them, and ended up rescuing more animals, cats, dogs, goats, alpacas, donkeys, etc. The website doesn't work on my Firefox very well, maybe would be better with Internet Explorer?
From: pretty far west | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
andrean
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 361

posted 09 January 2006 04:53 PM      Profile for andrean     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
When I read the title of this thread, the first thing that came to mind was this poem:

The Country
by Billy Collins

I wondered about you
when you told me never to leave
a box of wooden, strike-anywhere matches
lying around the house because the mice
might get into them and start a fire.
But your face was absolutely straight
when you twisted the lid down on the round tin
where the matches, you said, are always stowed.
Who could sleep that night?
Who could whisk away the thought
of the one unlikely mouse
padding along a cold water pipe
behind the floral wallpaper
gripping a single wooden match
between the needles of his teeth?
Who could not see him rounding a corner,
the blue tip scratching against a rough-hewn beam,
the sudden flare, and the creature
for one bright, shining moment
suddenly thrust ahead of his time —
now a fire-starter, now a torchbearer
in a forgotten ritual, little brown druid
illuminating some ancient night.
Who could fail to notice,
lit up in the blazing insulation,
the tiny looks of wonderment on the faces
of his fellow mice, onetime inhabitants
of what once was your house in the country?

Unfortunately, the real story is not nearly so lovely.

[ 09 January 2006: Message edited by: andrean ]

From: etobicoke-lakeshore | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Cartman
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7440

posted 10 January 2006 12:05 PM      Profile for Cartman        Edit/Delete Post
quote:
I don't think that's an entirely fair statement. I'm sure there are cruel hunters out there, but that kind of blanket statement is uncalled for, especially since the topic had nothing to do with hunting.
That is why I put in a very important qualifier (IME) Zoot. I am not saying that all hunters are sadistic, I am saying that a lot of sadistic people hunt. There is a big difference.

From: Bring back Audra!!!!! | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
happyfunball
recent-rabble-rouser
Babbler # 9501

posted 11 January 2006 12:38 AM      Profile for happyfunball     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
On a happier note, Snopes indicates that the story is not true.
kiwi_chick
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 11388

posted 11 January 2006 12:46 AM      Profile for kiwi_chick        Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by happyfunball:
On a happier note, Snopes indicates that the story is not true.

What about the guy who got his dick in a mouse trap ? Is it true ?

Albireo
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3052

posted 11 January 2006 12:51 AM      Profile for Albireo     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
That one sure sounded like it was staged.

But don't worry. I'm sure that, at least once in the whole history of humankind, somebody must have set his dick on fire and burnt down his house.

Vigilante
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 8104

posted 11 January 2006 02:28 AM      Profile for Vigilante        Edit/Delete Post
Out of curiousity are there any ethical inventions of mouse traps?
deBeauxOs
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10099

posted 11 January 2006 02:41 AM      Profile for deBeauxOs     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
posted by Vigilante: Out of curiousity are there any ethical inventions of mouse traps?
Yes, there are 'humane'-type traps that use food bait (peanut butter works best) to lure a mouse inside a plastic box. There is a spring door that is rigged to a counterbalance mecanism. Since a mouse usually gets into a building in the fall, you then release your live captive far, far away from your house, in a wooded area where it can seek alternate shelter before winter arrives.

Clog-boy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 11061

posted 11 January 2006 02:50 AM      Profile for Clog-boy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I assume you mean, are there mouse traps that don't kill or hurt the mice?
Well yes, there are lots of other mouse traps that actually trap the mice instead of hacking, slashing or squashing the little creatures. They're a lot more expensive, since they require a cage built around the trap, they're harder to manufacture, etc.
They're also quite a bit bigger and more awkward shaped than the ordinary "snappers", which narrows down the situations they can be used in.

But despite these disadvantages, I stil favour them big time... When using those "snappers", it's not like we're killing these mice out of self-defence, eh?

So: Vive la souris!!!

[ 11 January 2006: Message edited by: Clog-boy ]

deBeauxOs
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10099

posted 11 January 2006 03:24 AM      Profile for deBeauxOs     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
You can build your own humane-type trap for mice and other wild animals, using this model:

Full instructions, with more photographs, here.

beibhnn
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3178

posted 11 January 2006 12:25 PM      Profile for beibhnn     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
More on the mouse that set fire to the house.

Wind or mouse responsible?

quote:
Mares' story of a flaming mouse that scampered from a burning pile of leaves into his rural home Saturday drew international media attention. Then on Monday, the 81-year-old told an Albuquerque television station that strong wind spread burning leaves, leveling his home of more than two decades.

But on Tuesday, Mares and his nephew stood by his original version that a mouse was the culprit.

In the interview, Mares recounted three times the series of events Saturday: A little mouse got caught in one of the glue traps he'd set in and around his home. He was pleased — mice were a nuisance, they'd been bothering him for some time, leaving droppings everywhere. And they were hard to get rid of. This mouse, too, was resilient — trapped but still moving. The glue was sticky; he couldn't pull the mouse off.

So, according to Mares, he went outside and threw the whole deal — mouse and trap — onto the burning leaves. The mouse, now ablaze, scrambled to safety, then headed back for the house and disappeared inside a window. About 90 seconds later, the house was on fire.

So important note to those trying to build a better mouse trap. Warn users not to throw a trapped mouse onto a fire because the glue will melt and the mouse will run free. Similarly, with spring mouse traps, don't attempt to trigger it with your penis or anything else you wouldn't want caught in a mousetrap. Why these instructions are not included on the packaging I will never know.

Timebandit
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1448

posted 11 January 2006 01:26 PM      Profile for Timebandit     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cartman:
That is why I put in a very important qualifier (IME) Zoot. I am not saying that all hunters are sadistic, I am saying that a lot of sadistic people hunt. There is a big difference.

Not the way you put it, actually. You conflated people with sadistic tendencies to hunters quite neatly -- it wasn't the least bit ambiguous.

Aside fom qualifiers (important or otherwise ), why even bring hunting into it? It's not like the guy was after game when he tried to burn a living creature. Seemed like a pretty cheap shot to me.

[ 11 January 2006: Message edited by: Zoot ]

From: Urban prairie. | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
Blink
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 11402

posted 11 January 2006 01:49 PM      Profile for Blink     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fartful Codger:
The BCSPCA receives about $70,000 a year from the provincial government to do cruelty investigations and is left to do bake sales, sell calendars and make animal-control deals with municipalities to fund their operations.

Unfortunately, $70,000 doesn't nearly cover the BCSPCA's CEO's annual salary. Just something to keep in mind.

From: British Columbia | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
maestro
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7842

posted 11 January 2006 03:47 PM      Profile for maestro     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Amazingly long thread based on an incident that is made out of whole cloth.

Anybody ever try to set a mouse on fire? Even if you could, which would require copious quantities of an accelerant, the mouse wouldn't last long enough to run anywhere, any more than you could run anywhere if you were ablaze.

Clog-boy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 11061

posted 12 January 2006 01:32 AM      Profile for Clog-boy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by maestro:
Anybody ever try to set a mouse on fire?

You're right! Just tried to set fire to a mouse with gasoline, white-spirit and home-made napalm. None of them worked..! Should've tested it before posting such nonsense... Or maybe I should've asked the mouse to take off his asbestos suit..?

[ 12 January 2006: Message edited by: Clog-boy ]

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca