babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

Search | FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » archived babble   » election 2006   » BC Southern Interior: The Zeisman Follies

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: BC Southern Interior: The Zeisman Follies
Hephaestion
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4795

posted 12 January 2006 04:06 PM      Profile for Hephaestion   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post
The old thread was getting really long. If there *IS* still any discussion about this, could we please continue it here?

Thanks.

From: goodbye... :-( | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Albireo
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3052

posted 12 January 2006 04:29 PM      Profile for Albireo     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Just to bump this above the other thread and get it rolling, I'll shamelessly quote my summary from the other thread:
quote:
Originally posted by Albireo:
Along with complete shoe-in ridings like Crowfoot AB for the Cons, this riding is now ALREADY DECIDED. There is a 100% chance of electing NDP MP Alex Atamenko. The Libs were too far behind to catch up.

This must be among the most disastrous local candidacies in Canadian electoral history.

* The Conservatives nominate Zeisman to hold a seat that a retiring incumbant won by a razor-thin margin last time.
* An essay by Zeisman comes to light, in which he urges scrapping Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms, getting rid of the Canadian dollar and sharing a currency with the U.S.
* Zeisman is seriously injured in a car accident, and is unable to campaign because he's in traction in the hospital.
* He is charged with illegally smuggling a luxury car and some booze across the U.S.-Canada border.
* Police are actively investigating whether he caused the car accident, and whether charges are warranted.
* His own Conservative party denounces him and says that he can't sit in their caucus even if (if!) he is elected.

Seriously, can anybody think of a more disastrous candidate for a major party, ever?

Boom Boom
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7791

posted 12 January 2006 04:53 PM      Profile for Boom Boom     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
"The Zeisman Follies" - I love it!

The title brings to mind:Greatest Production Since The Birth Of Motion Pictures!

From: Make the rich pay! | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
West Coast Tiger
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10186

posted 12 January 2006 05:11 PM      Profile for West Coast Tiger     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Sounds like it should be a published book -- lord knows there is lots of material for 'the book'.

/Drift

Hi Boom Boom! Missed ya.

From: I never was and never will be a Conservative | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Boom Boom
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7791

posted 12 January 2006 06:49 PM      Profile for Boom Boom     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by West Coast Tiger:
Sounds like it should be a published book -- lord knows there is lots of material for 'the book'.

/Drift

Hi Boom Boom! Missed ya.

I missed me, too. Nice to see you again, WCT. How's life out where you are?

From: Make the rich pay! | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
leftcoastguy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5232

posted 12 January 2006 06:55 PM      Profile for leftcoastguy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Harper handled this incident like a champ - quite the contrast with the way Martin has blown the Income Trust caper and the lack of ministerial accountability by Goodale.

Compared to the Martin Liberals, the Harper Conservatives are lookin' might good, even though they are basically one and the same.

250 seats for Martin - anyone remember those arrogant days! It sure seems the LPC has not learned their lesson very well yet, but I'm sure the Canadian people will deliver it to them on January 23.

Great opportunity for the Layton New Democrats here!

[ 12 January 2006: Message edited by: leftcoastguy ]

HeywoodFloyd
token right-wing mascot
Babbler # 4226

posted 12 January 2006 07:04 PM      Profile for HeywoodFloyd     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Missd ya LCG. Where have you been?
From: Edmonton: This place sucks | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Privateer
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3446

posted 12 January 2006 07:18 PM      Profile for Privateer     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Anyone else think this is just the beginning? Zeisman and Rondo are probably comic relief compared to what the Liberals are still holding onto. The next week should be interesting.
leftcoastguy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5232

posted 12 January 2006 07:27 PM      Profile for leftcoastguy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by HeywoodFloyd:
Missd ya LCG. Where have you been?

Heywood et al - Happy New Year!

What's this I hear about Landslide Annie and other LPC candidates today making major apologies about the sicko LPC attack ads?

BTW you must be feelin' good these days, eh!

It's about time those LYING LPCers got their just rewards.

natas
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4211

posted 12 January 2006 08:20 PM      Profile for natas   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I feel like I'm at someone else's high school reunion!

The spin, the spin. Harper looks good in the end, they say. But Reynolds sure didn't look so hot. And Zeisman looks like a weenie (also an Osmond brother).

So add those up and how do the Tories look?

All I care about is that 'the charges are administrative in nature' will be a GREAT in-joke for years to come. Keep it handy.

From: Vineland Station, Ontario | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
North Shore
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 8029

posted 12 January 2006 09:23 PM      Profile for North Shore     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
While my first reaction to this was 'good! one down, 307 to go,' my 2nd is to say 'steady, it's not Jan 24th yet.' Mr.Atamenko may yet stumble in a major way, and if Mr. Zeisman does manage to pull the proverbial rabbit out of the hat and get elected, it's not like he's going to vote against a conservative gov't, even if they do kick him out of caucus/party...

Edited to add: On the bright side, yet another whacky page in the BC politics book

[ 12 January 2006: Message edited by: North Shore ]

Privateer
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3446

posted 12 January 2006 09:34 PM      Profile for Privateer     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Zeisman needs a machine to get elected in a close race like this. His machine is gone. Its a done deal.

The NDP can now focus more resources on other winnable ridings.

Anyone care to comment on how this is going over in BC? Are people talking about at the Starbucks?

Krago
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3064

posted 12 January 2006 09:47 PM      Profile for Krago     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Seriously, can anybody think of a more disastrous candidate for a major party, ever?

My nominations are:

- Emmanuel Feuerwerker (Liberal - 1988 - Etobicoke Lakeshore) - withdrew after nominations closed, so no Liberal candidate on the ballot - highest ever vote share for the Libertarians

- John Beck (Reform - 1993 - York Centre) - expelled as a Reform candidate after nominations closed for making comments like this to "The Excalibur" (York U student paper): "if an immigrant comes into Canada and gets a job for $150,000, he is taking jobs away from us… the Gentile people, the white people."

- (Help me Ottawa babblers!) (Liberal - 1995 Ont. prov. - Carleton) - removed as a Liberal candidate after copies of his nasty little anti-Semitic, anti-Catholic book "To Pope With Love" were found

All NDP candidates are pure and chaste with the strength of ten.

[ 13 January 2006: Message edited by: Krago ]

From: The Royal City | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
pebbles
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6400

posted 12 January 2006 09:56 PM      Profile for pebbles     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Krago:
- (Help me Ottawa babblers!) (Liberal - 1995 Ont. prov. - Carleton) - removed as a Liberal candidate after copies of his nasty little anti-Semitic, anti-Catholic book "To Pope With Love" were found

Mohamed Bassuny.

And who can forget Betty "Asian Invasion" Granger, CA, Winnipeg, 2000?

The really sleazy thing about Zeisman is that the Conservatives knew weeks ago, but waited until after the close of nominations and the deadline for withdrawal. There are still lots of morons who will robotically vote for Zeisman, Conservative, in the riding, and at a buck-seventy-five a vote, ka-ching!

Berlynn
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2630

posted 12 January 2006 09:57 PM      Profile for Berlynn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Privateer:
Anyone else think this is just the beginning? Zeisman and Rondo are probably comic relief compared to what the Liberals are still holding onto. The next week should be interesting.

Rick Mercer has a Rondo video piece on his blog.

Mercy, how I love Mercer!

mary123
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6125

posted 12 January 2006 10:01 PM      Profile for mary123     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
"Law and Order" according to the conservatives is only for black youth, Indians and others but does not apply to the conservatives themselves like keeping this Zeisman guy in the cons only until they were caught.

The conservatives only do the right thing when they are forced to. Law and Order is for other people not the conservatives that is until they are caught of course like in this case. Assholes.

This story proves they are lying to the Canadian public to win the election much like that other "compassionate conservative" George Bush lied to win his election. Gee Stephen Harper didn't have a problem with the republicans using negative ads to win the US election. Hypocrites again and again and again.

Lying through the sins of ommission is still 'lying'.

[ 12 January 2006: Message edited by: mary123 ]

From: ~~Canada - still God's greatest creation on the face of the earth~~ | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
West Coast Tiger
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10186

posted 13 January 2006 09:34 AM      Profile for West Coast Tiger     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
The Tyee is talking about this story.
From: I never was and never will be a Conservative | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
No Yards
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4169

posted 13 January 2006 10:26 AM      Profile for No Yards   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by leftcoastguy:
[QB]Harper handled this incident like a champ - quite the contrast with the way Martin has blown the Income Trust caper and the lack of ministerial accountability by Goodale.

I'd reserve judgment on that for a while ... CBC reported this morning on Newsworld that Zeisman says he actually told the CPC about the charges when he was charged.

Harper may have known (or should have known) about the charges in advance of the news being publicly released ... Harper may have waited to see if he could ignore a criminal CPC MP until after he was elected (and why not, for the CPC, even a defrocked CPC MP is still better than a sitting NDP or Liberal MP.)

From: Defending traditional marriage since June 28, 2005 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Briguy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1885

posted 13 January 2006 10:32 AM      Profile for Briguy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by No Yards:

I'd reserve judgment on that for a while ... CBC reported this morning on Newsworld that Zeisman says he actually told the CPC about the charges when he was charged.

Harper may have known (or should have known) about the charges in advance of the news being publicly released ... Harper may have waited to see if he could ignore a criminal CPC MP until after he was elected (and why not, for the CPC, even a defrocked CPC MP is still better than a sitting NDP or Liberal MP.)

Not that I'm one to defend the neo-Cons, but I wonder if Zeisman is just saying this to cover his own ass. Or to hurt the party, which was pretty quick to drop him (rightly so, IMO).

Nonetheless, I hope Zeisman's claim is true! Popcorn, etc.

From: No one is arguing that we should run the space program based on Physics 101. | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
No Yards
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4169

posted 13 January 2006 10:53 AM      Profile for No Yards   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Well, seems as though he was charged with this crime in July of 2004, so at best even if Harper didn't know, he's and the party have had over a year to find out ... and since he claims they do background checks (including criminal) for all their candidates, I don't know how they can claim they didn't know.
From: Defending traditional marriage since June 28, 2005 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
West Coast Tiger
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10186

posted 13 January 2006 11:03 AM      Profile for West Coast Tiger     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Good grief, No Yards! That is so TRUE. I completely missed that!!
Screaming Lord Byron
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4717

posted 13 January 2006 11:29 AM      Profile for Screaming Lord Byron     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by No Yards:
Well, seems as though he was charged with this crime in July of 2004, so at best even if Harper didn't know, he's and the party have had over a year to find out ... and since he claims they do background checks (including criminal) for all their candidates, I don't know how they can claim they didn't know.

Their background checks are seriously lax then. If Zeisman slipped through the net, who else is there? I'll bet there's quite a few journalists looking into that one, right with a week-and-a-half to go.
Who knows what they may dig up?

Albireo
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3052

posted 13 January 2006 11:47 AM      Profile for Albireo     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Well, if he was charged last year, but has not been tried & convicted, then he doesn't have a criminal record. Would it even show up in a check?
Hephaestion
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4795

posted 13 January 2006 11:48 AM      Profile for Hephaestion   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post
It's interesting that in all the coverage that I've heard on CBC Radio about this, there has been hardly a WORD about who is benefitting from all this -- Alex Atamanenko.

I guess mentioning him would be.... disloyal.

mary123
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6125

posted 13 January 2006 11:50 AM      Profile for mary123     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Yeah how many more criminals are running for the conservatives?
Is this how the cons are going to keep Canadians safe from criminals if they don't even know how to run security checks on their own people.

Canada is so screwed if the cons are elected. Pray we don't have a New Orleans like disaster here because Harper will mess that up like the republicans did.

My hope is Canadians wake up from this election coma they seem to be in.

[ 13 January 2006: Message edited by: mary123 ]

From: ~~Canada - still God's greatest creation on the face of the earth~~ | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
F.
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10725

posted 13 January 2006 11:55 AM      Profile for F.     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Harper handled this incident like a champ

Actually, from the press conference I saw, Harper merely stated that he would wait until the issue "sorted itself out" before inviting the candidate back into the party. Hardly a tough stand against possible corruption.

Screaming Lord Byron
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4717

posted 13 January 2006 12:01 PM      Profile for Screaming Lord Byron     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Well, if he was charged last year, but has not been tried & convicted, then he doesn't have a criminal record. Would it even show up in a check?

Wouldn't the charge be reported? Did he tell no-one?

West Coast Tiger
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10186

posted 13 January 2006 12:13 PM      Profile for West Coast Tiger     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by mary123:
Yeah how many more criminals are running for the conservatives?

More to the point: How many Conservatives in this country have ever been involved in a hate crime, serious/violent abortion protest, redneck fist fight, etc...? Or is only elitist, white collar type crime more palatable to them?

And how many other Con candidates have a record and didn't 'report it' to the party??? hmmmm... makes me wonder.

jeff house
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 518

posted 13 January 2006 12:14 PM      Profile for jeff house     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:

Police maintain records of pending charges, which are computerized.

As well, courts maintain a docket, and the accused names are displayed outside of a given courtroom to provide notice to the public that the proceedings are occurring.

Police often release information to the media concerning people they are charging, and the offences they are charging them with.

In some cases, police have been known to notify the media when they execute a search warrant, as was the case with the former BC Premier, who they successfully disparaged by this publicity.

scott
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 637

posted 13 January 2006 12:50 PM      Profile for scott   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hephaestion:
It's interesting that in all the coverage that I've heard on CBC Radio about this, there has been hardly a WORD about who is benefitting from all this -- Alex Atamanenko.

This is the big unanswered question – “where will the Con vote go?” Reporters are having a hard time finding a former Con who still intends to do so, although that might change once the shock wears off. Con signs are coming down. I have seen some with Zeisman’s name cut off, just leaving “Conservative”. I think that a lot on Cons will just stay home. Perhaps a bump for the Libs, but not much. I will repost my stats from the other thread:

2004:
Con: 36%
NDP: 35%
Lib: 18%
GRN: 8%

My call now:
NDP: 45%
Con: 25%
Lib: 18%
GRN: 12%

or best case:
NDP: 45%
Con: 24%
GRN: 16%
Lib: 15%

Also lets not forget that there are about 2.3% Independent, Canadian Action Party and Marijuana votes cast last time that are in play this time:
Wikipedia: British Columbia Southern Interior

The other candidates are all PO’d about all the attention that Zeisman's Follies have attracted. They have not been able to get their issues on the table because all the press has been about Zeisman's latest gaffe.

Hephaestion
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4795

posted 14 January 2006 12:43 PM      Profile for Hephaestion   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post
Y'know what's *really* fun, is knowing how frustrated all the Reformatories in this riding feel with nobody to vote for. *snerk*
Albireo
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3052

posted 14 January 2006 01:17 PM      Profile for Albireo     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Oh, I'm sure that the hard-core ones will all still vote for Zeisman.

Besides, (allegedly) smuggling stuff across the border to avoid taxes is just a logical extension of the core value of conservatives: greed.

scott
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 637

posted 14 January 2006 02:38 PM      Profile for scott   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Y'know what's *really* fun, is knowing how frustrated all the Reformatories in this riding feel with nobody to vote for. *snerk*

Interesting. When it is all over it is the percentage vote that will be looked at and analysed. The Libs, NDP and Green percentage will all go up by default even if they get the same number of votes as last time.

Maritimesea
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 8953

posted 14 January 2006 02:40 PM      Profile for Maritimesea     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Removed-moved to a more relevant thread

[ 14 January 2006: Message edited by: Maritimesea ]

Mike N
recent-rabble-rouser
Babbler # 11736

posted 16 January 2006 06:45 PM      Profile for Mike N        Edit/Delete Post
According to CKNW Radio Jan 15, the Conservative Riding Association in the Southern Interior will not comment on whether they will back Derek Zeisman in his campaign. Why not? Clearly they must drop him. This explains why his signage is still up on their Grand Forks office. If they won’t comment then I assume they must still support him!
Hephaestion
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4795

posted 16 January 2006 07:30 PM      Profile for Hephaestion   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post
That's not what Zeisman is saying...

quote:
January 15, 2005

For immediate release

Zeisman Apologizes To People Of Bc Southern Interior

Seeks forgiveness; urges continued support of Conservative cause.

TRAIL -- Speaking from his hospital bed, in Trail, where he is still recovering from the Dec. 20th highway accident, BC Southern Interior Conservative candidate Derek Zeisman today made the following statement:

“Words cannot express how sorry I am for having betrayed the trust of the people of BC Southern Interior particularly my dedicated Conservative supporters and volunteers by failing to disclose that I remain under investigation for six charges under the federal Customs Act.

“It never was my intention to hurt or embarrass anyone as a result of this matter. Regrettably, the exact opposite has occurred. I sincerely apologize to my party leader, Stephen Harper, my fellow Conservative candidates, my hardworking campaign volunteers and most of all, the good people of BC Southern Interior, for having brought criticism and ridicule upon your beautiful riding.

“I want to ensure the people of Canada, and Conservatives in particular, that I have nothing but the highest respect for our law enforcement and judicial systems. The illegal and unethical behaviour of so many Liberals in recent years is as much a cause of concern for me as anyone else.

“Unfortunately, it is currently I who finds himself with a legal cloud over his head. I will have my day in court, shortly, and I am very hopeful that I will be fully exonerated of the charges now before me.

“Since I was a young boy, it has always been my hope, my dream, to help my fellow Canadians in the best way I know how. Just as other Canadians find their place in business, law, health care or the trades, so do I continue to believe my place lies in public service, namely politics.

“Contrary to media reports, I have not been removed as the Conservative candidate in BC Southern Interior. Party officials have assured me that they continue to support my candidacy. However, Mr Harper has made it clear that in the event that I am elected, I will not be permitted to join the Conservative caucus until such time as I am cleared of the charges before me. I think this is a fair and reasonable proposal, one that is in keeping with the notion that the accused is innocent until proven guilty in a court of law.

“I know my actions have angered and offended many of the fine voters of BC Southern Interior. Again, I truly regret having let you down at this crucial time in Canadaís existence. But regardless of my own imperfections, I wish to offer this plea: if you favour first-class health care, a stronger economy, lower taxes, safer streets, strengthened education and job training, and true democratic accountability in government, I urge you to mark your ballot with the Conservatives on Jan. 23rd. I promise you this: if elected, we will work harder than we have ever worked before, to earn your trust, confidence and respect. We owe it to Canadians to give them the kind of government they have long deserved but have long been denied.”

However, Colin Metcalf of the BC Conservatives in Vancouver yesterday told an associate of mine that Zeisman was going to have to be responsible for everything he put in the press release above, as Metcalf "[didn't] know what 'party officials' Zeisman was referring to" when he maintained that there was still backing for his candidacy.

(However, as my friend noted, it's not like it matters in the greater scheme of things, since Zeisman doesn't have a hope in hell of winning this riding now.)

Hephaestion
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4795

posted 17 January 2006 12:10 AM      Profile for Hephaestion   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post
The next Member of Parliament for BC Southern Interior, Alex Atamanenko, greets Miss Charolotte Farrell while Main Streeting in New Denver, British Columbia.

Today's NDP -- we don't treat children and infants in a patronizing manner -- we treat them with respect, damn it.

Loretta
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 222

posted 17 January 2006 12:29 AM      Profile for Loretta     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Hey, Hephaestion, check your PMs.
From: The West Kootenays of BC | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
scott
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 637

posted 17 January 2006 02:20 AM      Profile for scott   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I have just come from the Green Party headquarters in Nelson. The staff there claim that they are getting a lot of dissafected Conservative voters coming in to ask about the platform, and some have left with lawn signs. No idea about how the Liberal vote has been affected. If the NDP is seen to have a lock on the riding, the Greens might also capture some of the green strategic vote that has gone to the NDP in close races.
Vansterdam Kid
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5474

posted 17 January 2006 03:25 AM      Profile for Vansterdam Kid   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
You know these Conservatives must be pathological, or have a hankering for punishment. Clearly he should've known he was going to get caught at one point, and clearly he should've known this wasn't going to turn out well. But it seems like he thought he could've got away with it since he was "never [his] intention to hurt or embaress anyone". I believe him, I believe he actually thought he was going to get away with hiding this. If he was honest, he wouldn't have hid it.

That's a cute pic btw.

[ 17 January 2006: Message edited by: Vansterdam Kid ]

scott
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 637

posted 17 January 2006 03:42 PM      Profile for scott   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Talk about taking chances. He knew this had to come out no later than his court date in early Feb., but sought the nomination anyway, perhaps hoping for an election in Jan.? A Jan. election was not in the cards when he was nominated. It almost worked. But what a disaster if he had won the election and then had to go to court the next week!.
Hephaestion
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4795

posted 17 January 2006 10:34 PM      Profile for Hephaestion   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by scott:

I have just come from the Green Party headquarters in Nelson. The staff there claim that they are getting a lot of dissafected Conservative voters coming in to ask about the platform, and some have left with lawn signs.

I'm hearing much the same thing; the Con vote has fractured, with many going to the Greens in frustration. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Greens crest at over 10% in this riding, maybe even as high as 12% -- much of it due to Con voters.

scott
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 637

posted 17 January 2006 11:17 PM      Profile for scott   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
I wouldn't be surprised to see the Greens crest at over 10% in this riding, maybe even as high as 12% -- much of it due to Con voters.

I agree, maybe even more, because I think that the Greens were poised to top 10% even before the Zeisman Implosion. A lot of bets are off once you lose a candidate. The Con organisers are soldiering on as if nothing has happened, but it is not washing with their supporters.

Hephaestion
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4795

posted 18 January 2006 11:20 AM      Profile for Hephaestion   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post
Zeisman just can't shut up!!! He was just on CBC Kelowna radio explaining how he is guaranteeing his prospective constituents that IF he is elected, and then later IF he is "not exonnerated" by the courts, he would step down so that a bi-election could be held to replace him.

What. The. Fuque... Is this guy really this delusional?!? Does he really think he has a hope in hell of winning?!

What. A. Maroon!

Cougyr
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3336

posted 18 January 2006 11:33 AM      Profile for Cougyr     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Does he really think he has a hope in hell of winning?

Well, does he? Not in Nelson, I'm sure, but that's a large riding with a lot of retired people, conservative voters.

From: over the mountain | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Amy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2210

posted 18 January 2006 11:55 AM      Profile for Amy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I have my doubts that he'll win in Trail or Castlegar... or Grand Forks... either. Although I can't say for the rest of the riding -- I've never stopped in Princeton for anything other than gas.
From: the whole town erupts and/ bursts into flame | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
scott
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 637

posted 05 February 2006 10:57 PM      Profile for scott   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
And here is how it worked out:

code:

New Democratic Party 22742 49.0% +13.9%
Liberal 9383 20.2% +2.2%
Conservative 8948 19.3% -17.3%
Green 5258 11.3% +3.4%
Marxist-Leninist 123 0.3% +0.2%

Pretty much as predicted.

Interesting to note that the overall number of votes was about the same - showing that a lot of Con voters switched rather than stay home (turnout was actually up). Full stats: Wikipedia: British Columbia Southern Interior

[ 05 February 2006: Message edited by: scott ]

West Coast Greeny
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6874

posted 06 February 2006 09:00 PM      Profile for West Coast Greeny     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Nicely done scott!

I believe that's the best result ever garnered by a babbler-candidate. If I'm wrong, I apoligize to candidates who did do better than scott.

Paul Gross
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3576

posted 06 February 2006 09:14 PM      Profile for Paul Gross   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
I believe that's the best result ever garnered by a babbler-candidate.

Perhaps if you exclude babblers with names starting with "P" that might be the case

Pierre D. won 12.8% and Paul S. won 19.2% this election.

S. Piatkowski won 17.4% in 1988.

[ 06 February 2006: Message edited by: Paul Gross ]

From: central Centretown in central Canada | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
scott
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 637

posted 07 February 2006 02:07 AM      Profile for scott   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by West Coast Greeny:
Nicely done scott!

I believe that's the best result ever garnered by a babbler-candidate.

Thanks, but I am not Scott Leyland, who was the candidate.

Nevertheless, AFAIK Scott got the highest vote of any Green in BC.

West Coast Greeny
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6874

posted 07 February 2006 01:37 PM      Profile for West Coast Greeny     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Oh, um... oops.

There are too many scotts around here, geez, I also got mixed up between the 2 green Cameron W's in Alberta.

scott
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 637

posted 07 February 2006 02:11 PM      Profile for scott   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by West Coast Greeny:
Oh, um... oops.

There are too many scotts around here, geez, I also got mixed up between the 2 green Cameron W's in Alberta.

No prob. How about a candidate who's campaign manager is his identical twin brother.Kootenay Green Party: Nelson - Creston Riding - Luke Crawford's Bio (scroll down for photo).

I guess that it can be revealed now - this is a secret Green strategy - have double everybody - it makes campaigning a lot easier.

[ 07 February 2006: Message edited by: scott ]

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca