FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » archived babble   » election 2006   » DAVE BARRETT

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: DAVE BARRETT
LIZZIE
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 11606

posted 13 January 2006 03:27 PM      Profile for LIZZIE     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Can anyone give me Dave Barrett, bacground?

I been hearing his name of late and i know he was Victoria/Vancover NDPer?

From: REGINA,SASK/CANADA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Erstwhile
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4845

posted 13 January 2006 03:32 PM      Profile for Erstwhile     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Wikipedia article on Dave Barrett.
From: Deepest Darkest Saskabush | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
JackAverage
recent-rabble-rouser
Babbler # 11559

posted 13 January 2006 03:32 PM      Profile for JackAverage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dave_Barrett

I can see one mistake in this article though. In 1976 Barrett was elected in a by-election in Vancouver East, which he held until he resigned after the 1983 election.

Erstwhile beat me to it...by seconds.

[ 13 January 2006: Message edited by: JackAverage ]

From: Heart of Darkness, Calgary SouthWest | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
LIZZIE
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 11606

posted 13 January 2006 03:46 PM      Profile for LIZZIE     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Thank you!
From: REGINA,SASK/CANADA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
scott
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 637

posted 13 January 2006 04:50 PM      Profile for scott   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Barrett recently popped his head up to oppose pro-rep in BC, one of the most prominent BC-NDPers to do so:
CUPE BC’s political action conference report

quote:
the most forceful objection to STV by far came from the conference’s keynote speaker, former BC premier Dave Barrett. The BC New Democrats’ longest-serving leader, Barrett, now 74, showed he hasn’t lost the passion and wit that kept him in the headlines throughout his quarter-century political career.

Clutching a copy of the official brochure of the Citizens’ Assembly on Electoral Reform, the former Member of Parliament took aim at what he sees as the hidden agenda of STV. “This is designed for one purpose only. This is a propaganda piece written in a way to suggest it’s an intellectual advancement, when in fact it’s just another scheme to get the same people in power,”

[ 13 January 2006: Message edited by: scott ]

rockerbiff
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 9273

posted 13 January 2006 06:09 PM      Profile for rockerbiff   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
This is an old story but, hey looking at the results of the two elections from the early 50's that did use STV, I'd say the results were more diverse than any other elections held before or since.

Sure the Social Credit won big time, but at least it was still to some degree proportional to the votes the received.

Had STV not been in place the CCF would have received less seats, so what is Barrett's gripe ?

His gripe seems to be there were more party's elected in the two elections with STV, hence taking away votes from the main two parties.

From: Republic of East Van | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
scott
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 637

posted 13 January 2006 06:33 PM      Profile for scott   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by rockerbiff:
This is an old story but, hey looking at the results of the two elections from the early 50's that did use STV, I'd say the results were more diverse than any other elections held before or since.

Sure the Social Credit won big time, but at least it was still to some degree proportional to the votes the received.

In the 50s BC used the Alternative Vote, which is not STV. The Socreds won because they were the second choice of most voters.

quote:
Had STV not been in place the CCF would have received less seats, so what is Barrett's gripe ?

His gripe seems to be there were more party's elected in the two elections with STV, hence taking away votes from the main two parties.

Exactly. And this is probably why most BC dippers who oppose pro rep do so - because they would lose the large party bonus. Of cousrse this cuts the other way when you consider the position of the NDP federally - where they would get about double the seats in a pro rep system.

Maybe we can get old dave to speak up about that.

Rufus Polson
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3308

posted 13 January 2006 07:27 PM      Profile for Rufus Polson     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
A lot of dippers (myself more or less among them) seem to prefer MMP-type pro rep and have a dislike for STV specifically as a not-really-that-proportional system. So, a little care before broadcast mudslinging would be appreciated.
From: Caithnard College | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca