babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » archived babble   » election 2006   » Campaign Signs?

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Campaign Signs?
RUredE
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 11494

posted 29 December 2005 03:33 PM      Profile for RUredE        Edit/Delete Post
I'm just curious if election signs are the same across the country? Here in the B.C. interior the Liberal signs just have Liberal colours. where is the 'Liberal'?

Also, maybe my eyesight is less acute than in the past but parties should be aware that this time of year many roadsides are only passed in darkness or dim light. Many just aren't visible.

[ 29 December 2005: Message edited by: RUredE ]

TheStudent
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 11410

posted 29 December 2005 03:37 PM      Profile for TheStudent        Edit/Delete Post
Here in Ontario they say "Paul Martin's Liberals". As to the visibility, I noticed that the NDP in my riding has begun making some signs with neon colours. While this is a bit eyesorish during the day, it makes for excellent visibility at night.

[ 29 December 2005: Message edited by: TheStudent ]

From: Re-instate Audra Now! | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
F.
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10725

posted 29 December 2005 03:39 PM      Profile for F.     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Bill Graham in Toronto Centre seems to be recycling the Team Martin signs from the last election.

In Toronto Danforth, Coyne is using the same smaller, unbranded signs used by Ianno in Trinity Spadina. Like Ianno, Coyne's team is aggressively hanging signs on public property: the railings on the bridge on Gerrard Street have been blitzed, as well as several empty lots and a public park.

Apparently her team had the good sense not to hang signs on the fence of the Don Jail.

RUredE
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 11494

posted 29 December 2005 03:44 PM      Profile for RUredE        Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by TheStudent:
As to the visibility, I noticed that the NDP in my riding has begun making some signs with neon colours.
]

That's not a bad idea. The colours on the NDP signs here seem washed out. The Green Party has it's name in big print which helps. I can't comment on the Conservatives as I haven't see one of their signs (the flood hasn't started).

lagatta
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2534

posted 29 December 2005 04:17 PM      Profile for lagatta     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Here the NDP has really ugly signs (but then, I hate orange).

The best signs here by far are the Bloc ones with Duceppe in front of various Québec winterscapes (I've seen the one here and in Québec City; imagine there are others). However their signs for local candidates are rather strange (local candidate against snowy window seen from an interior, and not very clear).

The only signs I've seen defaced (rather systematically) are the Conservative ones, with words such as "Reform" ('Conservateurs' crossed out) and "Bush"...

From: Se non ora, quando? | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
solarpower
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7609

posted 29 December 2005 06:18 PM      Profile for solarpower   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
The colour of my neighbours Conservative sign is blue box blue. Which is exactly what i keep thinking it is when i glance out the window.
She did phone me to cut up the neon orange/neon green sign on my lawn.
Hey, at least I won't confuse the recycling crew.

From: that which the creator created from | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Reality. Bites.
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6718

posted 29 December 2005 06:35 PM      Profile for Reality. Bites.        Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by lagatta:
The only signs I've seen defaced (rather systematically) are the Conservative ones, with words such as "Reform" ('Conservateurs' crossed out) and "Bush"...

Hmmm... are they defaced systematically or artistically?

And do you need anymore supplies?

From: Gone for good | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
guelpher
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 9994

posted 29 December 2005 09:26 PM      Profile for guelpher     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
defacing, stealing, damaging signs is for immature loosers.
Berlynn
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2630

posted 29 December 2005 10:27 PM      Profile for Berlynn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Palliser is decorated with loverly lime-ish green and orange-orange Dusel signs. I love it! I've seen them on every major roadway in the Regina part of the constituency (but haven't been over to Moose Jaw yet). I particularly like the Lakeview strip of Albert Street. And Elphinstone-Montague-Argyle Rd is sweet, too.
glacier76
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7686

posted 29 December 2005 10:45 PM      Profile for glacier76     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I'm interested in what the Conservative signs from other ridings say. In North Surrey, David Matta's sign states, "Finally, A Fresh Face For North Surrey." Given that our last MP was Chuck Cadman who DIED, that sounds rather insensitive, no? In Nina Grewal's sign, there's no "fresh face" statement (of course, she's running for re-election).
Albireo
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3052

posted 29 December 2005 10:56 PM      Profile for Albireo     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by glacier76:
In North Surrey, David Matta's sign states, "Finally, A Fresh Face For North Surrey." Given that our last MP was Chuck Cadman who DIED, that sounds rather insensitive, no?
Rather insensitive and rather stupid.

Amy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2210

posted 29 December 2005 10:58 PM      Profile for Amy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Around Trail and Castlegar I've several locations where the CPC candidate has put up all these little signs in a series, each with a part of a shot at the Liberals. Things to the effect of "It's the truth/It's not a lie/Martin is Liberal/With your money/Derek Zaisman". (Incase what I'm meaning isn't making sense, it's set up so that each section is on a little sign, with a big one at the end for his name.) They're popping up all over the sides of the highway, and I actually wonder if they conform to the Elections Canada regulations.

The NDP signs around here are mostly the new bright orange and 'lime' green scheme... They don't strike me as colours that will last, but they're alright for now I guess.

From: the whole town erupts and/ bursts into flame | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
obscurantist
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 8238

posted 29 December 2005 11:10 PM      Profile for obscurantist     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Amy:
each section is on a little sign, with a big one at the end for his name.

The NDP signs around here are mostly the new bright orange and 'lime' green scheme.

Zeisman's campaign must be going for something like the old "Burma Shave" ads, which consisted of series of billboards along a highway that formed a short and humorous rhyme, except it sounds like the campaign could do a better job of making the rhyme funny and, um, making it rhyme.

I'm not wild about the bright orange / lime green scheme either. Maybe it'll grow on me. It makes me think of Slurpees at 7-Eleven, or some sort of unnaturally brightly coloured candy.

From: an unweeded garden | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
poliscinerd
recent-rabble-rouser
Babbler # 11526

posted 30 December 2005 04:41 PM      Profile for poliscinerd        Edit/Delete Post
Why would you deface other campaigns election materials?

First of all, its illegal

Second of all, if you disagree with them and find the irrelevant, etc why would you waste time defacing the signs?

Thirdly, it only draws attention to them, and might even bring voters onside for that party.

I don't go around in Halton defacing Dipper signs, or even the Lieberals. And if the Greens had any signs I wouldn't touch them either.

obscurantist
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 8238

posted 31 December 2005 09:21 PM      Profile for obscurantist     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
One problem with the orange-and-green NDP signs seems to be that they fade, unlike the Tory or Liberal ones. Going along a highway in Delta after several days of heavy rain, I saw that the orange on the smaller NDP signs had faded to a light yellow, and were hard to read. I hope this won't be symbolic of anything else during the campaign!

[ 31 December 2005: Message edited by: obscurantist ]

From: an unweeded garden | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Amy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2210

posted 31 December 2005 09:47 PM      Profile for Amy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Yeah, they do fade. I also think that they are not quite as visible as the bolder colours... When placed beside the red, or the blue, or the green and yellow, the lime and orange seems to be a little smaller or something. I am much more partial to the old signs, with orange and black, even though I dont really like them either.

Bah! Orange.

From: the whole town erupts and/ bursts into flame | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Left Turn
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 8662

posted 01 January 2006 07:29 AM      Profile for Left Turn     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I don't have a problem with the orange, but the lime green reminds me too much of industrial waste. Not what the NDP is going for, I can be sure.
skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 01 January 2006 08:20 AM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I think we should plump for something a little closer to pumpkin, maybe, and lose the green altogether - a nice aubergine would be a better complement, or even a terra-cotta red.

(Yes, I'm describing my planned living room. Why do you ask?)

Reality. Bites.
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6718

posted 01 January 2006 10:02 AM      Profile for Reality. Bites.        Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Albireo:
Rather insensitive and rather stupid.

When a popular figure is considered disloyal by their former party, even when it was the party that rejected them, as in Cadman's case, they turn nasty on them. Stronach, Brison and Dosanj are other examples.

Such tactics seem to usually backfire. Undoubtedly they will in this riding.

C.Morgan
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5987

posted 01 January 2006 11:35 AM      Profile for C.Morgan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
The Klein Conservatives used some bloody ugly fluorescent orange signs in the last two elections.

While they were awful to look at, they sure caught the eye.

HeywoodFloyd
token right-wing mascot
Babbler # 4226

posted 01 January 2006 11:46 AM      Profile for HeywoodFloyd     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
"Finally, A Fresh Face For North Surrey." Given that our last MP was Chuck Cadman who DIED, that sounds rather insensitive, no?

OH FFS. What a jerk.

Well, that's one seat I wont cry over if we lose it.

From: Edmonton: This place sucks | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Bored Centrist
recent-rabble-rouser
Babbler # 11537

posted 01 January 2006 12:38 PM      Profile for Bored Centrist     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
In Barrie, Aileen Carroll has noticeably dropped the "Team Martin" signs that she used in 2004, opting instead for more generic signs emphasizing her name and a smaller Liberal logo. Interestingly, the Greens seem to be ahead of the NDP in terms of the number of signs out, likely in large part due to the personal popularity of the local candidate (really decent guy, btw).
Hephaestion
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4795

posted 01 January 2006 12:45 PM      Profile for Hephaestion   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post
quote:

"Finally, A Fresh Face For North Surrey." Given that our last MP was Chuck Cadman who DIED, that sounds rather insensitive, no?

Didn't Chuck's widow publicly endorse the NDP candidate for North Surrey, or am I remembering it wrong?

From: goodbye... :-( | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
ElizaQ
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 9355

posted 01 January 2006 01:31 PM      Profile for ElizaQ     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hephaestion:

Didn't Chuck's widow publicly endorse the NDP candidate for North Surrey, or am I remembering it wrong?

Yeah I pretty sure she did. It's Penny Priddy a great women in my opinion. I think it's a good example of people liking the person beyond whatever party they run with.

And whoever was helping Dave Matta with his messaging is a dolt. How utterly icky...

From: Eastern Lakes | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
T.O. Liberal-Conservative
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 11533

posted 01 January 2006 01:32 PM      Profile for T.O. Liberal-Conservative        Edit/Delete Post
Rumour has it that the Coreplast, which is the stuff they make the signs from, is in extremely short supply in Canada.

Conservative signs which say "Demand Better" instead of "Stand up for Canada" and Liberal signs which say "Team Martin" are probably there because the campaigns cannot get the Coreplast. Perhaps the N.D.P. has to face the same problem.

Maybe the best route is to go the Tom Wappel way and get your die hard supporters to store their signs on their property after the election, and bring them out on the next campaign. Wappel has signs going back to 1997 out on the streets.

glacier76
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7686

posted 01 January 2006 01:32 PM      Profile for glacier76     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I guess I didn't make myself clearer. David Matta's the Conservative candidate. And, yes, Mrs. Cadman is backing Penny Priddy.
ElizaQ
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 9355

posted 01 January 2006 01:41 PM      Profile for ElizaQ     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
The Con in my riding sign says "Fresh Ideas, Principled Leadership...."

Which, considering that in the past she has actively fought against Gay rights, has publicly spoken in opposition to homeosexuality in the past, has worked for orgs such as Focus on The Family and Realwomen and now is doing a pretty darn good job of distancing herself from it all and has good chance of getting in it's uber icky to drive by them everyday...

It makes me think I might even vote strategically. *sigh*

From: Eastern Lakes | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
jeff house
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 518

posted 01 January 2006 02:30 PM      Profile for jeff house     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Rumour has it that the Coreplast, which is the stuff they make the signs from, is in extremely short supply in Canada.

I went sledding in Riverdale yesterday, and noted that enterprising youngsters were using Deborah Coyne's large, slippery-n-shiny signs for downhill
adventure.

Jack Layton's signs were not being so used. I asked one kid and he said that the Coyne sign had been tacked up on his house without permission.

rabble-rouser
Babbler # 11533

posted 01 January 2006 02:43 PM      Profile for T.O. Liberal-Conservative        Edit/Delete Post
I guess these kids didn't want to be caught dead in Jack Layton Coreplast
Papal Bull
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7050

posted 01 January 2006 02:53 PM      Profile for Papal Bull   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
No, they'd be beaten up and the cool Jack Layton sign would be stolen. You can go sledbogganing (election sign sleighing) on any old CPC or LPC sign and the bullies will leave them alone. No one would be caught dead on a sign for losers!
From: Vatican's best darned ranch | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
F.
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10725

posted 01 January 2006 03:19 PM      Profile for F.     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Finally seeing some Shapcott signs in Toronto Centre, many of which are hanging from apartment/condo balconies for maximum visibility. According to his web site, Shapcott is being told by many constituents that they were fooled into voting Liberal last time, but will not make the same mistake this time.

Haven't seen a single Conservative sign anywhere from Etobicoke to Scarborough.

rabble-rouser
Babbler # 11533

posted 01 January 2006 03:27 PM      Profile for T.O. Liberal-Conservative        Edit/Delete Post
I have seen Conservative signs outside the houses of friends of mine who vote Conservative. I have also seen Conservative signs around Conservative campaign offices. You have to look hard, but you will find them

Conservative campaigns in Toronto are having a hard time finding volunteers to actually put up the signs.

That should be good for 0.001% of the vote!

jeff house
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 518

posted 01 January 2006 06:49 PM      Profile for jeff house     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
guess these kids didn't want to be caught dead in Jack Layton Coreplast

Actually, rumour has it that if you slide down the snowy hillside on a "Jack" sign, you get the same effect as when Aslan returned to Narnia.

kyle-c
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 11493

posted 02 January 2006 12:37 AM      Profile for kyle-c     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Anne McLellan is definitely leading the sign race here in Edmonton Centre.. One block must have had red signs on more than half the lots. Even though she always just squeaks in, she has a lot of strong supporters here. I suspect about 75% of the signs are hers.
Andy (Andrew)
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10884

posted 02 January 2006 05:17 PM      Profile for Andy (Andrew)   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Large riding. You are probably only looking in some areas.

Everyone who lives there needs to get out and not be complacent.

Reality. Bites.
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6718

posted 02 January 2006 05:42 PM      Profile for Reality. Bites.        Edit/Delete Post
I heard that if she wins, half the Conservative workers are going to work to separate from Edmonton Centre.
'topherscompy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2248

posted 03 January 2006 11:25 PM      Profile for 'topherscompy        Edit/Delete Post
i've noticed a bunch of olivia chow signs being vandalized here in the annex. several with moustaches drawn on her face, a couple with the word "bitch" scralled across her name, and one with "cunt" written on her face.

i don't know whether it's an organized attack on chow, or just bored teenagers with nowhere else to scribble (i've seen 3 ianno signs in the neighbourhood, a boatload & a half of chow signs, and none others.)

Deep Dish
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 9609

posted 04 January 2006 12:32 AM      Profile for Deep Dish     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Regina Lumsden Lake Centre, NDP is winning the sign war in Regina but there are not nearly as many as you would normally see. I also have not noticed any Jack Layton signs, which were around the last time.

The Tories have far more signs than normal. The Liberals virtually none.

Not sure what to take out of this. I expect each candidate to get around 30% - with most of the remainder going to the Tory and <2% Green support. This is a rematch minus Larry Spencer.

[ 04 January 2006: Message edited by: Deep Dish ]

From: halfway between the gutter and the stars | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Erstwhile
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4845

posted 04 January 2006 12:48 PM      Profile for Erstwhile     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I'd say in Palliser the Tory and NDP signs are about even in Regina and the NDP has the edge in Moose Jaw, though the Tories definitely have the advantage on the highway between(big signs on farmland). The Liberals are a visible, but still distant, third (as in the last election).

BTW, I should apologize to the Dave Batters campaign. Our lawn sign was torn down and I figured, as per usual, it was a Tory's doing, since in damn near every election I've been in it's been verified that Reformatories have torn down NDP signs. However in this case, later in the day I saw our sign in the middle of the street, and "Vote Green Party" had been scrawled across Jo-anne Dusell's name.

So, either it was a disgruntled Green, or a more-subtle-than-usual Tory. But on the face of it, I apologize to the Palliser Tories for assuming they were to blame.

[ 04 January 2006: Message edited by: Erstwhile ]

From: Deepest Darkest Saskabush | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
West Coast Greeny
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6874

posted 04 January 2006 01:30 PM      Profile for West Coast Greeny     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
In my riding there are a few lawn signs about, I'd say it's a tie between Colin Mayes (rural) and Alice Brown (urban), there are alot of liberal Will Hansma signs about (ditches on Highways), darn near no green signs.

What really seems different this campign is the size of the signs. This election, the 3 parties are using nice, big 5 x 5 signs, the conservative Candidate has his face plastered on it (because not many people really knows who Colin Mayes is)

RUredE
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 11494

posted 04 January 2006 01:38 PM      Profile for RUredE        Edit/Delete Post
One problem with a face on the sign is the temptation for vandalism. What kid can pass such a great target with a snowball or felt marker?
Erstwhile
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4845

posted 04 January 2006 01:43 PM      Profile for Erstwhile     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
"Vote Jack Layton. There's no point in drawing a moustache on his campaign signs."
skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 04 January 2006 01:44 PM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Aren't most signs now going on porches or balconies, or in windows? Isn't the ground frozen in most of the country?
RUredE
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 11494

posted 04 January 2006 01:52 PM      Profile for RUredE        Edit/Delete Post
Take a half inch cordless drill and a drill-bit of appropriate size and drill into the ground. (takes 2 seconds). If the hole isn't big enough just wiggle around with a crow bar or large knife, screwdriver, etc. (5 seconds). Put the sign wires or stick into the ground and pack around the top with a couple handfuls of dirty. If you pour a bit of water over the area it will freeze the sign in place.

The whole process might take a minute.

Erstwhile
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4845

posted 04 January 2006 01:56 PM      Profile for Erstwhile     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
We're also having a very mild winter out West, skdadl. I wouldn't be surprised if the ground is generally softer than normal for this time of year.
enki
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 11560

posted 04 January 2006 02:00 PM      Profile for enki     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by lagatta:
The best signs here by far are the Bloc ones with Duceppe in front of various Québec winterscapes (I've seen the one here and in Québec City; imagine there are others). However their signs for local candidates are rather strange (local candidate against snowy window seen from an interior, and not very clear).

It varies. Montreal at least has the candidate in front of part of the city. I think it's generally them in front of their local riding.

Duceppes is indeed really really nice looking though.

enki
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 11560

posted 04 January 2006 02:02 PM      Profile for enki     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by obscurantist:
One problem with the orange-and-green NDP signs seems to be that they fade, unlike the Tory or Liberal ones. Going along a highway in Delta after several days of heavy rain, I saw that the orange on the smaller NDP signs had faded to a light yellow, and were hard to read. I hope this won't be symbolic of anything else during the campaign!

[ 31 December 2005: Message edited by: obscurantist ]

Might depend on the area. My NDP sign has seen a lot of cruddy weather (and a few kicks), and it's still bright and clear as the day it was put up.

skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 04 January 2006 02:03 PM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Is anyone seeing properties with signs for more than one party/candidate?
enki
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 11560

posted 04 January 2006 02:04 PM      Profile for enki     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by T.O. Liberal-Conservative:
Conservative campaigns in Toronto are having a hard time finding volunteers to actually put up the signs.

Not on the main streets, maybe, but I've seen quite a few in the residential areas. We have 6 Conservative signs and my lonely little NDP sign on my street in Beaches-East York.

RUredE
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 11494

posted 04 January 2006 02:17 PM      Profile for RUredE        Edit/Delete Post
In Kootenay-Columbia about 10 to 1 Conservative signs in rural areas and in town maybe 3 to 1. The Conservative signs have just been popping up this last few days. As stated, those faces sure make great snowball targets for kids.
fatal ruminate
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5280

posted 04 January 2006 02:20 PM      Profile for fatal ruminate     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Papal Bull:
No, they'd be beaten up and the cool Jack Layton sign would be stolen. You can go sledbogganing (election sign sleighing) on any old CPC or LPC sign and the bullies will leave them alone. No one would be caught dead on a sign for losers!

Chow Campaign

Not for this chap, it seems.

lonewolf2
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10589

posted 04 January 2006 02:26 PM      Profile for lonewolf2     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Re Chow link....

getting ERROR
The requested URL could not be retrieved

Euhemeros
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 11067

posted 04 January 2006 09:35 PM      Profile for Euhemeros     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:

I've only seen Nancy Clegg's signs fading. Of course, I haven't seen much NDP signs in my own riding (except for the big ones, one big one in total to be exact).

[ 04 January 2006: Message edited by: Euhemeros ]

Screaming Lord Byron
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4717

posted 04 January 2006 10:44 PM      Profile for Screaming Lord Byron     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by skdadl:
Is anyone seeing properties with signs for more than one party/candidate?

Yeah - lots of houses with both a John Chan NDP sign and a generic Green Party sign in Calgary Centre-North.

Contrarian
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6477

posted 04 January 2006 10:50 PM      Profile for Contrarian     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
One house in Kensington with signs for John Chan and Jim Prentice on the fence; a lot of renters in the area I think.
From: pretty far west | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Screaming Lord Byron
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4717

posted 04 January 2006 10:53 PM      Profile for Screaming Lord Byron     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I hadn't seen any Prentice lawn-signs, only big ones. That seems to be par for the course with Calgary Tories - they've been concentrating on other things, so I expect them to get lots out this weekend.

I have not seen one Ted Haney (Liberal) lawn sign in Calgary Nose Hill. I wonder if he's canvassing at all yet?

klein_4_president
recent-rabble-rouser
Babbler # 11571

posted 04 January 2006 11:30 PM      Profile for klein_4_president        Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by RUredE:
I'm just curious if election signs are the same across the country? Here in the B.C. interior the Liberal signs just have Liberal colours. where is the 'Liberal'?

Also, maybe my eyesight is less acute than in the past but parties should be aware that this time of year many roadsides are only passed in darkness or dim light. Many just aren't visible.

[ 29 December 2005: Message edited by: RUredE ]

um....let me go to the back shed and check what the Liberal signs I ripped down look like. yah they say Paul Martin's Liberals and are red. Too bad there isn't many signs left in my riding.... I have 73 in my shed. haha

From: Capitalismville, Ontario | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sean in Ottawa
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4173

posted 13 January 2006 10:30 AM      Profile for Sean in Ottawa     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I find this interesting:
I live in a condo townhouse development in Ottawa Vanier. In the last couple elections here there were about 4 Liberal signs, 2 conservative and one NDP (mine).
Now there are no conservative, no liberal and three NDP (one mine). In the area there are few conservatvie or Liberal signs on property.
No doubt the Liberals will win this riding as they always do.
I am wondering if they are now so unpopular that nobody wants to be seen with a Liberal sign. The Cons as well. Is it possible that many people will vote Conservative but will not admit this to their neighbours?
Or is there some sign war between the Libs and cons and they are stealing each other's signs.
Just thought I would mention that.
(Also I had to search way back to find a thread on lawn signs...)

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca