FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » archived babble   » election 2006   » Harper Will Cut

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Harper Will Cut
xman
recent-rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5375

posted 13 January 2006 12:41 PM      Profile for xman     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
He almost said it in the press conference today. When asked if he thought Canadians need to tighten their belts he said something like, "I'm not saying there's not going to be ... discussions."

The cuts are coming.
JUST like Harris and Campbell.

BillyBrindle
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10636

posted 13 January 2006 02:11 PM      Profile for BillyBrindle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by xman:
He almost said it in the press conference today. When asked if he thought Canadians need to tighten their belts he said something like, "I'm not saying there's not going to be ... discussions."

The cuts are coming.

I agree- and thank goodness. There are certainly plenty of programs which are valid and necessary, but there are others which need to be axed, or at least trimmed (Ie: the current version of the firearms registry- get rid of it, and give its funding to health care).

[ 13 January 2006: Message edited by: BillyBrindle ]

Berlynn
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2630

posted 13 January 2006 02:31 PM      Profile for Berlynn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by xman:

The cuts are coming.

...who learned from the likes of Devine and the other Tories in SK (some of whom went to jail) after their slash and burn terms of office...

Carter
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 8667

posted 13 January 2006 02:32 PM      Profile for Carter        Edit/Delete Post
I don't think people should be quite as worried about which programs Harper would cut as about which programs Harper would expand. In the US, government serves as a pipeline, moving as much money as possible from the pockets of poor and middle-class Americans to the pockets of parasitic missile and prison construction companies. This appears to be Harper's inspiration.
From: Goin' Down the Road | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Left Turn
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 8662

posted 13 January 2006 02:42 PM      Profile for Left Turn     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
xman wrote:
quote:
The cuts are coming.

Stephen Harper sounds just like a clone of Gordon Campbell from the 2001 BC election. It's scary, and it sends shivers down my spine.

Too many people keep buying this s***. How many times will people have to be hoodwinked before they get some sense?

[ 13 January 2006: Message edited by: Left Turn ]

retread
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 9957

posted 13 January 2006 02:49 PM      Profile for retread     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Weren't Harris's cuts partially driven by the Liberal's cuts in transfer payments?
Lard Tunderin' Jeezus
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1275

posted 13 January 2006 03:50 PM      Profile for Lard Tunderin' Jeezus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
In a word, no.

They were driven by his own tax-cutting agenda. Any such cuts were premature, particularly as they accrued primarliy to the top quintile of earners (where they had the least stimulative effect).

Under Bob Rae's projected budgets, the deficit was to be eliminated in three years. The Harris-Eves government ran deficits each and every year they held office (with one exception, if you credit them for the regretable sell-off of the Bruce nuclear facilities and the 407 toll highway as revenue).

Modest Mook
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 11282

posted 13 January 2006 04:09 PM      Profile for Modest Mook     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Not the best source (yahoo ;( ) But if Harper actually stay true to what he pledges, I'm not sure how much will be cut.

I should capatilize, bold, and increase the font size of the IF shouldn't I?

From: Calgary, Canada | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca