babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » archived babble   » USA   » Utah: The Consequences of Scorched-Earth Homophobia

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Utah: The Consequences of Scorched-Earth Homophobia
Crippled_Newsie
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7024

posted 25 December 2005 09:19 AM      Profile for Crippled_Newsie     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
A Utah state legislator is trying once again to ban Gay/Str8 Allliances in public schools, oblivous to the mistakes of the past.

Salt Lake Tribune:

quote:
East High School had a number of students with Down syndrome and other types of mental, physical and learning challenges in the mid-1990s, when the Salt Lake City Board of Education banned all non-curriculum-related clubs in its high schools.

To prevent gay students from meeting in a school-sanctioned environment, the board adopted a scorched-earth policy with the unintended consequence of depriving special-needs students of the full benefits of a public education that was afforded them by the federal Individuals with Disabilities Education Act.

Under that law, each special-needs student has an Individual Education Plan, put together by the student's parents and school counselors. The plan, for many students, included getting them involved in school clubs so they could develop social skills. Students with Down syndrome had little opportunity to mingle with other students in a social environment, so involvement in school clubs was the way to help them receive a full high school experience.

But the school board feared the gay club so much that it banned all other students from participating in non-curriculum clubs, and the special-needs students were shut out of a critical part of their educational development.

That story is relevant today because Sen. Chris Buttars, R- West Jordan, is introducing a bill for the upcoming legislative session that would ban gay clubs from high schools in Utah.

It is yet another example of Utah lawmakers being so narrowly focused on their own moral agendas that they are oblivious to the social and financial implications of their actions.

From: It's all about the thumpa thumpa. | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ghost of the Navigator
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 11029

posted 25 December 2005 10:45 AM      Profile for Ghost of the Navigator        Edit/Delete Post
Every day, Utah proves to me that praying to Mormo will not make me as smart as Ken Jennings.

[ 25 December 2005: Message edited by: Ghost of the Navigator ]

El_ka'bash
recent-rabble-rouser
Babbler # 11631

posted 08 January 2006 05:00 PM      Profile for El_ka'bash        Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tape_342:
A Utah state legislator is trying once again to ban Gay/Str8 Allliances in public schools, oblivous to the mistakes of the past.

Quoting Salt Lake Tribune:

That story is relevant today because Sen. Chris Buttars, R- West Jordan, is introducing a bill for the upcoming legislative session that would ban gay clubs from high schools in Utah.

It is yet another example of Utah lawmakers being so narrowly focused on their own moral agendas that they are oblivious to the social and financial implications of their actions.

Salt Lake Tribune:

Isn't that better than no values at all? I mean, high schoolers are not adults. Isn't it better to channel them into constructive activities rather than activities that contravene nature and human anatomy, and can be fatal?

Sandy47
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10648

posted 08 January 2006 06:10 PM      Profile for Sandy47     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by El_ka'bash:

Isn't that better than no values at all? I mean, high schoolers are not adults. Isn't it better to channel them into constructive activities rather than activities that contravene nature and human anatomy, and can be fatal?

What, like football? Japanese game shows?

From: Southwest of Niagara - 43.0° N 81.2° W | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Reality. Bites.
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6718

posted 08 January 2006 06:19 PM      Profile for Reality. Bites.        Edit/Delete Post
El_ka'bash won't be able to answer you, alas. He's gone to a better place.
From: Gone for good | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Andy (Andrew)
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10884

posted 08 January 2006 06:58 PM      Profile for Andy (Andrew)   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
El_ka'bash, this is about values. It's about valuing different people and waking up and paying attention to how miserable HS is for those of us who are different.

If people like you were genuinely concerned about the well being of gay youth you'd care about suicide rates which are a bigger concern than the "anatomical contraventions" you moan on about.

DavisMavis
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7508

posted 08 January 2006 08:27 PM      Profile for DavisMavis     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Andy (Andrew):
El_ka'bash, this is about values. It's about valuing different people and waking up and paying attention to how miserable HS is for those of us who are different.

If people like you were genuinely concerned about the well being of gay youth you'd care about suicide rates which are a bigger concern than the "anatomical contraventions" you moan on about.

People like El ka'bash probably would care about suicide rates, but they'd use it to point out that obviously homosexuality causes depression and suicide . Needless to say these people seem to miss the fact that trying to survive the brutal high school environment as a LGBT person is enough to drive one to the edge... I'm absolutely ashamed to say that the high school I attended about 4 years ago is still a cesspool of homophobia and bigotry. Learning to accept and love people as they are could certainly do a great many people a lot of good.

From: the occupied territory of nova scotia | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Alan Avans
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7663

posted 09 January 2006 12:50 PM      Profile for Alan Avans   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ghost of the Navigator:
Every day, Utah proves to me that praying to Mormo will not make me as smart as Ken Jennings.

[ 25 December 2005: Message edited by: Ghost of the Navigator ]

[sarcasm]Never heard of Ken Jennings.

Fetch, who the h*ck is Mormo? Is Mormo any relation to 'Satch?

Oh fetchin' well. Whoever Mormo is, I've never heard anybody in Utah pray to it. Utahans tend to be a bunch of Latter-day Saints and Roman Catholics...both of whom pray to Jesus, if I recollect rightly. Of course, the RCs pray to Mary and lots of other sainted souls as well.

Alas, even though the Latter-day Saints in Utah tend to believe in a 'heavenly mother'...they aren't allowed to pray to her. So it looks like them LDS folk are stickin' to prayin' to Jesus.[/sarcasm]

[ 09 January 2006: Message edited by: Alan Avans ]

From: Christian Democratic Union of USAmerica | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Naturefreak
recent-rabble-rouser
Babbler # 11678

posted 11 January 2006 11:17 AM      Profile for Naturefreak        Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Andy (Andrew):

And in your view, different orientations are all equal, or "gayness" is preferable as a "pride" issue. Time to stop politicizing and pandering to vocal "gay activists" and consider what made this country work for a long time. Gay activity does not produce people. We're busy importing people from the world's armpit to fill our declining population while popularizing and romanticizing activity that does nothing to encourage procreation, and is itself deadly. I am the last person to want to see young people commit suicide. I do not demonize gay people. I just don't romanticize gayness.

quote:
Originally posted by RealityBites:
El_ka'bash won't be able to answer you, alas. He's gone to a better place.

Apparently, people like you are quite scared of dissenting opinions.

voice of the damned
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6943

posted 11 January 2006 11:29 AM      Profile for voice of the damned     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Sheesh, how fun can it really be, going to a message board and posting things that you know will get you banned? Whatever turns yer crank, I guess.

Anyway, back to one of the more interesting discussions on this thread:

quote:
quote:

Fetch, who the h*ck is Mormo? Is Mormo any relation to 'Satch?

Mormon is a prophet mentioned in the Book Of Mormon(which of course bears his name). He is the father of Moroni, who became an angel and gave Joseph Smith the tablets. According to the Mormons, anyway.

Hephaestion
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4795

posted 11 January 2006 11:33 AM      Profile for Hephaestion   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post
Has someone written to Michelle about this scumbag yet?

quote:
And in your view, different orientations are all equal, or "gayness" is preferable as a "pride" issue. Time to stop politicizing and pandering to vocal "gay activists" and consider what made this country work for a long time. Gay activity does not produce people. We're busy importing people from the world's armpit to fill our declining population while popularizing and romanticizing activity that does nothing to encourage procreation, and is itself deadly. I am the last person to want to see young people commit suicide. I do not demonize gay people. I just don't romanticize gayness.

From: goodbye... :-( | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 11 January 2006 11:34 AM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Gay activity does not produce people. We're busy importing people from the world's armpit to fill our declining population while popularizing and romanticizing activity that does nothing to encourage procreation, and is itself deadly.

Just savin' the evidence. Move along folks. Nothing to see here.

fern hill
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3582

posted 11 January 2006 11:38 AM      Profile for fern hill        Edit/Delete Post
Well, hush my mouth. In another thread, I just said we seem to be getting a better class of troll this election. Sorry, I may have brought this on us. . . *mutter, same old stupid shit, mutter*
Alan Avans
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7663

posted 13 January 2006 02:04 PM      Profile for Alan Avans   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by voice of the damned:
Sheesh, how fun can it really be, going to a message board and posting things that you know will get you banned? Whatever turns yer crank, I guess.

Anyway, back to one of the more interesting discussions on this thread:

Mormon is a prophet mentioned in the Book Of Mormon(which of course bears his name). He is the father of Moroni, who became an angel and gave Joseph Smith the tablets. According to the Mormons, anyway.

Mormo...Mormon...hmmm....

Anyhow, 'Satch is the BYU Cougar's adorable mascot. But he's not in the Book of Mormon. And neither is Mormo.

I've read the Book of Mormon. Mormon wrote that the Book of Mormon was compiled for the purpose of "...convincing of the Jew and Gentile that Jesus is the Christ, the Eternal God, manifesting Himself unto all nations." There is no mention of praying to no fetchin' Mormo.

On an even lighter note, Moroni is the angel in the Broadway play/movie "Angels in America" that appears to a man dieing of AIDS in order to call him to be a prophet. I thought that was kind of kool.

It's too bad that gays and lesbians aren't as accepted within Mormon culture as they used to be up to the 1950s.

GALA

[ 13 January 2006: Message edited by: Alan Avans ]

From: Christian Democratic Union of USAmerica | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca