babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » archived babble   » USA   » Some headlines from Miami Herald that caught my eye

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Some headlines from Miami Herald that caught my eye
Jughead
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5547

posted 05 November 2004 11:36 PM      Profile for Jughead     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
This is in the vane of the American election, political atmosphere, etc, so I dumped it in politics. Moderators, please use your discretion to place it in a different folder, to change the thread title, the content, etc, as you see fit. I thank you for taking the time to bestow your judgement on my trifling ideas.

Election shows citizens political slant
This week's Republican sweep of the White House and Congress confirmed an essential truth about American politics: The United States is a moderate to conservative country.

U.S. unsure if arrests foiled terror plots
U.S. officials aren't sure whether the arrests of more than 700 people over the last few months actually prevented any terror plots.
More than 700 people were arrested on immigration violations and thousands more subjected to FBI interviews in an intense government effort to avert a terrorist attack aimed at disrupting the election.

Pentagon says camp prisoners not `mistreated'
The Pentagon released details of eight cases of detainee abuse at the Guantánamo terror prison, ranging from the petty to the bizarre.
GUANTANAMO BAY NAVY BASE, Cuba -- How badly have guards behaved at this detention and interrogation center for terror suspects? In answer to a weeks-old query, the Pentagon has released details of eight confirmed abuse cases -- a female soldier took off her blouse, exposing her T-shirt during an interrogation, climbed onto the lap of a prisoner and rustled his hair; a medical team found a prisoner's knees bruised from a now forbidden interrogation technique.

Number of enrolling foreign grad students declines
A new survey indicates the number of foreign graduate students enrolling for the first time at American universities is down 6 percent this year -- the third straight decline after a decade of growth. Educators worry the trend is eroding America's position as the world's leader in higher education.

F-16 pilot shoots up elementary school
A National Guard F-16 fighter jet on a nighttime training mission strafed an elementary school with 25 rounds of ammunition, authorities said Thursday. No one was injured.

[ 05 November 2004: Message edited by: Jughead ]

Jughead
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5547

posted 05 November 2004 11:38 PM      Profile for Jughead     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
As a counterpoint, Buzzflash has a nice link to an article on Fascism

Fascism, anyone?

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca