babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

Topic Closed  Topic Closed

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » archived babble   » election 2006   » Paul Martin is "NO" LPC asset

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Paul Martin is "NO" LPC asset
leftcoastguy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5232

posted 13 January 2006 03:37 AM      Profile for leftcoastguy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
- as reported today in the To Star:

quote:
But this year, many Liberals are conceding that it may be impossible to come back. Harper has run a nearly mistake-free campaign with a popular cut in the GST as the centrepiece of his platform, and some Liberal party insiders believe that the mood for change is just too strong to overcome.

Graves backed that up in his poll. "Although the voter volatility of the last two weeks, as well as the Liberals' successful fight-back from behind in the 2004 election may give them some reason for hope, they face a daunting challenge.

"Paul Martin, once the strongest element in their appeal, is a diminishing asset," Graves said. "He now trails Stephen Harper as the leader with the most positive vision for the future. The aversion to Martin in Quebec ... is especially profound." Just 10 days ago, Graves said, Canadians believed by a wide margin that the Liberals would be re-elected.

"Now a sizeable majority say it is the Tories who will probably win," he said.

Graves added that "recently converted" Tory supporters express a high level of confidence that their minds are made up.

"If Paul Martin and the Liberals are not able to disrupt this pattern in the next few days, the only remaining question will be whether it is a Conservative minority or Conservative majority on election night."

Graves said "we now see Ontario falling into the Conservative column for the first time. The Tories, based on tonight's tracking numbers, seem set for major gains of seats in the province."

What's it goin' to take for NDPers to realize the LPC is their real enemy?

leftcoastguy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5232

posted 13 January 2006 05:17 AM      Profile for leftcoastguy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Liberal campaign in "disarray"
Hephaestion
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4795

posted 13 January 2006 05:45 AM      Profile for Hephaestion   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post
quote:

Oh, the Liberals are the enemy, all right. But the lying, malicious, hateful scumbag Reformatories are the ARCH-enemy.

From: goodbye... :-( | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
leftcoastguy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5232

posted 13 January 2006 05:51 AM      Profile for leftcoastguy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Hep

I agree but until NDP supporters understand the absolute necessity of cutting loose from the LPC the NDP is doomed.

Hephaestion
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4795

posted 13 January 2006 05:53 AM      Profile for Hephaestion   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post
From the link in the second post:
quote:
New Democratic Party Leader Jack Layton ridiculed Liberal scare tactics saying Martin is resorting to "threats" and "manipulations" in debates and TV ads.

Martin "has nothing left to say to Canadians other than to tell them that unless they vote Liberal, the sun will not rise, spring will not come, and volcanoes will destroy the Earth" if Liberals aren't re-elected, Layton said in his written speech. "I don't think that's going to work this time Paul."
All very true, Jack, by why not follow it up by saying "The Liberals have no chance to stop the lying, two-faced, reactionary bigots and hate-mongers in the the Conservative Party. The best chance for progressive Canadians to stop the Conservatives is to vote your beliefs. Vote NDP!"

Of course, if he did say that, the Conservative-friendly CTV would run it under a headline, "Layton cracks up" or something similar.

leftcoastguy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5232

posted 13 January 2006 06:27 AM      Profile for leftcoastguy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Hep

i have stopped watching the CBC news because of their LPC bias and have been watching mainly CPAC and CTV. CPAC are the least biased but I think the CTV just want an exciting race to increase their ratings to sell their ads - nothing more than that. My impression, FWIW, is that CTV could care less which of the two right wing parties, the LPC or the CPC, wins.

[ 13 January 2006: Message edited by: leftcoastguy ]

Hephaestion
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4795

posted 13 January 2006 06:36 AM      Profile for Hephaestion   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post
I don't get CPAC *or* CTV. (Never missed CTV, either.)
leftcoastguy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5232

posted 13 January 2006 06:50 AM      Profile for leftcoastguy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
END-0F-DAY-DATE:
quote:
The Liberals continue to mis-characterize their own platform on their own website.

It's a little thing, really. They say there's a promise in their platform, and the promise isn't in their platform, and they make no correction. They insist they never intended to impugn the Conservatives' plan to put soldiers in Canadian cities, and they leave up a French-language ad that impugns the Conservatives' plan to put soldiers in Canadian cities.

At some point they have to ask themselves why so many Canadians are so eager to see the back of Paul Martin. Including Canadians who agree with Paul Martin on the issues. But that would take some introspection.

Pierre Cyr
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6278

posted 13 January 2006 06:56 AM      Profile for Pierre Cyr     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Ya keeping the french version of that ad is just so horribly hypocritical. Basically exploiting the martial law that the libs themselves used for crying out loud...

And God knows Im pissed at CBC for not posting some of my responses on riding talkback... But I still like it better than CTV.

From: Grand Falls NB | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
JKR
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7904

posted 13 January 2006 08:12 AM      Profile for JKR        Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by leftcoastguy:
- as reported today in the To Star:

Why do you want the NDP to forget about the Conservatives? That's exactly what the NDP should do if it wants a Conservative majority. Are you rooting for a Conservative majority? Do you really think that will help Canadians?

stupendousgirlie
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 11076

posted 13 January 2006 08:15 AM      Profile for stupendousgirlie     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I am going to throw out a dumb question here, but has TVO been doing any election coverage? We don't get TVO in Alberta but if Steve Paikin is an example of the kind of journalism on TVO then I think that's fabulous...
From: Wondering how the left can ever form a national government | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 13 January 2006 08:22 AM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
This posting could easily have fit in either this thread or this thread which you already started yourself, lcg. Come on, let's watch the thread proliferation, okay? A new thread doesn't need to be started each time there's a new article out on the same theme.
From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca