FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » archived babble   » USA   » Births to unmarried women hit record

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Births to unmarried women hit record
knuckles
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 8176

posted 28 October 2005 08:31 PM      Profile for knuckles     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Quick, ban gay marriage!

quote:
WASHINGTON — A record number of babies — nearly 1.5 million — were born to unmarried women in the U.S. last year. And those moms were more likely to be 20-somethings than teenagers, according to new federal data released Friday.
"This is not a teenage issue," says Stephanie Ventura,. a demographer with the National Center for Health Statistics. "Women in their 20s are accounting for a huge percentage of these births."

The data show that 35.7% of all births were to unmarried women. Births last year to both married and unwed mothers totalled more than 4 million.

By age group, almost 55% of the births for mothers ages 20-24 were to unmarried women. For those between 25-29, almost 28% of the births were to single women.

Teenagers, who accounted for 50% of unwed births in 1970, accounted for 24% of unwed births in 2004.

Sarah Brown, director of the National Campaign to Prevent Teen Pregnancy, says she's thrilled about the decline in teenage mothers, but she worries about the trend for those ages 20 and above.

"It's not going in the right direction," she says. "The right direction would be non-marital childbearing in all groups to be going down."

Instead, the numbers of unwed births has increased slightly each year since 1990. But Ventura says "a steep increase in a short period" — the last two years — "caught our attention."

Between 2002 and 2004, births among unmarried women ages 25-29 jumped more than 14%. It rose about 7% among the 20-24 age group over the same period.

"There's been a sea change in terms of expectations around marriage and babies," says Dorian Solot, co-founder of the Alternatives to Marriage Project, an advocacy organization for the unmarried.

Solot says unmarried mothers present very different scenarios for their children, depending upon whether they are the single, professional parent-by-choice, a cohabiting couple, or a poor woman living alone.

kellis
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 8387

posted 28 October 2005 10:53 PM      Profile for kellis   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Teenagers, who accounted for 50% of unwed births in 1970, accounted for 24% of unwed births in 2004.

I don't see any data in this article that proves teen pregnancies are declining...just the % of unwed pregnancies. Fewer people are getting married and more people in all age groups are having kids out of wedlock, so obviously teens would make up a lower % of unwed mothers than 35 years ago.

So it was 50% in 1970 and now it is 24% of 1.4M (336,000) in 2005. But if there were fewer than 672,000 unwed pregnancies in 1970 (which I will assume there were) then teen pregs have actually increased. I hate when articles focus on percentages...it is so misleading.

The only relevant information in that article is that unwed pregnancies are on the rise.

From: la la land most of the time | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
knuckles
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 8176

posted 28 October 2005 11:09 PM      Profile for knuckles     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
USA Today's article left that out. Here's the rest from AP...

link

quote:
The birth rate for women aged 15 to 19 was 41.2 per 1,000, down from 41.6 in 2003 and a record low. The teen birth rate was 61.8 in 1991 and has been declining since.

faith
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4348

posted 29 October 2005 01:20 AM      Profile for faith     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I think a decrease in teen pregnancies is a positive development , as I don't believe most teens are ready to be parents,but I don't get the alarm over a 24 year old giving birth out of wedlock. Isn't it her choice?
I think that another statistic that would be useful would be the number of unplanned pregnancies in the '70's that prompted a quick marriage just so the baby would not be born to a single woman. IOW if women are getting pregnant and giving birth while remaining single when they are old enough to know how to prevent it, then I would say it is a conscious decision to avoid marriage.
The article points out that common law relationships were not considered which is a huge area to neglect when doing this kind of study.
I have read that as many as 60% of relationships in Quebec (arguably one of Canada's most religious provinces) are now common law. A Quebec woman was asked why this was happening and she felt it was because people had had enough of overbearing religious influence in their lives.
I realise this is pure speculation but could a similar backlash to Xian influence be happening south of the border?

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca