FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » archived babble   » USA   » Depression high in New York City

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Depression high in New York City
Montovan
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4972

posted 07 November 2004 12:34 AM      Profile for Montovan     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
New Yorkers in Disbelief

"...since 11 September New Yorkers have also wanted to be informed about the rest of the world. But the most foreign land - now, they realise, more than ever - is the rest of their own country..."

""'The country seems like a panorama of madness and delusion worthy of Hieronymus Bosch,' writes Frank, 'of sturdy blue-collar patriots reciting the Pledge while they strangle their own life chances.'..."

"With Bush in the White House, they might lose their jobs, they might die because they can't afford health insurance, but it's worth it in order to ensure the unhappiness of others: gay people who want to get married, for example, or women who need an abortion...."

The article then goes on to question the Diebold electronic voting system and how easy it's been proven it can be messed with--and how another system which does provide a paper trail has lost its innovator to a thing called death by car crash--a mite suspicious to conspiracy advocates.

I can't recall an election result that has produced so much angst as the Bush "win."

josh
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2938

posted 07 November 2004 09:24 AM      Profile for josh     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Well, I've been through 1980 and 1994, and those elections were depressing. The difference here is a feeling on the part of the northeast, for example, that we really live in an alien country. 1980, and to a lesser extent 1994, was generally not geographically dependent. This election was.
From: the twilight zone between the U.S. and Canada | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 07 November 2004 09:28 AM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Have you felt a similar "group depression" where you are, being in close proximity to NYC?
From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
josh
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2938

posted 07 November 2004 09:31 AM      Profile for josh     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Being isolated in suburbia, you don't get as much of a feel. But I've heard that in college towns and big cities there's a lot more openly expressed about it.
From: the twilight zone between the U.S. and Canada | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Hegemo
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5176

posted 07 November 2004 09:37 AM      Profile for The Hegemo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
There's definitely "group depression" going on where I am...of course, I live in a neighborhood that's probably at least 1/3 gay, and I work for a union, so I spend my time surrounded by people who really had a personal stake in Bush losing this election. We also get the guilt and shame that comes along with living in the state that tipped it all into the red column (although Franklin County went blue, and by a bigger margin than in 2000). We feel estranged from many of our neighbors and friends.
From: The Persistent Vegetative States of America | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Crippled_Newsie
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7024

posted 07 November 2004 09:41 AM      Profile for Crippled_Newsie     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I read a columnist in the San Francisco Chronicle who wondered why no one was reporting the story that huge numbers of Democrats are hurling themselves from the Golden Gate bridge like so many Prozac-chewing penguins.
From: It's all about the thumpa thumpa. | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 07 November 2004 09:47 AM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I'm not depressed. I'm furious. I was just talking to a friend about it this morning.

Has anyone else been in a bitch of a mood for the past week or so? I haven't actually had it out with anyone yet in real life, but there have been a couple of times when I've made sharp comments (once in the elevator in my building, and once on the subway) where I would never have done so otherwise. I'm usually relatively placid on my way to work even though some people who take the subway are ABSOLUTE IDIOTS. But for the past week or so, I've been getting TTC rage like nobody's business (TTC is the name of Toronto's transit system) and seething silently.

The strange thing is, I'm not in a bad mood with people I love, or people at work, and for the most part I don't feel angry all the time or anything. But every once in a while, I suddenly feel totally bitchy, and I don't control my temper quite as well as usual when it happens. And I've been letting myself get trolled on babble so much over the past few days, and have even been feeling completely combative about other political stories or debates that don't involve the American election or its aftermath.

I think maybe I need to take up yoga or something.

[ 07 November 2004: Message edited by: Michelle ]

From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kinetix
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5296

posted 07 November 2004 10:28 AM      Profile for Kinetix     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I know it's no consolation, Michelle, but I always have TTC rage. Yonge station literally causes me to seethe with anger. Stupid dipshit morons who insist on getting on the train before I get off will, one of these days, end up with a broken nose.

I detest travelling on the Yonge line so much that when home hunting a couple of years back I would only take a house on the university subway. Now I sit, even during rush hour. It's nice being able to breathe.

From: Montréal, Québec | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Hinterland
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4014

posted 07 November 2004 10:35 AM      Profile for Hinterland        Edit/Delete Post
TTC riders are some of the most ill-mannered people I can think of. When I board the subway, I stand conspicuously to the side of the doors, clearly indicating that I'm not planning on boarding until people exit. Well, the last time I was in Toronto, some misery exited, not straight out, but to the side...and since I was in his way, he yelled at me for not letting him exit first.

[ 07 November 2004: Message edited by: Hinterland ]

From: Québec/Ontario | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 07 November 2004 11:39 AM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Well, some TTC riders are, that's for sure. I've noticed that the majority can usually figure out transit etiquette, which is pretty freakin' basic if you ask me, but it's the sizable minority of idiots that are annoying.

Strangely enough, even though I have all sorts of transit pet peeves, I don't usually let them get to me terribly much. At the most, I'll have a running sarcastic monologue in my head about someone if I run into a really egregious case of transit stupidity, but for the most part, I don't let myself get excited about it. I can only think of maybe two times where I've actually made a snarky comment to someone on the subway.

Usually I just figure life's too short for that sort of thing, and why raise my blood pressure? But lately I've let myself seethe a bit more. It's not pleasant. I really have to shake that off.

Sara Mayo
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3714

posted 07 November 2004 11:54 AM      Profile for Sara Mayo     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Um, Tape, the San Franscico Chronicle guy wasn't really saing that lots of Democrats had committed suicide. He was just saying they were very depressed that the majority of the fellow folk were so different than them.
quote:
Why is it that no one really wanted to tell the deep, dark truth the day after the election about the losing side -- and in the Bay Area in particular? Even Fox News refrained from saying, "They're leaping off the Golden Gate Bridge like Prozac-chewing penguins!" But that was the mood, was it not? Is it not? All you had to do was listen in on conversations in line for coffee or at the grocery store. It's ridiculous to hide from the fact that the Bay Area is a predominantly liberal -- oooh, the "L" word -- region. San Francisco in particular. Isn't it silly and maybe duplicitous to simply say "the country is deeply divided"?
Uh, yeah we are. We're so far apart it's like the West Coast and Middle Earth. Let's put it this way: There's very little chance that the red and blue states are going to make purple anytime soon.

[Edited because I can't believe I wrote "country-men"]

[ 07 November 2004: Message edited by: Sara Mayo ]

From: "Highways are monuments to inequality" - Enrique Penalosa | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Hinterland
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4014

posted 07 November 2004 12:35 PM      Profile for Hinterland        Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Usually I just figure life's too short for that sort of thing, and why raise my blood pressure? But lately I've let myself seethe a bit more. It's not pleasant. I really have to shake that off.

I savour the experience I had back in the early 90's, while on the Yonge line going up from Bloor. Two people were having this loud, impolite exchange about how one of them hadn't moved over quickly enough and the other one had sat on her umbrella. On and on, the two of them went, until someone else said "Look. Either the two of you move away from each other, or I'm pressing the security strip. Either way, I'm not going to listen to this all the way up to Eglinton". Then everyone in the car applauded.

[ 07 November 2004: Message edited by: Hinterland ]

Hailey
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6438

posted 07 November 2004 12:54 PM      Profile for Hailey     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
It's interesting to me how divided the country was in terms of voting.

A President that had a huge part of his platform focusing on his abilities as a leader during war didn't win in the state most influenced by terrorism.

It's also interesting that the poorest states voted for the Republicans with the richer states voting democrat. Given that the wealthy will benefit most from the Republicans in terms of financial and material worth that is perplexing to me.

When you look at how galvanized people are - how split things are - on an electoral map. It is easy to see how someone could feel isolated from other americans in their thoughts.

fern hill
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3582

posted 07 November 2004 01:19 PM      Profile for fern hill        Edit/Delete Post
Yes, Michelle, I've been enraged since the election too. I decided to quit smoking on Wednesday, so that's what I'm attributing my crankiness to, but it's really fury and despair over those shit-for-brains Amerikans who voted for Shrub. So now when I'm tempted to nip out and buy a pack of smokes, I think: "No, if I do that, the shit-for-brains will have won."
Mandos
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 888

posted 07 November 2004 01:26 PM      Profile for Mandos   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
BTW for those of you wondering how to pronounce Toronto place-names, Yonge street is obviously pronounced "yonj". Just pronounce it the way you see it!
From: There, there. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Hinterland
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4014

posted 07 November 2004 01:29 PM      Profile for Hinterland        Edit/Delete Post
Isle-lington. Etobico-Ke.
Mandos
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 888

posted 07 November 2004 01:31 PM      Profile for Mandos   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Precisely!
No Yards
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4169

posted 07 November 2004 01:46 PM      Profile for No Yards   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Thanks for the lessons, as someone who lives way out east on Que-en street, I don't get enough practice using those fancy uptown subway stop names.
From: Defending traditional marriage since June 28, 2005 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 07 November 2004 01:48 PM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
My dad (from Calgary) always insisted on saying Bat-hurst.
VanLuke
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7039

posted 07 November 2004 02:04 PM      Profile for VanLuke     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hinterland:
Isle-lington.

And I lived in Is - lington not Isle - lington (like the Isley Brothers)

That was in London England

Mandos
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 888

posted 07 November 2004 02:09 PM      Profile for Mandos   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Yeah, see, they corrupted place names when they named things in Toronto. It's no longer Is-lington. It is indeed Isle-lington. Go figure.

Another example: Scarbo-ruff (Scarborough). I know in the UK it must be Scarbor-o. But in Toronto they pronounce it like "rough".

skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 07 November 2004 02:10 PM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Mandos naughty.
John_D
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5620

posted 07 November 2004 02:13 PM      Profile for John_D     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
My wife despises my Nova Scotian influenced pronounciation of Dundas, which I say as Dund-uss.
From: Workin' 9 to 2 in the 902. | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 07 November 2004 02:16 PM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Who else says Du-PONT rather than DOO-pont?
Reality. Bites.
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6718

posted 07 November 2004 02:27 PM      Profile for Reality. Bites.        Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mandos:
Another example: Scarbo-ruff (Scarborough). I know in the UK it must be Scarbor-o. But in Toronto they pronounce it like "rough".

Now stop that. People will think you're serious.

Folks, it's Scarbor-up, like in hiccough.

From: Gone for good | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
August1991
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6768

posted 07 November 2004 03:03 PM      Profile for August1991     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
How about Spad-EYE-na and not Spad-EE-na. Where did that pronuciation come from?
Hinterland
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4014

posted 07 November 2004 03:05 PM      Profile for Hinterland        Edit/Delete Post
Interestingly, the historic house near Casa Loma is called "Spa-DEE-na". I think they changed the pronunciation to "Spa-dine-a" to rhyme with my favourite word...*ahem*...Regina.
VanLuke
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7039

posted 07 November 2004 03:08 PM      Profile for VanLuke     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by skdadl:
Mandos naughty.

No Skadl this is English for what the Vietnamese and the Germans call (what one learns on Jeopardy!) wau-wau

rough, rough. Good dog Fido

[ 07 November 2004: Message edited by: VanLuke ]

VanLuke
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7039

posted 07 November 2004 03:10 PM      Profile for VanLuke     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Who would have thunk that in the Queen's city they don't know how to speak the Queen's tongue?

Tongue in cheek

al-Qa'bong
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3807

posted 07 November 2004 05:37 PM      Profile for al-Qa'bong   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Hmmm, a thread about NYC gets sidetracked into a discussion about Trawwna.

Mind you, it was a world class sidetrack.

From: Saskatchistan | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Crippled_Newsie
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7024

posted 07 November 2004 05:39 PM      Profile for Crippled_Newsie     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sara Mayo:
Um, Tape, the San Franscico Chronicle guy wasn't really saing that lots of Democrats had committed suicide. He was just saying they were very depressed that the majority of the fellow folk were so different than them.

I'm aware of that, Sara. I just found it an amusing bit.

[ 07 November 2004: Message edited by: Tape_342 ]

From: It's all about the thumpa thumpa. | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sara Mayo
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3714

posted 07 November 2004 05:42 PM      Profile for Sara Mayo     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Oh, sorry.

I just didn't want other gullible babblers to do like me and think it was true!

From: "Highways are monuments to inequality" - Enrique Penalosa | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Contrarian
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6477

posted 07 November 2004 06:14 PM      Profile for Contrarian     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
A man did kill himself at ground zero in New York - his family thinks because of the election.article
From: pretty far west | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 07 November 2004 10:04 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by al-Qa'bong:
Hmmm, a thread about NYC gets sidetracked into a discussion about Trawwna.

Mind you, it was a world class sidetrack.

I was thinking that earlier. Sorry!

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca