FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » archived babble   » USA   » Damn, Bush's base sure is dumb

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Damn, Bush's base sure is dumb
Transplant
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 9960

posted 30 December 2005 08:16 AM      Profile for Transplant     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Many Americans Still Believe Hussein Had Links to al Qaeda

WSJ - Sizeable minorities of Americans still believe Saddam Hussein had "strong links to al Qaeda," a Harris Interactive poll shows, though the number has fallen substantially this year.

About 22% of U.S. adults believe Mr. Hussein helped plan 9/11, the poll shows, and 26% believe Iraq had weapons of mass destruction when the U.S. invaded. Another 24% believe several of the 9/11 hijackers were Iraqis, according to the online poll of 1,961 adults.

However, all of these beliefs have declined since February of this year, when 64% of those polled believed Mr. Hussein had strong links to al Qaeda and 46% said Mr. Hussein helped plan 9/11. At that time, more than a third said Iraq had weapons of mass destruction and 44% said several of the 9/11 hijackers were Iraqis.

Currently, 56% of adults believe Iraqis are better off now than they were under Mr. Hussein, down from 76% in February. Nearly half of those polled say they believe Iraq, under Mr. Hussein, was a threat to U.S. security, down from 61% in February. ...

From: Free North America | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Hephaestion
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4795

posted 30 December 2005 08:21 AM      Profile for Hephaestion   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Damn, Bush's base sure is dumb

In other news: water is still wet...

From: goodbye... :-( | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Fidel
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5594

posted 30 December 2005 11:21 AM      Profile for Fidel     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Ya, we're still waiting for the confetti parades down Main Street Baghdad and soldiers tossing Hershey bars into crowds of adoring onlookers. Maybe some rose petals for effect ?.

The Bozos still don't realize it was about the oil - megadeath and destruction for oil as usual with these psychopaths.

From: Viva La Revolución | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Kevin_Laddle
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 8163

posted 30 December 2005 11:41 AM      Profile for Kevin_Laddle   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hephaestion:

In other news: water is still wet...

Porcupines also have quills.

From: ISRAEL IS A TERRORIST STATE. ASK THE FAMILIES OF THE QANA MASSACRE VICTIMS. | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Cougyr
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3336

posted 30 December 2005 11:44 AM      Profile for Cougyr     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
And how many still believe that Elvis is alive?
From: over the mountain | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Yukoner
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5787

posted 30 December 2005 12:47 PM      Profile for Yukoner   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Speaking of Bush.....This bit is pretty funny. Safe for work, speakers and highspeed required.
From: Um, The Yukon. | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Abdul_Maria
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 11105

posted 30 December 2005 02:09 PM      Profile for Abdul_Maria     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
when i lived in so cal i had numerous opportunities to interact with bu$h supporters.

worked with them, shared the weight room & gym & sauna with them, lived with them (my stepfather is a Republican), smoked pot with them (old engineer friend that married the daughter of a Texas banker).

my observation is not so much that they were dumb, but that they were for-whatever-interesting-reason, not pre-disposed to use their minds (and hearts) (and eyes) when looking at the world around them.

some favorite lines & vignettes from life among Republicans ...

* "Duke" cunningham came to my place of work one lunch-time. i missed most of it, i think i caught the very end when i came back from the gym.

apparently, what i missed was a long, stern 5 minute lecture on ... prostate cancer. from the Dukester. this would have been WHILE he was doing all the things for which he is currently in hot water.

* sitting in the sauna, listening to one of the fairly senior manager folks kvetch about how "communist" the LA times is. folks, the LA times is very main stream media-ish.

* out to lunch with some co-workers, when the subject of crossing a picket line came up. thinking of the cute checkout woman with the teeth braces at my own local grocery, i of course supported the strike, in the form of not crossing the picket line. "i didn't think guys like you worked here" said one of my co-workers ... he explained that he made it a point to cross the picket line.

* "there are pros and cons to everything", response of a local real estate agent, an evang. xtian who actually goes to repug. party meetings ... speaking about the Iraq war, a woman i shared the weight room with.

anyway, i could go on. let's just say i didn't have to go to texas to understand Bu$h's base.

Stargazer
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6061

posted 30 December 2005 03:34 PM      Profile for Stargazer     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Wow, Abdul_Maria, I don't know how you could have stomached that. In less than 2 minutes I'd have been kicked to the curb for my intolerance of their tolerance.
From: Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist. | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Transplant
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 9960

posted 31 December 2005 12:42 AM      Profile for Transplant     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Abdul_Maria:
my observation is not so much that they were dumb, but that they were for-whatever-interesting-reason, not pre-disposed to use their minds (and hearts) (and eyes) when looking at the world around them.

Ahhh, isn't that sort of the definition of dumb?

Ghost of the Navigator
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 11029

posted 31 December 2005 02:52 AM      Profile for Ghost of the Navigator        Edit/Delete Post
In other news, Bolivia's indigenous people still support Evo Morales.
maestro
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7842

posted 31 December 2005 05:57 AM      Profile for maestro     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Transplant:

Ahhh, isn't that sort of the definition of dumb?

There's dumb, and there's willful ignorance. I suspect the problem is mostly willful ignorance. The reason I suspect this is I doubt that many people could be that dumb.

Most people want to avoid 'bad'. I don't blame them, I do too. However, at some point you have to realize that avoiding 'bad' now, may be leading to a much bigger 'bad' later.

Stargazer
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6061

posted 31 December 2005 08:08 AM      Profile for Stargazer     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
My friend, who was a staunch Bush supporter, and has since seen the light (yeah!), called himself, "intellectually lazy". That about sums it up IMO for the vast majority who can't see or won't see what the Bush admin is doing to their own country and the lives of the people the world over.

I used to feel sorry for them. Not anymore. At some point people who don't vote, or don't take the time to really look around them, well, there is just no excuse for such a lack of social responsibility IMHO.

From: Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist. | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Américain Égalitaire
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7911

posted 31 December 2005 11:04 AM      Profile for Américain Égalitaire   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stargazer:
My friend, who was a staunch Bush supporter, and has since seen the light (yeah!), called himself, "intellectually lazy". That about sums it up IMO for the vast majority who can't see or won't see what the Bush admin is doing to their own country and the lives of the people the world over.

I used to feel sorry for them. Not anymore. At some point people who don't vote, or don't take the time to really look around them, well, there is just no excuse for such a lack of social responsibility IMHO.

Yeah, there's intellectually lazy to be sure. But there's the wilfull ignorance and that is part of it to be sure. But there's a darker side to the American psyche. A lot of people down here, although they may not say it out loud, love what Bush has done with the war. They know its for oil and that's fine with them. They love the fact that the whole 60s "hippie" ideal has been smashed to atoms by Reagan-Bush-Bush and now things will be "set right" again. A lot of Americans have never been fond of democracy or civil rights/liberties, mostly because the "undeserving" get them along with everyone else. A lot of it, of course, has to do with the racism that always lies just below the surface in American life.

But we have a new dynamic we didn't have years ago - the dominionist rising in the US which wishes to use the power of the state to create a new Jerusalem in the USA.

Put it all together and its a bad, bad mix. A lot of people know what's going on but secretly they support it. As long as they're kind (the white middle class Christian conservative) is ultimately taken care of). What they don't realise is economically, they are being slowly exterminated. But they THINK these guys in DC are on their side. Its the biggest psychological operations project I've ever seen.

I think lot of people who take these surveys also lie on purpose - if they can keep the numbers up that show people believe Saddam had something to do with 9-11, I think they believe it supports the Bush view of the war. Whether its right or wrong, it doesn't matter - anything that supports the administration is good and proper. After all, I've lately seen letters to the editor of the Des Moines Register saying propaganda in support of the war effort is a good thing and we shouldn't shy from it.

Lies are good. Truth is evil. This is America 2006.

From: Chardon, Ohio USA | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Abdul_Maria
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 11105

posted 31 December 2005 12:42 PM      Profile for Abdul_Maria     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
i think racism has a lot to do with bu$h supporters' allergy to social welfare programs.

in 2005 i stayed with my mother & stepfather for about 6 months after i sold my condo.

they came home one night after dinner with one of my mom's divorced lady friends. so it's the 2 older women & my stepfather. i don't know what they had been talking about, or if he had been drinking. but he got into what i think was an "old joke" about "3 kinds of black people" that included use of the N word.

another time he told me what his beef is with social welfare programs - he doesn't like paying for poor folks to do the wild thing & make babies.

again, i wouldn't say he's dumb.

i would say he doesn't like black people, and he supports the government that kills Iraqi civilians.

by observation, i would say that bu$h's base is racist, in the sense that they work actively to cancel social welfare programs that cost relatively little (compared to the US military).

there was an article this morning about bu$h supporters being a cult, or having many of the attributes of a cult.

after being surrounded by mostly conservative republican christians for 8+ years, i would have to agree.

AS LONG AS YOU GO WITH THE HERD, in such a crowd, you're safe. express a divergent or dissonant viewpoint, and you are highly suspect.

the other thing, which i really don't understand, is how much money people really need.

most of the republicans i know are "set for life". but it's still ... not enough. they need ... tax cuts. what is that called - greed ?

to tell you the truth, i think peer pressure & the need for Simplicity & Serenity enter into the equation.

whether it's supporting a bad management decision (where all the senior engineers privately agree that it's a bad decision), or agreeing with the pastor when he says that our #1 job is to "love God", there's a huge motivation to "follow the herd" - even if that means following a leader off a cliff, or ignoring the facts in front of your own eyes.

for example ... that moment in the movie "the Matrix" when the guy says, "ignorance is bliss", when he's in the restaurant eating a juicy steak and enjoying a glass of red wine with Agent Smith.

Jacob Two-Two
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2092

posted 31 December 2005 05:21 PM      Profile for Jacob Two-Two     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Yeah, that's it in nutshell. Not stupidity but willful ignorance.
From: There is but one Gord and Moolah is his profit | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Cougyr
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3336

posted 31 December 2005 09:14 PM      Profile for Cougyr     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jacob Two-Two:
Yeah, that's it in nutshell. Not stupidity but willful ignorance.

Often, it's more than willful, it's belligerent as well.

From: over the mountain | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
rinne
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 9117

posted 31 December 2005 09:27 PM      Profile for rinne     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Yes, my thinking too.
Abdul_Maria
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 11105

posted 31 December 2005 10:33 PM      Profile for Abdul_Maria     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
if it was just the crazy guy next door who collects dishwashers or something, it wouldn't be a problem.

the problem is, this bu$h base supports a group of madmen with a huge nasty army and a demonstrated willingness to spread radioactive waste all over the mid-east. (referring to their distribution of many tons of depleted uranium in iraq, afghanistan.)

usually, in the history of civilization, when one country practices such a "bad neighbor" policy, it has been considered moral to stop them - to throw a wrench in their works.

unfortunately but clearly, the non-violent methods used so far have not been sufficient to stop the American military juggernaut. during Vietnam, and now, during the Iraq war/ drive by shooting.

i think it's important to be honest about these things, even if we don't have a clear idea of how to stop The Bu$hites.

Sandy47
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10648

posted 01 January 2006 04:42 PM      Profile for Sandy47     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fidel:
Ya, we're still waiting for the confetti parades down Main Street Baghdad and soldiers tossing Hershey bars into crowds of adoring onlookers. Maybe some rose petals for effect ?

The parades and flowers will be put on hold whilst these occurences remain a regular feature of Iraqi life(?).

While the rest of the foot traffic on one of Ramadi's busy side streets kept moving, he hovered around his car, talking incessantly on a cell phone. A convoy was due to pass through the city that afternoon. Maybe he knew that, maybe he didn't.

Three young men from Pennsylvania knew it, and from a vantage point several hundred meters away, were monitoring the strange man's every
move. As he dialed the phone for the umpteenth time, the decision was made.

He had to die.

It only took one shot. The man never knew what hit him.

thiswasalongerurl.edit

From: Southwest of Niagara - 43.0° N 81.2° W | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Abdul_Maria
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 11105

posted 01 January 2006 06:22 PM      Profile for Abdul_Maria     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
good article.

"I thought sniping would be cool," one half of america's foreign policy, in a nutshell.

yes it is a long URL

http://www.dailyitem.com/archive/2005/1211/local/stories/04local.htm

Transplant
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 9960

posted 01 January 2006 11:10 PM      Profile for Transplant     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sandy47:
He had to die. It only took one shot. The man never knew what hit him.

And we are not even told if the man turned out to be a real threat or not.

Yep, just like a video game alright.

Sandy47
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10648

posted 02 January 2006 01:57 PM      Profile for Sandy47     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Part II... A Close Look at The Enemy.
From: Southwest of Niagara - 43.0° N 81.2° W | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ghost of the Navigator
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 11029

posted 02 January 2006 03:02 PM      Profile for Ghost of the Navigator        Edit/Delete Post
Of course they're idiots: They're non-libertarian right-wingers.

The libertarian ones are wrong about quite a few things but are not necessarily dumb.

beluga2
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3838

posted 02 January 2006 04:00 PM      Profile for beluga2     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
And we are not even told if the man turned out to be a real threat or not.

That's what I found astounding. To me, this article itself is as chilling an insight into the modern American mindset as the behaviour of the snipers themselves. The casual murder of an Iraqi citizen is presented as a mere tossed-off lead-in to the real story, which is the perceptions, feelings and experiences of those Good American Boys, their "bond of brotherhood" and such rot.

I suspect such stories must have been prevalent in the small-town British press a hundred years ago, describing the bravery of local boys as they shouldered White Man's Burden overseas and brought Civilization to the backwards corners of the world. The natives they bumped off in the process without a second thought? Mere props in a play in which the agents of Albion had the starring roles.

Imperialism truly corrodes the human soul.

From: vancouvergrad, BCSSR | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Abdul_Maria
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 11105

posted 02 January 2006 04:17 PM      Profile for Abdul_Maria     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
this is why i compare the american move into iraq with the nazi move into poland.

it's hard to be less neighborly than nazi germany, but i think the americans in iraq are giving it a go.

hitler didn't spread depleted uranium all over poland.

admittedly, hitler did have prescott bush financing him through 1942.

hopefully in 2006 the World will wake up to the un-wisdom of loaning money to the bu$h-cheney regime.

sidra
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 11490

posted 20 January 2006 02:00 PM      Profile for sidra   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I think that the problem with Bush's base is a mix of ignorance and good ol' no-boundaries capitalistic individualism.

Ignorance on the part of those who -for example- swallow the line that if we do not go there (check: Vietnam, Iraq, Korea, Afghanistan..) they will come here.

Individualism: My life is good, who cares about others (domestically or internationally).

Alan Avans
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7663

posted 20 January 2006 07:30 PM      Profile for Alan Avans   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cougyr:
And how many still believe that Elvis is alive?

Elvis is everywhere man, Elvis is everything.

From: Christian Democratic Union of USAmerica | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Diane Demorney
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6183

posted 20 January 2006 07:31 PM      Profile for Diane Demorney   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alan Avans:
Elvis is everywhere man, Elvis is everything.

Elvis is in your cheeseburgers.

'lance
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1064

posted 20 January 2006 07:32 PM      Profile for 'lance     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Cheeseburgers, hell.

He built the Pyramids!

From: that enchanted place on the top of the Forest | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Diane Demorney
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6183

posted 20 January 2006 07:33 PM      Profile for Diane Demorney   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by 'lance:
Cheeseburgers, hell.

He built the Pyramids!

And Stonehenge!

'lance
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1064

posted 20 January 2006 07:35 PM      Profile for 'lance     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
He is, proverbially, everywhere.

(Note: I think ol' Mojo was a bit hard on Michael J. Fox in that song.

On the other hand, it's understood that neither George W. Bush, nor Stephen Harper have any Elvis in them).

From: that enchanted place on the top of the Forest | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alan Avans
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7663

posted 20 January 2006 07:36 PM      Profile for Alan Avans   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Abdul_Maria:
this is why i compare the american move into iraq with the nazi move into poland.

it's hard to be less neighborly than nazi germany, but i think the americans in iraq are giving it a go.

hitler didn't spread depleted uranium all over poland.

[not to minimize the stupidity of the Iraq War..but]

You're kidding, right?

[/not to minimize the stupidity of the Iraq War..but]

From: Christian Democratic Union of USAmerica | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Alan Avans
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7663

posted 20 January 2006 07:39 PM      Profile for Alan Avans   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by 'lance:
Cheeseburgers, hell.

Hell no. Cheeseburgers in Paradise.

Stargazer
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6061

posted 20 January 2006 07:47 PM      Profile for Stargazer     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
It's no loner acceptable to say 'Cheeseburgers'. From now on they are Homeland Burgers.
Sandy47
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10648

posted 21 January 2006 01:04 PM      Profile for Sandy47     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alan Avans:

[not to minimize the stupidity of the Iraq War..but]

You're kidding, right?

[/not to minimize the stupidity of the Iraq War..but]

It has validity I think. There are many comparative examples. Earlier in this thread for instance. Or Iraqi journalist seized while sleeping

[ 21 January 2006: Message edited by: Sandy47 ]

Abdul_Maria
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 11105

posted 22 January 2006 11:07 AM      Profile for Abdul_Maria     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
don't take my word for it.

count the bodies.

one point on the curve - the Iran-Iraq War. part of the US' Cold War strategy - playing Iran & Iraq off against each other. with S. Hussein as our designated bad guy. and the infamous photo of the Rumsfeld-Hussein handshake, in 1983.

contemplate journalist Robert Fisk estimate - 3500 Iraqi civilian casualties per month. war started in march 03. 34 months. 100K+ civilian casualties.

and millions of tons of depleted uranium, waste product from american nuclear plants, spread all over the country.

what America has done in Iraq - since 03 - is comparable or worse than what Hitler wrought in Poland.

BOOK - "For those I Loved", by Martin Gray. he was about 15 when his family got quarantined in Warsaw by the Nazi's. a very resourceful, intelligent person, he set up supply lines, bribing nazi troops, bringing tons of rice and other food into the concentration camps. he survived the German concentration camps, including by hiding in the waste tanks in the outhouse. his family did not survive. he moved to New York City, which was a cakewalk after what he went through. he worked in sales 5-10 years, became wealthy enough, met his wife. moved to the country in France. lost his new family in a wildfire in the French countryside. wrote his book.

and what the United States has done in Iraq is comparable to, or worse than, what Hitler did to Poland.

any questions ? don't take my word for it. go count the bodies yourself.

how many Polish Jews did the nazi's kill ?

there's really not much point in looking it up.

it's history.

unless you're into Holocaust Denial, you will admit that American actions in Iraq are comparable to Hitler's actions in Poland. except that America has a lot more high-tech weapons and radioactive waste.

People of the World, please stop buying American products, please stop buying American T-bills.

People of the World, please stop selling your energy to the American military juggernaut.

Please stop funding the American military juggernaut.

i am an American design engineer. i am beyond disgusted by what America is doing.

i believed all that stuff about motherhood and apple pie, that they teach us in american public schools. then i realized that too many of the "adults" in my own country do not practice what they preach, and do not have the guts to tell the truth about it.

and what is America's "Department of Homeland Security" MOST scared of ? history books.

http://www.tarpley.net/bushb.htm

"bush property seized - trading with the enemy"

http://www.fromthewilderness.com/

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca