babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » archived babble   » USA   » Rove: Bush to push for federal SSM ban again

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Rove: Bush to push for federal SSM ban again
Hephaestion
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4795

posted 07 November 2004 04:13 PM      Profile for Hephaestion   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post
I knew that Marilyn Musgrave and Rick Santorum said they would reintroduce a constitutional amendment to outlaw same sex marriage, but apparently now The Prince of Darkness is saying that Bush will back it as well.

I have no link(s), but my friend Yvon tells me Rove was on NBC's "Meet the Press" this morning, and later was on "Fox News Sunday".

Apparently, he told Faux News, "If we want to have a hopeful and decent society, we ought to aim for the ideal, and the ideal is that marriage ought to be, and should be, a union of a man and a woman," and said that Bush would be pushing congress to pass the bill this time.

Renewing his push for an amendment would be a way for Bush to reward his conservative base, even if the amendment would face a steep hurdle winning the needed approval of three-fourths of the states.

Well, he did say he was going to "spend some earned political capital." Is anyone surprised that this is the very first thing he picked?

~~~~~~~~~~~~

edited to fix missing words. *tsk* I think even *more* quickly than I type on a Sunday morning...

[ 07 November 2004: Message edited by: Hephaestion ]

From: goodbye... :-( | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
pogge
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2440

posted 07 November 2004 04:27 PM      Profile for pogge   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hephaestion:

Renewing his push for an amendment would be a way for Bush to reward his conservative base, even if the amendment would face a steep hurdle winning the needed approval of three-fourths of the states.

This is Karl Rove we're talking about and everything he does is about politics. He may actually prefer that the amendment never pass. He just wants to keep it alive as long as possible because it's useful as a wedge and a distraction from economic issues.

From: Why is this a required field? | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca