babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » archived babble   » USA   » Bush Re-elected: How's the world going to end? Place your bets...

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Bush Re-elected: How's the world going to end? Place your bets...
Royal Tenenbaum
recent-rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7246

posted 05 November 2004 01:45 AM      Profile for Royal Tenenbaum        Edit/Delete Post
Well, I always thought I'd see the crumbling of the American empire in my lifetime, but I was really hoping I'd get to grow old first...oh well.

I think we are headed for a religious 'battle-royale' between the Evangelical Christians and the hardliners in the Muslim world...I mean, more so than we've seen to date.

Obviously, things are going to (continue to) deteriorate between the US and Europe, but I'm not sure to what extent.

I think it's maybe time to pick sides...How many tug boats would it take to pull Canada across the Atlantic?

From: right behind you | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Hephaestion
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4795

posted 05 November 2004 02:15 AM      Profile for Hephaestion   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post
Naw, we were just going to build an Israeli Wall along the 49th Parallel....
From: goodbye... :-( | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
ShyViolet
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6611

posted 05 November 2004 02:29 AM      Profile for ShyViolet     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
evangelical christians and muslim hardliners???

eep!!! i don't want to be caught b/t those 2.

From: ~Love is like pi: natural, irrational, and very important~ | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
NDP Newbie
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5089

posted 05 November 2004 02:33 AM      Profile for NDP Newbie     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
The usual cabal of Republicans, Chicoms, Sauds, multi-nationals, and fake preachers corrupting Islam and Christianity will consolidate power and turn the world into such a totalitarian Hellhole that many people, particularly those of high intellect and critical thinking capabilities, will blow their brains out. :-(
aRoused
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1962

posted 05 November 2004 07:06 AM      Profile for aRoused     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Israeli Wall

Now, now, it's a *fence*, not a wall. Go look inside yourself for five minutes or something.

From: The King's Royal Burgh of Eoforwich | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Hephaestion
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4795

posted 05 November 2004 11:21 AM      Profile for Hephaestion   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by aRoused:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
quote:
Israeli Wall
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Now, now, it's a *fence*, not a wall. Go look inside yourself for five minutes or something.

Riiiiiiight.... Kinda like that "Great Fence of China" thingie...

From: goodbye... :-( | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
exiled armadillo
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6389

posted 05 November 2004 12:07 PM      Profile for exiled armadillo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I predict that the missile defence thingy will work at its real purpose which is to tie up our budget spending so that we can't afford any soliders or equipment so we are easier to invade when the time comes.

Afterall they only invade people they know they can beat, so they have to soften us up first.

From: Politicians and diapers should be changed frequently and for the same reason | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
venus_man
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6131

posted 05 November 2004 12:24 PM      Profile for venus_man        Edit/Delete Post
Exactly- the war between the two fanatical organisations. Ideological fanatics of the West against the same of the Middle East. Who’s going to win? None. Who’s going to suffer? People (many people) who got cot in this stupidity.

Watch many Canadian conservatives inspired by this fanatic’s election victory raising up their heads and challenging the government.

America is divided, and hopefully a growing concern will grow into open challenge, criticism and impeachment of the undemocratic government. For democracy should never go hand and hand with the so-called mainstream religious ‘values’. In fact democracy was formed as an opposition to the 'religious' and other sort of barbarians of all times.
Yes Royal Tenenbaum, American empire is crumbling. And before inquisition formed, progressives and freedom-loving people of America on all levels of life should be proactive, and make it their goal to not let fanatics rule and cause even more damage. Will democracy prevail?
What are the terms upon which a president of the US can be impeached?

ronb
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2116

posted 05 November 2004 01:03 PM      Profile for ronb     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
The US gets its ass handed to it in Iraq AND Afghanistan, China finally gets unfettered access to the oil it needs to propel itself into superpower status and bingo, America wanes and splits into three countries - the latest election map should give you an idea of what their borders look like.

Oil runs out, but not soon enough to prevent global warming from flooding most of the worlds landmass. Dolphins take over.

I for one welcome our new dolphin overlords.

gopi
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6163

posted 05 November 2004 01:13 PM      Profile for gopi     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Note to self: buy English-Dolphin dictionary before impending catastrophe.
intheright
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6998

posted 05 November 2004 10:06 PM      Profile for intheright        Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by ronb:
The US gets its ass handed to it in Iraq AND Afghanistan, China finally gets unfettered access to the oil it needs to propel itself into superpower status and bingo, America wanes and splits into three countries - the latest election map should give you an idea of what their borders look like.

Oil runs out, but not soon enough to prevent global warming from flooding most of the worlds landmass. Dolphins take over.

I for one welcome our new dolphin overlords.

or to toil in the satt mines under our ant overlords.
would have ended quicker under Kerry, I'm sorry to say

intheright
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6998

posted 05 November 2004 10:06 PM      Profile for intheright        Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by intheright:

or to toil in the salt mines under our ant overlords.
would have ended quicker under Kerry, I'm sorry to say

Vansterdam Kid
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5474

posted 06 November 2004 05:03 AM      Profile for Vansterdam Kid   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I think it's going to end with his finger on the proverbial button.
Pimji
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 228

posted 06 November 2004 10:50 AM      Profile for Pimji   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
In this day of high incomes, masse global poverty ,resource depletion along with high illiteracy and population, we with our cushy urban lives we have much to lose. I doubt there will be any significant bomb blasts in North America and certainly not a beach front landing of troops on our shores. Even 9/11 and Oklahoma are very small in comparison to levels of global violence. We would more likely be bled away slowly, all the while looking for direction from the people who are “looking out for our best interest”. No matter how starnge their belief system appears to be. If humans where sheep we would elect a wolf to protect us, because the wolf has big teeth.
From: South of Ottawa | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 06 November 2004 11:10 AM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I too think that Pimji's scenario is likely in North America, especially if Canadian elites continue to cave in to the logic that we have no choice but to ally ourselves ever more closely with the U.S. As the North American economy and international power and influence deteroriate, elites here will still have enough power to prey on their own peoples -- Bush's economics are the blueprint.

I don't discount the possibility of major terror attacks here, though. They are just too easy to organize, and there are now too many people feeling righteous anger against the West. I'm sort of assuming that some attacks are inevitable.

quelar
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2739

posted 06 November 2004 11:39 AM      Profile for quelar     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
The world will not end, however the power will change hands.

The US dollar is dropping, their debt is growing, Russia and China are moving money into Euro's as opposed to the US dollar. Their economy is based entirely on the principle of being the #1 money trader, and product trader in the world. That can quickly be changed, and with it, the wealth of the US leaves and moves to say Communist China, or India, or one of the many other places waiting for their chance.

Countries like Mexico and Canada who rely to heavily on the US for trade will suffer just as bad. We need to diversify now, we're already in danger.

From: In Dig Nation | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Vansterdam Kid
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5474

posted 06 November 2004 05:56 PM      Profile for Vansterdam Kid   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
People put too much stock in trade. Trade is a good thing, especially if done right, but it accounts for what 40% of our GDP? Now suppose the US economy collapsed yes it would definitely hurt us (and other countries with a lot of American trade) but it's not as if we would fall as far as they have.

After a certain point the simple fact that the Canadian economy, while imo it's still too heavily based upon primary products, is still fairly sound would result in a correction and as such we would recover. Although this does depend on how proactive our government(s) are in reacting. And while someone who believes in the market to greater extent would say "it will correct it's self in such a scenario", something I don't quite believe because it's assuming the market is logical, proactive government action could 'cushion' any blows.

I agree that our standards of living are falling but after a certain point they could go up as well (nothing like this is purely one way with no chance at reversal). I just think if the world ends it will be so quick that none of us will actually know, so there's little point in worrying about it (trying to stop it yes -- but little point in worrying).

yankcanuck
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5582

posted 06 November 2004 11:22 PM      Profile for yankcanuck     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Bin Laden says his goal is to bankrupt America
http://207.44.245.159/article7201.htm

From: What wisdom can you find that is greater than kindness? | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca