babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

Topic Closed  Topic Closed

FAQ | Forum Home

This topic has been transferred to this forum: rabble news features.  
next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » first stop   » introductions and frequently asked questions   » Women or "Ladies"

Author Topic: Women or "Ladies"
CarolMariane
recent-rabble-rouser
Babbler # 13695

posted 08 January 2007 04:03 PM      Profile for CarolMariane   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Thanks Lisa and Michelle.
In response to Lisa's column, Dec. 15th of last month and "Sugar and Spice"....
Everywhere I go, adult females are rarely called women....they're "ladies" and myself, I cringe when I hear the term. Ladies, as defined in the Oxford Canadian dictionary, Katherine Barber, editor-in-chief, is a socially acceptable behaviour, while woman is defined as...an adult female. There is then, a definite difference between calling an adult female a woman over a lady. There's a feeling of less than equality with this term.. I wonder even if people who refer to women as ladies, know the difference between the two words or...would a woman herself, say that "I never thought of it that way before!"

I've been indirectly referred to as a lady, girl and "guy" which is as generic as mankind in a patriarchal way. Tell someone you're a woman and they look at you like you're speaking in a strange language.

I wish we lived in a much more socially equal society.

From: Bracebridge, Ontario | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Stargazer
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6061

posted 08 January 2007 04:15 PM      Profile for Stargazer     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I rarely if ever use the term ladies and I dislike being called 'lady' by anyone. It grates on me just the same way Ma'am does. I am quite proud to cal myself a woman and I feel downright silly referring to myself as a girl.

Women over ladies any day.

From: Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist. | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sharon
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4090

posted 08 January 2007 04:16 PM      Profile for Sharon     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Hi CarolMariane. And for those who might have missed it, here's Lisa's column.
From: Halifax, Nova Scotia | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
M. Spector
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 8273

posted 08 January 2007 04:44 PM      Profile for M. Spector   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stargazer:
I rarely if ever use the term ladies and I dislike being called 'lady' by anyone. It grates on me just the same way Ma'am does. I am quite proud to cal myself a woman and I feel downright silly referring to myself as a girl.
When a stranger addresses you directly, how do you prefer to be addressed?
  • Excuse me, ma'am, I think this pen belongs to you.
  • Excuse me, lady, I think this pen belongs to you.
  • Excuse me, woman, I think this pen belongs to you.
  • Excuse me, ___?___...

From: One millihelen: The amount of beauty required to launch one ship. | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Coyote
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4881

posted 08 January 2007 04:49 PM      Profile for Coyote   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Well, there's always "Excuse me, I think this is your pen." But "excuse me, woman . . ." does not exactly come trippingly to the tongue.
From: O’ for a good life, we just might have to weaken. | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
M.Gregus
babble intern
Babbler # 13402

posted 08 January 2007 06:13 PM      Profile for M.Gregus     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
This topic seems better suited to the rabble news forum so I'm going to move it there!
From: capital region | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca