babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » archived babble   » election 2006   » Dosanjh Biggest Donors Run Medical Firms

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Dosanjh Biggest Donors Run Medical Firms
West Coast Tiger
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10186

posted 12 January 2006 12:20 PM      Profile for West Coast Tiger     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Dosnajh's Biggest Donors Run Medical Firms

quote:
Vancouver MP raised bulk of his funds in Ontario in 2004.

Ujjal Dosanjh received $16,000 in campaign donations from two Ontario families involved in health-service companies when he was seeking election to the House of Commons in 2004. Six weeks later, he was named health minister in Paul Martin's Liberal government.

One of those companies advertises itself as being able to "fast track" care for injured people, providing a service to employers by returning their workers to the job more quickly than would the standard care offered by the public health system. An executive from the firm told The Tyee the chain of clinics has arrived at a way "to do business at a new level."

More at the link.

[ 12 January 2006: Message edited by: West Coast Tiger ]

From: I never was and never will be a Conservative | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Albireo
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3052

posted 12 January 2006 12:48 PM      Profile for Albireo     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
That has to be a conflict of interest... a health minister taking campaign contribution from health service companies! How is that even allowed?
Kim Smith
recent-rabble-rouser
Babbler # 11672

posted 12 January 2006 12:57 PM      Profile for Kim Smith        Edit/Delete Post
You know, everything about Ujjal Dosanjh is kind of, well, disquieting shall I say. Just one example. When Glen Clark's tenure as Premier was unwinding because of the RCMP investigation I kept hearing from this person I know who is a Liberal party member about how polling and other casual research the Liberals had all pointed to Dosanjh as the best possible successor the NDP could find. He was really promoting the idea, over and over, and there was always a kind of peculiar looking smile as he said it. Looking back, I just can't help wondering about that.
From: Vancouver Westside | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Michael Watkins
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 11256

posted 12 January 2006 01:25 PM      Profile for Michael Watkins   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Albireo:
That has to be a conflict of interest... a health minister taking campaign contribution from health service companies! How is that even allowed?

Dosanjh wasn't health minister at the time; he wasn't even an MP.

The bigger story is why did those families contribute to a BC candidate and, assuming the obvious health linkage, why did they have an expectation that Dosanjh, a lawyer and former BC Attorney General and NDP premier, would be in a position to influence health issues?

I guess the Liberal "ministries for sale" business was still going strong then.

From: Vancouver Kingway - Democracy In Peril | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
West Coast Tiger
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10186

posted 12 January 2006 01:32 PM      Profile for West Coast Tiger     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Watkins:
The bigger story is why did those families contribute to a BC candidate and, assuming the obvious health linkage, why did they have an expectation that Dosanjh, a lawyer and former BC Attorney General and NDP premier, would be in a position to influence health issues?

I guess the Liberal "ministries for sale" business was still going strong then.

Yup. That's what I was thinking Mike. It's awfully fishy. I wonder if the mainstream media will pick this up?

From: I never was and never will be a Conservative | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Albireo
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3052

posted 12 January 2006 01:33 PM      Profile for Albireo     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Dosanjh wasn't health minister at the time; he wasn't even an MP.

Well, Dosanjh looked like a shoe-in in Van South last time, and the Liberals looked like a good bet to form the government. I know that there was a lot of speculation that Dosanjh had been promised a cabinet position. Were specific rumours about him getting Health?

[ 12 January 2006: Message edited by: Albireo ]

West Coast Tiger
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10186

posted 12 January 2006 01:36 PM      Profile for West Coast Tiger     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Then there is this:

quote:
Singh was called to comment on the nature of his clinics' business and services, and of his connections to Dosanjh, but directed calls on to his clinical services director Tim Windsor.

"The federal health minister is a personal friend of Dr. Singh's brother," Windsor said, explaining that Ujjal Dosanjh recently met with Singh on a visit through Ontario.

rinne
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 9117

posted 12 January 2006 01:47 PM      Profile for rinne     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Wasn't it Dosanjh who said that people have no political memories?

It seems to me that this is at the cold dead heart of Liberal strategy. Recently though, I thought I heard a Liberal ad congratuating themselves on the accomplishments they have made with daycare, so perhaps we can expect a future in which they simply congratulate themselves for things they haven't done.

The Liberals have earned our contempt and I have little doubt that on the 23rd they will find out that we do have memories.

Michael Watkins
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 11256

posted 12 January 2006 01:53 PM      Profile for Michael Watkins   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I don't really mind that these people contribute; what I do mind is that Dosanjh doesn't own up to what his own opinions must be.

A person of concience doesn't accept funding from those who seek to promote a strategy not in keeping with what one believes.

Yes, in 2004 Dosanjh was a shoe in. I worked on that campaign (for the CPC) but with no inspiration. Our candidate then, a dentist, was a nice enough man but clearly was no match for the well connected Dosanjh, and none of the other parties could hope to unseat him.

Last summer I talked to Dosanjh for five minutes at a community event, as the Grewal affair was peaking. I believed Dosanjh was truthful in stating that Grewal approached them; but I still was left with the impression that it would not have mattered if Grewal didn't. My opinion of Grewal since his AG days has gone downhill rather steadily (he was the MLA for my riding at the time).

An aside: why Bev Mezlo, somewhat radical even by NDP standards (kidding, almost) choses to run in the fairly staid Vancouver South riding I'll never understand. She hasn't a hope in hell of ever winning there.

From: Vancouver Kingway - Democracy In Peril | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
West Coast Tiger
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10186

posted 12 January 2006 02:07 PM      Profile for West Coast Tiger     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by a citizen of winnipeg:
Wasn't it Dosanjh who said that people have no political memories?

The Liberals have earned our contempt and I have little doubt that on the 23rd they will find out that we do have memories.

I think you're right, ACOW. They are really going to lose a ton this time. I would personally feel very good if Dosanjh went down hard and his seat turns NDP. Hard to imagine, yet I think the Con-friendly media might pick up this story.

Last election, results were like this for Van South:

Lib - Ujjal Dosanjh - 18,196
Con - Victor Soo Chan - 10,426
NDP - Bev Meslo - 10,038
GRN - Doug Perry - 1,465

This time it is:

Lib - Ujjal Dosanjh
Con - Tarlok Sablok (new here)
NDP - Bev Meslo
GRN - Doug Perry

Now... We know that the Lib vote has been scathed. We just don't know by how much. The Con candidate is a newcomer to this riding, and the NDP and Greens are running vets. The dynamics here might be very good indeed. It is definitely one to follow.

Michael Watkins
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 11256

posted 12 January 2006 02:12 PM      Profile for Michael Watkins   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by West Coast Tiger:
Last election, results were like this for Van South:

Lib - Ujjal Dosanjh - 18,196
Con - Victor Soo Chan - 10,426
NDP - Bev Meslo - 10,038
GRN - Doug Perry - 1,465

This time it is:

Lib - Ujjal Dosanjh
Con - Tarlok Sablok (new here)
NDP - Bev Meslo
GRN - Doug Perry

If I am not mistaken, Tarlok Sablok has profile among Fraser Street merchants and was one of the sponsors of the community event last summer (big crowds) that I spoke to Dosanjh at.

Sablok is likely to have a lot more profile and support within the riding than Meslo; my guess is if people are ticked with Dosanjh, Sablok will get more of the spill over than Meslo.

Dosanjh is a real force in the riding; he has the support of his ethnic community and that goes a long way, as you can see in the results. If they drift, they won't go to Meslo.

Meslo is not that high profile outside of her core support, having run before I don't think will matter.

Albireo
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3052

posted 12 January 2006 02:29 PM      Profile for Albireo     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
If Bev Meslo were to sneak in she'd likely be the furthest left member of parliament, making Libby Davies look like Margaret Thatcher.
Kim Smith
recent-rabble-rouser
Babbler # 11672

posted 12 January 2006 04:26 PM      Profile for Kim Smith        Edit/Delete Post
quote:

Yup. That's what I was thinking Mike. It's awfully fishy. I wonder if the mainstream media will pick this up?

Don't count on CBC Vancouver to give this any play, unless they decide that they are going to try to come to Dosanjh's rescue by putting out some kind of counter-spin item. Dosanjh has a very, very loyal following in CBC Vancouver and they aren't going to betray him now.

Cartman
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7440

posted 12 January 2006 07:41 PM      Profile for Cartman        Edit/Delete Post
And it looks like he is gonna have to jump ship...again. Will they follow?
From: Bring back Audra!!!!! | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Michael Watkins
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 11256

posted 12 January 2006 08:44 PM      Profile for Michael Watkins   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Loyal following in CBC Vancouver? I was unaware of that, but will be seeing someone from the news team in a couple hours and ask.

As for jumping ship, I think we should start a rumour that Dosanjh is jumping ship to the Conservatives.

Full circle as they say.

rinne
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 9117

posted 12 January 2006 10:14 PM      Profile for rinne     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post

radiorahim
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2777

posted 12 January 2006 11:07 PM      Profile for radiorahim     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Kind of like Sarmite Bulte, Parlimentary Secretary to the Heritage Minister receiving campaign donations from the copyright holders lobby.
From: a Micro$oft-free computer | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
West Coast Tiger
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10186

posted 13 January 2006 02:54 AM      Profile for West Coast Tiger     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
The NDP is paying attention to this story.

quote:
Vancouver's top on-line magazine thetyee.ca reports today that the biggest donors to Ujjal Dosanjh's election bid in 2004 were two Ontario-based for-profit health services companies:

Special mention to The Tyee. Way to go, Tyee!

Kim Smith
recent-rabble-rouser
Babbler # 11672

posted 13 January 2006 04:24 AM      Profile for Kim Smith        Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Loyal following in CBC Vancouver? I was unaware of that, but will be seeing someone from the news team in a couple hours and ask.

Please do. And don't take BS for an answer. Ask about Vic Adopia's story about Roslyn Hart, the Burnaby home maker from the very lefty family who has now converted to Liberalism. Which Burnaby NDP campaigns did she ever really work on, and what did she really do? Canvassing? Signs? What?

leftcoastguy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5232

posted 13 January 2006 04:41 AM      Profile for leftcoastguy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
The NDP is paying attention to this story.

Special mention to The Tyee. Way to go, Tyee!

WCT

Always enjoy your posts.

Gotta love some of the Tyee comments section after the article:

quote:
: Garyposted: 16 Hours Ago

What pisses me off the most is that the governments hold study after study behind closed doors in their little ivory towers and can only come up with the known fact that the system isn't working.
The very few times I have been in the medical system (in hospital) I have witnessed time after time staff that was standing around loitering, talking about nothing that was to do with the job at hand. Millions of dollars wasted on idle time.
At those times I wondered just how fast I would have been fired for doing the same thing.
I now have a family member that has cancer and has had to prod these people at every turn. He started keeping a diary of all the B.S. He has had to go through right from the start. And if anything goes wrong he is making sure I get that diary. As well as his diary I have one on the fast tracking of an operation I had, done by the insurance company, so that they would not have to pay my wages for an extended period.
Let's get these fat cat bureaucrats of their collective asses and get them into solving the waste problems of this system. Maybe the auditor-general should have a look at the system. She might get things happening.
commentor: rjmposted: 16 Hours AgoQuote:
Everyone is following the rules. Our Medicare is as well

I have a difficult time understanding how you people cant seem to see through the fog of your ideology far enough to understand that you cannot decrease cost by adding cost.

profit is a component of cost, it adds to the cost. when you add cost components that dont exist under the public system, you increase the cost.

adding to the problem of increased cost is the corruption and graft that inevitably accompanies every feeding frenzy of the sort that these insatiable bloodsuckers cannot resist.

the upward pressure on profit is ceaseless and, in the degenerating model of democracy in this country, is becoming more powerful every day.

you argue in favour of graft and corruption and expect me to accept your position?

pfft

tks,
rjm
commentor: Grumpyposted: 15 Hours AgoWE must begin to realize that our medicare system is on the verge of collapse. There are many reasons and I have come around to the belief that we need the private sector to compete somewhat with the public medical system.

I also think that the private sector must take 'public cases', with medicare paying the tab.

Dosanjh is another case, true case of an incompetent and immoral politician. Look what he did to the provincial NDP, instead of trying to save the party from oblivion, he played potentate, travelling India.

One wonders if Dosanjh, like Larry Campbell, were Liberal operatives, set to destroy all opposition, they couldn't have been so easy as just to buy them off?
commentor: Elliotposted: 15 Hours Agojust over 700 dejected ndp'ers decided this guy would become the premier of b.c. after clark self-destructed. he did nothing while in office and is nowhere near as bright as everyone assumes. he's in way over his head as minister of health. it's yet another liberal example of a disaster waiting to happen.
commentor: BC Maryposted: 15 Hours AgoI support Canada's Health Care system every way I can. But I do ask: why can't Health Care leaders get a grip on reorganizing the system to be more efficient? We can't simply blame the people going to Emerg for sore throats. The systemic problems are more like this, for example:

Yesterday I was called back to get an ECG re-done, as the previous ECG had been faulty. When I walked in, they started automatically to sit me down for blood tests. No, no, I protested, just an ECG.

When the ECG was done, I had a hunch and enquired. "If an ECG is faulty and has to be re-done, is the Health Care system charged for one ECG? or two?

You guessed, didn't you. Two. Besides which, if I hadn't stopped them, they'd have charged up a batch of duplicated, unnecessary blood tests.

These people cannot re-organize themselves. It needs to happen from a very high level, with the support of us all. Continued sniping and griping only puts a smile on George W. Bush's face.
commentor: BC Maryposted: 15 Hours Ago... which is not to endorse Ujjal Dosanjh who has one heck of a lot to answer for in British Columbia and ... apparently ... now nation-wide. The rotter.
commentor: Frankposted: 15 Hours AgoI haven't read the article, jsut the headline. But I hope Dosj loses his seat. Maybe he was a good lawyer but he's sure been a bust as a politician provincially and federally.
commentor: Bobb999posted: 15 Hours AgoThere is a growing Tsunami of bad news swamping the Libs on the lapsed ethics front
I don't think the wave has even peaked yet.

From the latest Strategic Council poll in today's Globe:

OTTAWA -- Conservative Leader Stephen Harper has for the first time displaced Liberal Leader Paul Martin as the politician Canadians most favour to lead the country, a new poll shows.

Riding a surge of support in British Columbia, the Prairie provinces and Quebec, Mr. Harper has the trust of 32 per cent of voters, compared with 25 per cent for Mr. Martin and 17 per cent for NDP Leader Jack Layton.

AND, ANOTHER new scandal with an attempt by the Lib gov't to cover it up!
This has to do with the Toronto Waterfront Revitalization plan, and misspent dollars,
contracts granted without public bids (against gov't rules), the top guy running it getting paid an obscene salary... The audit recommended a formal investigation into abuses in the program but that recommendation was deleted from the version released to the public!
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/serv...National/Canada

Bottom Line: Libs are toast. Too much poor ethics baggage. Voters are fed up and simply want a change of gov't - any change, at what ever cost.
Unfortunately, the result is likely to be "out of the frying pan and into the fire" for Canada. I'm p*ssed off it's come to this.
commentor: alexwhposted: 14 Hours AgoI am dyslexic but that Ujjal headline still looks kind of reversed. Did someone hire a Vancouver Sun staffer to check for typos?

The worse it gets for the Liberals as we go from the idea of the inevitable Conservative minority government to the inevitable Conservative majority government, the better the third solution (the NDP) looks. How can we get all those disgusted Liberal supporters to switch to the NDP? BC has shown that powerful provincial parties can go from power to a wipeout (the Socreds) and the almost wipeout of the Provincial NDP. Why cannot the same pattern be repeated here?

Alex Waterhouse-Hayward
commentor: redrivergirlposted: 14 Hours AgoThe libs will get re-elected in spite of themselves.

We have to eliminate lobbying completely, or as someone suggested make it ten years from leaving gov't before you can lobby and 5 years before you can receive the perk of a ceo position from industry. Kickbacks and bribes should yeild a ten year prison term.

Until we do this or something similar we will be increasingly a banana republic where bribes are the order of the day and democracy bastardized.
commentor: redrivergirlposted: 14 Hours Agoyield...

In other words, we will be the victims of crime until we demand these changes. And, the very serious problem we have with pollution will never be addressed resulting in premature deaths. This also will protect people who go into politics as well from undue temptation and assimilating into corruption.
commentor: redrivergirlposted: 14 Hours AgoAny party who ran aggressively against 'free-trade'/nafta would win a landslide. They would have to also aggressively fight the establishment which would predict the end of the world if 'free-trade' were eliminated.
commentor: alexwhposted: 14 Hours AgoAs a former Argentine and resident of Mexico we all laughed when Americans were shocked to find out that Nixon was a crook. Back then you could have defined the difference between Latin Americans and Americans (I did not know much about Canada in those days to have an opinion) in that we Latinos expected all politicians to cheat and steal while Americans had high hopes; were idealists and then suffered the consequences of disappointment. I think that the solution is to instill in our schools (both at an elementary and secondary level) an awareness of political corruption and to promote that youth (with the idealism that youth can have) when older, if they do not forget, can change what they don't like.

I hated my two year stint in the Argentine Navy. My boss, an American Naval Captain (Senior Naval Advisor in Argentina whom I translated for) told me, "It is obvious you hate the armed forces. My advice to you is to not rebel know as you will be put in the brig; sit tight and when you reach a position of power in your later years, then change the system." Do we then become complacent? I think we do.
commentor: neoconposted: 14 Hours Agoredrivergirl: what's wrong with free trade?
commentor: BC Maryposted: 14 Hours AgoIf Fate is kind, we'll get a minority Liberal government with an increased NDP presence.

Now, the procedure: the way these things work out, is that while at prayer, beseeching the Fates to be so kind, we must also pledge something in return.

Pledge to keep a close watch on government, pledge to let government know what you expect, to send a dart when they begin to veer off and a bouquet when they do something right ... it's what we should be doing all the time anyway. But now it's pledge-time.

It's crisis time. Darned if I want to see George W. Bush and Prime Minister SHarper singing "When Irish Eyes Are Smiling" in Ottawa.
commentor: Ron Erwinposted: 13 Hours AgoNixon wasn't a crook. Svend Robinson is a crook.
Tell me how Nixon was a crook.
And don't even try to spew me a bunch of left wing dogma, just tell me what he stole.
I lived through his administration. It was a time when the mainstream media was in control.
Thank God now we have access to more conservative sources of information today.
Long live America.
commentor: Colinposted: 13 Hours AgoBC Mary

I get the feeling that the health-care system suffers from three things:

An aging population boom putting strains on a generally aging infrastructure and the constant introduction of new medical techniques. The shame is that the boom issue is known and could have been better planned for.

Non-core service bloating and bureaucracy that forms in all organizations and needs periodic pruning.

Deliberate mismanagement to create the atmosphere for the demand for private clinc’s to flourish.

How much of one over the other I can’t say

BTW the NDP need to update their ads for the duration of the campaign.

West Coast Tiger
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10186

posted 13 January 2006 08:42 AM      Profile for West Coast Tiger     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Hey LCG,

Thanks for the compliment on my posts!

As for all The Tyee comments on the article:

Some very good comments were posted there. I read through them all -- Some good arguments. My hope was that this will looked at more closely in the mainstream media... but I'm not holding out a lot of hope.

writer
editor emeritus
Babbler # 2513

posted 13 January 2006 12:51 PM      Profile for writer     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
The NDP has picked it up: In case you missed it: Biggest donors to Health Minister: private health-services companies
West Coast Tiger
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10186

posted 13 January 2006 05:38 PM      Profile for West Coast Tiger     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Dosanjh’s donors

quote:
Interest in The Tyee’s recent stories on donations to Minister of Health Ujjal Dosanjh (which can be read here and here), prompts us to publish these breakouts from campaign contributions records:

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca