babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » first stop   » introductions and frequently asked questions   » Greetings

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Greetings
sanctus
recent-rabble-rouser
Babbler # 13841

posted 11 February 2007 02:48 AM      Profile for sanctus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Good morning forum people

Just signed on. Glad to be a member here and looking for good discussions.

also nice to see it seems to be a Canadian forum!

From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 11 February 2007 05:30 AM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Welcome!
From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
oldgoat
Babbler # 1130

posted 12 February 2007 07:46 AM      Profile for oldgoat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hi. Cool name. It was always one of my favourite parts of the mass. Mainly because it meant it was almost over, but also because composers seemed particularly inspired by the sanctus. I particularly like the sanctus in the St. Cecilia Mass.
From: The 10th circle | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
jeff house
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 518

posted 12 February 2007 09:19 AM      Profile for jeff house     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I like that music too.

Recently, I read that the words "hocus pocus" actually derive from a Protestant slur on the Catholic mass.

It comes from "hoc est corpus".

M. Spector
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 8273

posted 12 February 2007 10:07 AM      Profile for M. Spector   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Etymology doubtful
From: One millihelen: The amount of beauty required to launch one ship. | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
oldgoat
Babbler # 1130

posted 12 February 2007 10:12 AM      Profile for oldgoat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
If I remember from my alter boy days, its "hoc est enim corpus meum blah..blah..etc.

Anyway who cares what protestants think. The nuns at school were pretty clear on where they were going when they died, and it wasn't Disneyland.

oldgoat
Babbler # 1130

posted 12 February 2007 10:19 AM      Profile for oldgoat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Cross posted with that. Not being one to ever doubt another man's etymology, the terms could have been conflated by either waggish alter boys or local protestant ruffians. I recall Dominus Vobiscum turning into Dominic go frisk 'em.

Ah such hilarity.

For anyone out there who does remember the old Tridentine Mass, I could, and still can, say the Suscipiat faster than damn near anyone on the planet. Earned me a couple of nasty stares from the Celebrant for being irreverent.

[ 12 February 2007: Message edited by: oldgoat ]

jeff house
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 518

posted 12 February 2007 10:36 AM      Profile for jeff house     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Well, I got it from Harold Berman's two volume history "Law and Revolution: The Formation of the Western Legal Tradition".

a review of berman

Interestingly, the etymology which Spector links to indicates that the first written use in English was in 1624.

In other words, this use occurs just at the time when England was in a near-revolutionary turmoil over "Papists" and the possibility of a Catholic heir.

The Roman Catholic doctrine of transsubstantiation (that Christ's body is actually physically present during the mass) was one of Luther's main arguments against
Catholicism.

quote:
Luther explicitly rejected transubstantiation, believing that the bread and wine remained fully bread and fully wine while also being fully the body and blood of Jesus Christ. Luther instead emphasized the consubstantiation.

What is noticeable about Spector's link is that NO actual derivation is given. They tell you when the expression was first used, but not why.

Wilf Day
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3276

posted 12 February 2007 10:47 AM      Profile for Wilf Day     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by oldgoat:
I recall Dominus Vobiscum turing into Dominic go frisk 'em.

A mondegreen is a misheard song lyric:
quote:
Our Father, we chart in Heaven, Harold be thy name.

Thy king done come, Thy will be dumb
quote:

On earth as a kiss in Heaven.
Give us this day our jelly bread
And forgive us our dads as we forgive our dadders.
And lead a snot into Penn Station,
But deliver us from eagles,
For Thine is the King Dome and the power and the glory forever, Ah, men!

[ 12 February 2007: Message edited by: Wilf Day ]

From: Port Hope, Ontario | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 12 February 2007 12:35 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by oldgoat:
Anyway who cares what protestants think. The nuns at school were pretty clear on where they were going when they died, and it wasn't Disneyland.

Funny...that's what I kept hearing about youse guys from some of the folks at my Baptist church.

See you in hell, good buddy!

From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
sanctus
recent-rabble-rouser
Babbler # 13841

posted 13 February 2007 12:14 PM      Profile for sanctus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Thank you for the messages folks. "Sanctus" is also one of my favourite parts of the Mass. I participate in the TLM on a regular basis.

Question, is there a way for one to reply to the posts using quotations of that original post?

M. Spector
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 8273

posted 13 February 2007 12:32 PM      Profile for M. Spector   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Click on the

at the top of the post you want to quote.

From: One millihelen: The amount of beauty required to launch one ship. | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
sanctus
recent-rabble-rouser
Babbler # 13841

posted 14 February 2007 01:52 PM      Profile for sanctus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by M. Spector:
Click on the

at the top of the post you want to quote.

Why thank you!

Cameron W
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10767

posted 25 February 2007 11:26 AM      Profile for Cameron W   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Welcome to the forum sanctus! I look forward to discussing all things 'babble-worthy' with you.

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca