babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

Topic Closed  Topic Closed

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » archived babble   » election 2006   » Parties' biggest battle: Who gets the last laugh? - LPC being ridiculed

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Parties' biggest battle: Who gets the last laugh? - LPC being ridiculed
leftcoastguy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5232

posted 13 January 2006 05:25 AM      Profile for leftcoastguy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
- from today's To Star

quote:
Ridicule has become a potent weapon in the hands of the Conservatives as the negative campaign heats up this week.

A wave of Liberal attack ads on the Tories and leader Stephen Harper, including a controversial one about soldiers in cities, has triggered a sarcastic, often hilarious backlash. Fake Liberal attack ads are percolating through cyberspace and even in some newspapers.

They are mostly modelled on the Liberal soldiers-in-cities ads — a series of declarative phrases, ending in "we're not making this up" or "choose your Canada."

One of the favourites comes from Conservative blogger Damian Penny: "Stephen Harper has a dog. You know who else had a dog? Hitler. Adolf Hitler. That's who. Did Stephen Harper train his dog to attack racial minorities on command? We don't know. He's not saying. Choose your Canada."

At yet another website yesterday, readers were invited to design their own Liberal attack ad under a bucolic picture of an adorable kitten, frolicking in front of felt-toy monsters. The slogan reads: "Every time you vote Conservative, Stephen Harper kills a kitten."

Political-strategy experts have long known that the party most successfully able to marshal the forces of ridicule is usually the one with positive momentum. Part of that is simply confidence — Tories in this campaign, for instance, are feeling confident enough to laugh off Liberal attacks.

Hephaestion
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4795

posted 13 January 2006 05:40 AM      Profile for Hephaestion   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post
Jeez, I hope the Liberals have some really TOXIC shit on the sleazebag mofo scumbag maggot Reformatories... (and I'm NOT kidding.)
From: goodbye... :-( | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Stargazer
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6061

posted 13 January 2006 07:46 AM      Profile for Stargazer     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Read the Toronto Star's front page today Heph. You know who is getting the last laugh with these bigoted pigs - gays and lesbians, the environment and aboriginal peoples, oh and we're going to be signing on to missle defense (against a majority of canadians wishes). If this is what the majority of Canadians want, another Mike Harris government, I want out of this country and fast. This country is going to be Rethug Lite, and I don't think we can afford to fuck around anymore. We must make sure the neo-cons do not get in.
From: Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist. | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
leftcoastguy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5232

posted 13 January 2006 07:52 AM      Profile for leftcoastguy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Stargazer

HNY!

Do you have a link for that article?

What's the title?

Cheers,

Reality. Bites.
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6718

posted 13 January 2006 08:01 AM      Profile for Reality. Bites.        Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hephaestion:
Jeez, I hope the Liberals have some really TOXIC shit on the sleazebag mofo scumbag maggot Reformatories... (and I'm NOT kidding.)

What the fuck did you think was going to happen?????

Did you actually think that Canadians were going to throw out the Liberals and move to the party they've consistently shown, come hell or high water, they won't support?

From: Gone for good | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
stupendousgirlie
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 11076

posted 13 January 2006 08:05 AM      Profile for stupendousgirlie     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I don't think any more attack ads are going to make a lot of difference. The controversy over the offensive ad has minimized the effectiveness of the current and any future attack ads against the Conservatives. I wouldn't be at all surprised if the Conservatives start putting out "feel good" ads from now until the end of the campaign.
From: Wondering how the left can ever form a national government | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Stargazer
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6061

posted 13 January 2006 08:12 AM      Profile for Stargazer     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Did you actually think that Canadians were going to throw out the Liberals and move to the party they've consistently shown, come hell or high water, they won't support?

Yes and no. The optimisitic, caring and people loving side said, hell yeah, people are generally good and care empathetic. The cynical, I hate people side said people are by and large apathetic assholes. So...

Link the The Star article:

http://tinyurl.com/8qxju

Enjoy the NWO!

From: Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist. | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 13 January 2006 08:20 AM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
This is about the Liberal party ads and can easily fit in the threads already open on the subject.
From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca