babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » archived babble   » USA   » Texas leads the United States in hunger

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Texas leads the United States in hunger
Hephaestion
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4795

posted 29 October 2005 06:34 AM      Profile for Hephaestion   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post
quote:
(Austin) A higher percentage of Texas households were at risk of going hungry over the last three years than in any other state, said data released Friday by the U.S. Agriculture Department.

Between 2002 and 2004, more than 16 per cent of Texas households at some point had trouble providing enough food for all their family members, the USDA report said.

In nearly five per cent of Texas households, at least one family member actually went hungry at least one time during that period because the household couldn't afford enough food. That's the fourth-highest rate in the country.

[...]

The latest national figures were higher than in the previous three-year period. Between 1999 and 2001, an average of 10.4 per cent of households were at risk for hunger and an average of 3.1 per cent of households experienced hunger.

[ 29 October 2005: Message edited by: Hephaestion ]

From: goodbye... :-( | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Stargazer
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6061

posted 29 October 2005 12:18 PM      Profile for Stargazer     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Surely Heph you can't be insinuating that Bush is not a compassionate conservative!?

From: Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist. | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Yst
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 9749

posted 29 October 2005 01:57 PM      Profile for Yst     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
In a related story,

U.S. senators -- who draw salaries of $162,100 a year and enjoy a raft of perks -- have rejected a minimum wage hike from $5.15 an hour to $6.25 for blue-collar workers.

To quote one poster on Fark.com,

quote:

Come on guys, you're not going to compete with China if you pay people enough to eat now are you?

From: State of Genderfuck | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
mary123
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6125

posted 30 October 2005 12:38 AM      Profile for mary123     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
"Compassionate Conservatism"
George Bush was spending some time at his ranch in Crawford, Texas. One afternoon, he was riding in the back of his official limousine when he saw two men eating grass by the roadside. He ordered his driver to stop and he got out to investigate. "Why are you eating grass?" he asked one man..

"We don't have any money for food," the poor man replied.

"Oh, well, you can come with me to my ranch," instructed the president.

"But, sir, I have a wife and two children with me!"

"Bring them along!" replied the president. He turned to the other man and said "You come with us, too".

"But, sir, I have a wife and six children!" the second man answered.

"Bring them as well," answered Bush as he headed for his limo. They all climbed in, which was no easy task, even for a car as large as the limousine.

Once underway, one of the poor fellows said, "Sir, you are too kind. Thank you for taking all of us with you."

Bush replied, "Glad to do it. You'll love my place... the grass is almost a foot tall!"

[ 30 October 2005: Message edited by: mary123 ]

From: ~~Canada - still God's greatest creation on the face of the earth~~ | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
mary123
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6125

posted 30 October 2005 12:38 AM      Profile for mary123     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
You always hurt the ones you love.
From: ~~Canada - still God's greatest creation on the face of the earth~~ | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
lagatta
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2534

posted 30 October 2005 05:59 AM      Profile for lagatta     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Leads the US in hunger, and in poverty-related obesity- another form of malnutrition, with particularly disastrous consequences among largely Aboriginal Mexican-Americans.
From: Se non ora, quando? | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca